What is a good age for first Disney cruise?

alecsmom

I would like to get some opinions on what a good age is to take a child on their first Disney cruise. My husband and I have been on Royal Caribbean cruises in the past, but are ready to try the Disney cruise line, as we now have an 18 month old to think about.

I would just like to hear what kinds of experiences parents have had taking their toddlers and young children on Disney. I had heard that the age 5 was a good age to start taking children to Disneyworld - I just wondered if that held true for Disney cruises as well.

I took my then 4 year old for the first time. She loved it, experienced it, has memories of it. We enjoyed her taking this all in.

We took her back again when she was 5.

She will be on her fourth cruise before she turns 6. I started at 29. Someone say spoiled?

peter.gif

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miracle 7/10/04 NY to Bahamas and Port Canaveral

Disney Wonder 3/04/04

Pride 7/16/03 Bermuda

Legend 10/17/02 CTN

Disney Wonder 9/15/02

Destiny 4/29/01 Southern Caribbean

Victory 9/14/00 Canadian Maritimes

Triumph 9/99 Canadian Maritimes

Jubilee 4/98 Trans Pacific/Hawaii

Imagination 4/97 Western Caribbean

Imagination 4/96 Western Caribbean

Fascination 4/95 Southern Caribbean

Ecstasy 4/18/93 Eastern Caribbean

Fantasy 9/25/90 Bahamas

Jubilee 5/13/90 Mexican Riviera

NCL Seaward 1/15/89 Western Caribbean

Jubilee 4/24/88 Eastern Caribbean HONEYMOON

daffy.gif

MrPeteLI -

Thanks for your reply. I am planing on taking him when he's 4 1/2 - so I really appreciate your input. I'd like him to be able to remember and enjoy his first cruise.

Your daughter doesn't sound spoiled - just well-traveled! That is what I'm hoping for my son. We are taking him to Hawaii in three weeks - wish us luck on the 7 hour plane ride!

Good god, good luck - 7 hours (invest in Gameboy :Þ). We took our son on his (and ours) first cruise when he was 6. He absolutely loved it and can't stop talking about it. We are booking the western in Jan 06 to take him back. He will also be well traveled and very fortunate. We won't stop taking him to beautiful exotic places.

Disney Magic 01/10/04

Enchantment of the Seas 01/22/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TheWog - Thanks for your reply.

We will definitely be investing in a portable DVD player - so he can watch his Baby Einstein DVD's - he loves those things! This is actually a free trip for us - my mother retired last year and is taking all of us - so we couldn't exactly turn it down, even if it means a 7 hour flight. We're traveling with my sisters kids - ages 6 and 8. We're all hoping for the best. icon_smile.gif

We feel the same way - we want our son to see the world, and I guess Hawaii and cruising aren't bad places to start.

Good post, as we will be taking our son next year on his first cruise, and he will be 6 1/2 yrs. old. Should have plenty of good traveling memories.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

Carnival Victory - 2004

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than a day at work</MARQUEE>

We are taking our grandson on a Disney 7 night cruise in October when he will be 4 1/2. I think we will all have a great time. Not only is he old enough to enjoy the trip, he is young enough to still idolize his grandparents and enjoy being with us. He is so much fun right now - hope he still is in 4 months!

Lisa - how exciting for your little one - have you decided which cruise line you will be going on?

Adelle - what wonderful grandparents your grandson has!! I'm sure he will idolize his grandparents for a LONG time!! Have a wonderful cruise.

Yvonne (Alec's mama)

• 1 month later...

my oldest grandson went on his first cruise at seven months and has now been on seven, my youngest has been on one.we have another set for september and then another for february.my wife and I enjoy cruising, my oldest grandson always looks foward to the cruises and the infant will adapt.I will say that my oldest grandson just simply expects it as cruising is a normal part of his life.hopefully his brother will also see it the same.

Archived