Courtyard Marriott Long Beach CA

shawilson

Has anyone stayed here? If so, how long of a taxi ride to the pier? Is the location too far out? For you locals, I would like your opioions. I'm looking for a hotel that allows smoking (Coast is out on that front). I have Holiday Inn as an option, but would like other choices. I was considering the Hyatt, but it is more than I want to spend for 3 people. I figure that if the Courtyard is OK I might be able to afford a town car from the airport to the hotel. We could take a taxi to the pier?

Thanks, I know I'm starting to get crazy over details, but that is what I like to do!

We stayed there last December. It's a short ride to the pier - about 10 minutes. They offer a cruise package that includes the room and transportation to the pier. Depending who you talke to at the Courtyard, they tell you their shuttle will take you. They don't have a suttle, they have an arrangement with the local taxi company. You have to wait for them to call the taxi and for it to arrive.

We were disappointed with this Courtyard. I usually stay at Courtyards when I travel, but this one was a disappointment. They have two elevators and only one was working when we were there. They staff is not very friendly or helpful. the neighborhood was not very good. We started to wake around but immediately returned to the hotel due to the people that was just hanging around. They do have a very good restaurant that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. It offers menu and buffet service. If you don't go out its not bad for the one night. Make sure you plan accordingly as quite a few cruisers use this hotel. Plan to wait for the elevators, and the lobby usually get full of people waiting for their transportation to the piers.

We have stayed at the Coast Long Beach and will be staying there in Nov for another pre-cruise stay. It is true that all the rooms at the Hotel are non-smoking but they also have generous sized private balconies with chairs, table, and ashtrays. We had a waterside room and I really enjoyed my morning coffee and cigarette there. The restaurant has a lovely al fresco section and guess what? Ashtrays on the tables. It is definitely not an anti-smoking establishment.

The people in service were excellent. The pool was also a delight, we spent a lot of time there. There is even a phone to call for "pool service'. The hotel of course is within walking distance of the Queen Mary and the Russian Scorpion class submarine. There is a free trolley that roams around between the hotel and downtown LB. It is also a nice walk if you have the time.

It was the perfect place to stay before we started our cruise. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Mary Ellen

You are telling me that the Coast will let you smoke on their grounds???? When I emailed the hotel ,they have live people answering your questions on line, they said it was 100% non smoking! I, of course as a Californian, took that to mean no smoking anywhere! I am going to call them tomorrow! Thanks!

I just couldn't wait and called them. Your are so right! They said you could smoke outside on their balconies! Score! As that is what we wanted, a balcony to smoke on because we don't smoke around our 18 y/o who is coming on the Pride with us on 11/06/05. Yes, we are smoking on our balcony there too. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

1. I have just booked our room at the Coast in Long Beach. I am concerned that if we smoke on our balcony, other guests will complain, Have you ever experienced this?

2. Tried to book the Hyatt, which I know have smoking rooms, but they were full. Is something going on in town that weekend?

3. What would be your second choice for a hotel in Long Beach?

4. The Coast doesn't have a hot tub or in room coffee makers?

5. Is there a shuttle to the Carnival port, or would it be better to call a cab?

Thanks in advance. I'm a Virgo, hence, the control freak aspect of my personality!

Hi again,

1) No, there were no complaints. The balconies are at least 10' deep with walls on either side. Unless you hung over the railing smoke isn't going far..ergo, I would think no complaints.

2) I have no idea but thanks for the heads up. We plan to stay there Nov. 5, 6 ,& 7. I was going to wait to book but I think I will call them very soon.

3) I have no second choice, for us it is the best and only.

4) There was a coffee maker in our room.

5) Since we left from the pier at San Pedro we hired a Town Car to take us to the ship. Depending on the amount of your luggage it is walkable. There also is the trolley which goes directly there. I would check with the hotel to see if they have another way to get there.

This hotel is a wonderful stop on your way to cruising. The staff to a person was great. The grounds are relaxing. The only negative I observed is that the bathrooms are tiny and can be used by one person at a time, but how much time does one spend there anyway? Everything else was perfect, the rooms, dining, the pool area, the views.

I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Mary Ellen

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking for hotels in Long Beach. Would like one with or near free shuttle transportation. I know a trolley runs around in town, but does it take you out to the pier and to where you get on the cruise to Catalina? Would it be smart to stay downtown and ride the shuttle to things (Queen Mary, CCL terminal, etc).

Thanks.

Archived