Comments from other passengers about what you're wearing.

sparky-elpaso

With all the hoopla about dress codes I was wondering if anyone had ever had another passenger(s) make a comment about what you chose to wear - and how you handled it. Let's include both good and bad comments.

Our story:

DH and I happened to be wearing similar colors one evening - I think he had on a red shirt and I was wearing a red blouse. Another passenger made a comment about us "matching" - I don't remember the exact words but it just stopped short of a "Bobbsey Twins" sort of thing. It was definitely not a compliment.

I was so surprised that anyone would make such a comment to a stranger I couldn't think of a comeback. We just walked away.

Now I have a comeback - one that we would use at work when a couple of us would show up dressed in a similar fashion. We would just tell everyone else that we were sorry that they hadn't "gotten the memo" about what we were supposed to wear that day. Of course, at work it was all in fun with folks you know. :)

On several occasions I've seen women look at my DH, then say to their husbands, "See how good he looks? I knew you should have brought a tuxedo." (DH, by the way, is not a Men's Fitness model. But the tux gives him a good James Bond edge.)

We've both been complimented by other passengers (she says modestly), and have been thanked by senior staff for dressing up.

No negative comments that I'm aware of.

First cruise in 1987. We have never had someone comment about us to our faces, and we have never commented, tho I wanted too :rolleyes: to anyone.

That only happens here on CC, no one has the back bone to really do it in person.

Edited by wallie5446

2 years ago - a 2 week cruise on Eclipse in the Caribbean for our 20th Anniversary - no we are not spring chickens at the age of 56 & 59 (then). I had a lady approach me towards the end of the cruise and she called me the "dress lady". Telling me how much she and her husband had enjoyed watching my husband and I during the cruise as we had dressed so nice. DH in his tux and also his white dinner jacket - I took 4 long gowns for 3 formal nights :D -- it was magical, romantic beyond words. Sadly those days are gone as of this week but we have the memories. Yes - the dress lady has no intention of changing but the ambiance will be gone.

On several occasions I've seen women look at my DH, then say to their husbands, "See how good he looks? I knew you should have brought a tuxedo." (DH, by the way, is not a Men's Fitness model. But the tux gives him a good James Bond edge.)

We've both been complimented by other passengers (she says modestly), and have been thanked by senior staff for dressing up.

No negative comments that I'm aware of.

In addition to this, DH has gotten the "nod" from other well dressed men on formal night. :D

I've given and received many nice comments. I would hope that people wouldn't be rude enough to say anything negative to others.

The best thing about cruising is the wonderful people you meet, passengers and crew alike. Many of them have become very good friends.

One formal night, DH was wearing suit, tie, looked pretty good I thought, and had somehow got past my inspection without me noticing the black crocks over black socks on his feet.

No one noticed until we were in the elevator after dinner, another couple walked in, and the husband turned to his wife and said "See, I told you I could wear my crocks! "

OP, I meant to also say that I was surprised you received a possibly negative comment about the same color shirts. I do, however, think that in many cases, negative stuff is just a coverup for insecurity. Probably the two of you looked a lot better than she did. Or maybe she just wanted to make conversation but it didn't come out as intended.

OP, I meant to also say that I was surprised you received a possibly negative comment about the same color shirts. I do, however, think that in many cases, negative stuff is just a coverup for insecurity. Probably the two of you looked a lot better than she did. Or maybe she just wanted to make conversation but it didn't come out as intended.

True. One of those "open mouth, insert foot" kind of moments.

Quite amusing was our experience on a sailing that coincided with the 11th of November and also happened to be formal night.

We donned our tuxedos as normal but I'd brought along poppies to use as button holes to show our respect and in remembrance of those who fought for our freedom in the past.

Obviously as this is a custom in the UK, and not worldwide, it is strange to get compliments from people such as 'you look so smart, have you been to a wedding?'

Bob doesn't usually bring his kilt anymore but I enjoy the compliments he's received in the past. He's usually embarrassed by the attention.

From our cabin stewart with a rather shy smile:"Nice dress sir!" Guess he'd never been out and about on formal nights, too busy serving.

From a fellow passenger in the elevator: Whistle followed by, Nice Legs!"

And from a friend when looking at wedding pictures of our kids: "My goodness, I didn't know you were a cross dresser."

I loved dressing in the plainest of outfits to allow my modest peacock to shine.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

One formal night, DH was wearing suit, tie, looked pretty good I thought, and had somehow got past my inspection without me noticing the black crocks over black socks on his feet.

No one noticed until we were in the elevator after dinner, another couple walked in, and the husband turned to his wife and said "See, I told you I could wear my crocks! "

LOL! No one knows what's wrong with a persons feet, maybe the crocs are more comfortable. I have bunions and I refuse to have the podiatrist start cutting on my feet. So I wear a wide toed shoe, but a long dress to hide them somewhat. I'd rather be comfortable than in agony the whole evening. I rarely look at what other people are wearing. The ones that stand out are obvious, shorts and the wife beater shirts. DH and I are planning our first cruise on Celebrity to Alaska. I don't know what to expect.

On our last cruise (which just happened to take place the week of the NFC and AFC championship games last year), I wore New England Patriots cuff link with my tux. They were a popular topic of conversation at dinner and I heard nothing but compliments, although I'm sure there were many folks thinking "man, I hope they lose"...[emoji6]

A few years ago, when Celebrity cruisers still dressed more formally than now, a couple got into the elevator, dressed in shorts and t shirts and said "So, you two going to prom?" I said that tonight is formal night, and nearly everyone will be dressed similar to us. The wife whacked the husband in the head and said, " I told you stupid, this is a dress up line, not like Windjammer. We can't go in the main dining room. You're the biggest idiot that you wouldn't listen to me."

On our last cruise (which just happened to take place the week of the NFC and AFC championship games last year), I wore New England Patriots cuff link with my tux. They were a popular topic of conversation at dinner and I heard nothing but compliments, although I'm sure there were many folks thinking "man, I hope they lose"...[emoji6]

But they won! Yeah! I have always recieved compliments from other passengers on my long gowns, and was always thanked by officers for dressing up! I also give out compliments.

have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to wear crocks

But they won! Yeah! I have always recieved compliments from other passengers on my long gowns, and was always thanked by officers for dressing up! I also give out compliments.

Haha I will be on the Reflection Jan 9-16 and plan on wearing those cuff link again, so hopefully this football season ends the same way last year ended!

A few years ago (and a few pounds less!) my DH picked out this very simple but elegant, slightly above knee length, dress that I would wear to his company xmas party and also on one of the formal nights on the Equinox. It was, I thought, a fairly simple dress - black, with shiny silver stripes running vertical from top to bottom.

A (snobby) lady at the xmas party complimented me on this dress as we exited the ladies room together. I was very flattered. Then, when I wore this same dress on formal night, as we were walking towards the dining room, a very attractive and well dressed woman touched my arm to get my attention and said "I absolutely love your dress - you look fantastic".

For me, it started out as a bit daring (clinging) and to receive two outside compliments like that, well, it makes you feel over the top!!

That dress will hang in my closet for a very very very long time!! It brings me smiles everytime I see it! I may well frame it :D

It wasn't formal night, it was "Tropical Night". In port DH bought a bright Hawaiian shirt and saw the fabric in a sarong. He begged me to get it to wear as a scarf, which I did. I paired it with black pants and black top. Walking through the ship we were stopped multiple times by people admiring our look. We then did the photo shoot where you lay on the floor with the pure white background. Best photos we ever took, including our wedding photos.

My wife never fails to receive compliments on every single cruise from other female passengers....often on formal night (always long gowns) but definitely on other nights as well, from her dress to her jewelry to her shoes. It's nice.

BTW, she also compliments other ladies as well.

Edited by spearmint

One time hubby and I spent most of the days on board in matching Hawwiian shirts (on an Alaskan cruise) We got many compliments and a few odd looks. We will probably "match" some days in a week and a half on our panama canal cruise:]