International Phones

Meena

We have had service with Telestial Phones for a few years now and recently purchased a new phone in April. We have had nothing but problems with this new phone and I am now in the process of mailing it back to them so they can figure out what is not working. I know you can purchase an international package for a smart phone, etc., but we have Consumer Cellular as our carrier and they do not offer international service, which is why we have this special phone when we go to Europe. I would love to know what else is available to purchase in the way of phones, sim cards, etc. that would be a reliable means of communication and peace of mind for myself that I can make a call in case of an emergency (medical or flight problems, etc.). Thank you!!!

If you have an unlocked phone you can purchase a prepaid SIM card in Italy. Some of them are pretty good deals - I've seen €15 from TIM (Telecom Italia) for a sim which includes €10 worth of calls, and you can top it up if necessary. Someone else mentioned a visitors deal that was good, and may have included data as well, although I don't remember all the details. The phone shops sell unlocked phones as well, but I haven't seen especially low prices on those.

So if you can bring an unlocked GSM or 3G phone with you, it should be easy. You will probably need your passport to purchase the SIM, so bring it ashore with you that day.

Edited by lisiamc

If you have an unlocked phone you can purchase a prepaid SIM card in Italy. Some of them are pretty good deals - I've seen €15 from TIM (Telecom Italia) for a sim which includes €10 worth of calls, and you can top it up if necessary. Someone else mentioned a visitors deal that was good, and may have included data as well, although I don't remember all the details. The phone shops sell unlocked phones as well, but I haven't seen especially low prices on those.

So if you can bring an unlocked GSM or 3G phone with you, it should be easy. You will probably need your passport to purchase the SIM, so bring it ashore with you that day.

Yep, TIM has a couple of plans for tourists. One for a quick trip that includes calling to the US is, I think, the Viaggio en Passe. 500 minutes of call, 500mb of SMS. 500mb of data, good for 10 days, for something like 15EU. The Welcome plan is more, but has more data (, and is good for 30 days. It gets offered for anywhere from 20-30EU, depending on if it's on sale. You can also call the US with this plan. The Welcome Internet is what I usually get. I don't have a smart phone, just my iPad Mini. The Welcome Internet gives me more than enough 'net time so that I can use it all day long for navigation (google maps for directions), reading my emails, sending photos to friends, buying my train tickets online, checking in for flights, etc…

Now, all of this depends on whether or not you Consumer Cellular phone has a removable SIM card and IF you can have the phone unlocked by Consumer Cellular. If you can't, your best bet is to buy a pre-paid phone card to keep on hand if you have an emergency.

Yep, TIM has a couple of plans for tourists. One for a quick trip that includes calling to the US is, I think, the Viaggio en Passe. 500 minutes of call, 500mb of SMS. 500mb of data, good for 10 days, for something like 15EU. The Welcome plan is more, but has more data (, and is good for 30 days. It gets offered for anywhere from 20-30EU, depending on if it's on sale. You can also call the US with this plan. The Welcome Internet is what I usually get. I don't have a smart phone, just my iPad Mini. The Welcome Internet gives me more than enough 'net time so that I can use it all day long for navigation (google maps for directions), reading my emails, sending photos to friends, buying my train tickets online, checking in for flights, etc…

Now, all of this depends on whether or not you Consumer Cellular phone has a removable SIM card and IF you can have the phone unlocked by Consumer Cellular. If you can't, your best bet is to buy a pre-paid phone card to keep on hand if you have an emergency.

Slidergirl, thanks! I thought maybe it was you that had seen the deals for visitors.

OP could also consider buying a cheap unlocked GSM phone on eBay.

T-Mobile Simple Choice plans include unlimited international data and texting in 120+ countries. Per minute voice rates vary, but are pretty reasonable.

One convenience is you don't need to hassle w/swapping sim cards or phones when you enter a different country.

I recently visited seven countries in Europe. Each time, I rec'd a text msg welcoming me to that country and confirming the unlimited data & texting at no add'l cost.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

My "dumb" phone is a T-Mo Razr. I just leave it on the plan I have and, if I need to use it to call anywhere, I'm OK with what it charges. It is my ICE phone, so no one calls me on it. Only a few people have that number and they know to only use it if they absolutely need to contact me in an emergency situation. The phone doesn't do data, so no need for the internet for it. That's why I get the SIM for my iPad.

But, the T-Mo is a good plan if you aren't planning on being joined at the mouth with your phone all the time...

T-Mobile Simple Choice plans include unlimited international data and texting in 120+ countries. Per minute voice rates vary, but are pretty reasonable.

One convenience is you don't need to hassle w/swapping sim cards or phones when you enter a different country.

I recently visited seven countries in Europe. Each time, I rec'd a text msg welcoming me to that country and confirming the unlimited data & texting at no add'l cost.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In almost all of Europe, the t mobile simple choice plan is 20¢/minute to call almost anywhere in the world and to receive. Just as an example, the eu is in the midst of lowering roaming rates to nothing eventually for calls within the eu but at the same time calls outside the eu have become much more expensive once you leave the country of origin of the sim. Just as an example, I have an O2 UK sim card which allows me to make calls to North America while within the UK at 2p/minute which is hard to beat. But once I leave the UK, calls home become much more expensive, almost prohibitively high. Calls received while within the eu are relatively inexpensive and once up a time, it wasn't a bad way to go. However, I now use the T Mobile plan. And get this. While within the UK, if I use the O2 phone to call another UK number, it's 40p (about 60¢) per minute. Using the T Mobile plan is 20¢/minute for the same call. (There's also wifi calling available but we'll leave that aside). As noted, unlimited (slow speed unfortunately) data, and your local calling area includes Canada and Mexico.

I do understand that t mobile is not as good a carrier in the USA as several others and some may not be in a location conducive to t mobile service but if you are, it is a good simple choice with a very reasonable monthly rate.

And surprisingly enough, although not necessarily on this particular forum, it even includes Russia and well over 120 countries. You can get the entire list on the T Mobile US web site and you don't have to change your phone number and calls ring right through.

Edited by MATHA531

• 2 weeks later...
We have had service with Telestial Phones for a few years now and recently purchased a new phone in April. We have had nothing but problems with this new phone and I am now in the process of mailing it back to them so they can figure out what is not working. I know you can purchase an international package for a smart phone, etc., but we have Consumer Cellular as our carrier and they do not offer international service, which is why we have this special phone when we go to Europe. I would love to know what else is available to purchase in the way of phones, sim cards, etc. that would be a reliable means of communication and peace of mind for myself that I can make a call in case of an emergency (medical or flight problems, etc.). Thank you!!!

Oh know Meena, I was afraid of that. We have Consumer Cellular too and was planning to call them but our trip isn't until May. Does anyone know if you can use the smartphone to take photos in Europe and send via email at your hotel or on ship? That was what we would be using it for mainly plus we have the Rick Steves Europe app on our phones for tours on our own which won't use data or WiFi. Should we then purchase cheap phone in Italy when we arrive or can we purchase SIM card and use in our phone?

Thanks much.

Meena- if you want a simple to use, basic phone for travel try http://www.mobal.com

We learned about it on CC a couple of years ago, and it is great for our needs. We ordered a basic international phone, that comes with a world SIM, and your credit card is billed only when you make a call, at the rates on the chart at their website. Transaction history is available online. Universal plugs for charging were also included when I bought ours.

When we get back from our cruise, I simply pop out the battery and put it away until the next cruise! :)

Meena- if you want a simple to use, basic phone for travel try http://www.mobal.com

We learned about it on CC a couple of years ago, and it is great for our needs. We ordered a basic international phone, that comes with a world SIM, and your credit card is billed only when you make a call, at the rates on the chart at their website. Transaction history is available online. Universal plugs for charging were also included when I bought ours.

When we get back from our cruise, I simply pop out the battery and put it away until the next cruise! :)

We will be in Spain in April but in Italy in October. Would there have to be a change since I noticed that the site asks which country.

One of the better cards for multiple countries is Orange Espana SIM Mundo http://www.simmundo.es/ It allows 100 mb per day of roaming anywhere in EU for 1 euro. Can be bought in Spain or online http://simcard.spainsur.com/orange/11-orange-mundo-go-europe-3g-4g-internet-for-36-countries-in-europe-includes-10-credit.html

I suggest to get unlocked inexpensive Android phone. With data enabled SIM user can call free to North American #s using Google Hangouts or TextNow. Skype is 2c. Just remember to prefix all calls with +1+area+#. And be less dependent on hotel or public WiFi which is usually not that great.

We will be in Spain in April but in Italy in October. Would there have to be a change since I noticed that the site asks which country.

No change! Same phone, same SIM, same phone number. Click on the deails for the basic phone. The SIM it comes with, works in 190 countries, which covers all the European and Caribbean ports we would ever go to! It is simple to use-that's why I like it, since we only have it for limited use while travelling.

No change! Same phone, same SIM, same phone number. Click on the deails for the basic phone. The SIM it comes with, works in 190 countries, which covers all the European and Caribbean ports we would ever go to! It is simple to use-that's why I like it, since we only have it for limited use while travelling.

Thank you!! That looks as if it would be the easiest for us.

We do not have Smart phones so aren't planning to ask our Verizon carrier about international plan.

We have also had a MOBAL phone/account for many years and find it meets our needs of having an emergency or occasional use phone that works in over 100 countries. While the per minute price is a bit steep, there are absolutely no monthly, annual or roaming fees. MOBAL offers several options so one might want to look at their web site.

Hank

We have also had a MOBAL phone/account for many years and find it meets our needs of having an emergency or occasional use phone that works in over 100 countries. While the per minute price is a bit steep, there are absolutely no monthly, annual or roaming fees. MOBAL offers several options so one might want to look at their web site.

Hank

Thanks for adding this info (as well as answering my port transportation question in the Venice thread). We don't anticipate using the phone very much but we'll be in Barcelona three days and in Venice two days and might need to use a phone to call for some reason so would like to have something easy to use, and reasonably priced for longtime availability.

I spoke with Verizon the other day and believe it or not they have a plan that is $2 for 24 hours of phoning and texting. Not for data remember that

So I reconfirmed over and over that the 24 hour period starts when you make or receive the first call and ends 24 hours later

Then if you make or receive another call say at hour 28 the 24 hour period starts again and another $2. Not per call ....per 24 hours

I specifically said....so if I make a call back home and make calls over and over for 10 straight days....I will be charged $20 total....answer was yes

We didn't discuss taxes but he did say the minutes used just go against your regular plan minutes and since most of us have unlimited so I think that's a great plan

$2 is per phone line of course

And yes I know other providers may be cheaper but I have Verizon and I'm sticking with them. I guess the Mobal stays home in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I spoke with Verizon the other day and believe it or not they have a plan that is $2 for 24 hours of phoning and texting. Not for data remember that

So I reconfirmed over and over that the 24 hour period starts when you make or receive the first call and ends 24 hours later

Then if you make or receive another call say at hour 28 the 24 hour period starts again and another $2. Not per call ....per 24 hours

I specifically said....so if I make a call back home and make calls over and over for 10 straight days....I will be charged $20 total....answer was yes

We didn't discuss taxes but he did say the minutes used just go against your regular plan minutes and since most of us have unlimited so I think that's a great plan

$2 is per phone line of course

And yes I know other providers may be cheaper but I have Verizon and I'm sticking with them. I guess the Mobal stays home in the future.

The question becomes will your phone work in the various countries you are visiting? This is something that has to be borne in mind. Verizon is not a gsm provider which at one time was the standard especially in Europe. There are other technologies now being used however and verizon phones might work; it has to be checked out.

The question becomes will your phone work in the various countries you are visiting? This is something that has to be borne in mind. Verizon is not a gsm provider which at one time was the standard especially in Europe. There are other technologies now being used however and verizon phones might work; it has to be checked out.

I'm always a few steps ahead of that sort of thing

So that's exactly what I did.....I checked it out.

The countries I'm going to it will work in. I asked he answered.

I also knew my post would be challenged too. Lol 👏

Edited by Crusin6

I'm always a few steps ahead of that sort of thing

So that's exactly what I did.....I checked it out.

The countries I'm going to it will work in. I asked he answered.

I also knew my post would be challenged too. Lol 👏

I wasn't challenging you...many people really don't understnd what gives with phones when leaving their home countries and for a long while, verizon phones were not compatible with especially European phones (2g gsm was the norm at one time). Of course, as you said, lack of data might be a problem for some too although wifi today is becoming more and more common everywhere as you may already know.

I wasn't challenging you...many people really don't understnd what gives with phones when leaving their home countries and for a long while, verizon phones were not compatible with especially European phones (2g gsm was the norm at one time). Of course, as you said, lack of data might be a problem for some too although wifi today is becoming more and more common everywhere as you may already know.

Verizon has upgraded their international service as long as you have the proper type phone....as in iPhone etc

• 2 months later...

Check out Eurobuzz.....we bought 3 phones for abt $20 apiece, shipping was free, chargers included. Each phone came with 2 phone numbers -- a european number & a us stateside number. So my son back in the states could dial a domestic number & call us while in Spain. 3 phones, calling & texting for 11 days & the amt charged to our CC was prob $45.....we just put the phones away till the next trip!! Very pleased with the service!

Check out Eurobuzz.....we bought 3 phones for abt $20 apiece, shipping was free, chargers included. Each phone came with 2 phone numbers -- a european number & a us stateside number. So my son back in the states could dial a domestic number & call us while in Spain. 3 phones, calling & texting for 11 days & the amt charged to our CC was prob $45.....we just put the phones away till the next trip!! Very pleased with the service!

Geez....gotta correct myself....EuroBuzz has changed, seems you cannt simply reactivate the acct, they want to sell us a whole new set of phones :(:(.....we are exploring alternatives. Was gonna loan them to a friend traveling to Portugal, then use again on our Med cruise Apr 2017 so I am bummed...I have Sprint, so no bueno there......not sure if friend's carrier will be helpful....uugghh.........

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have experience with Mobal's new smart phone plan? It's $50 for the SIM card with unlimited data for 30 days and calls are 30 cents per minute. It also comes with a US phone number so family could reach us easily.

I've used a Mobal phone for calls on a number of trips and it's been very handy but I'm thinking I'd like something with navigation options. I'd also like to be able to check email without using ship wifi.