Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A different kind of birth certificate/boarding drama....

We leave on the Elation on Nov 6 (myself, hubby, 2 kids, mom & step father). My mother is 60 years old and has never been out of the country before and until now apparently never had a need for her birth certificate. So she goes in person to purchase a copy of her birth certificate and the clerk informs her that they cannot find one in the system for her. After more investigation they do finally find 1 but my mom said this isn't me (her maiden name is spelled ENTIRELY wrong). And they said yeah it is...its what we have on you. So, now she has to go through a alot of paperwork stuff through the state capital with notaries & affidavites to get the spelling of her name corrected. It takes between 2-4 weeks. Which would be cutting it very close to our departure date. Anyway, to go on the cruise does she really have to have a corrected one? I mean all she needs is her birth certificate & drivers license....she is married so the names aren't going to match anyway right? Of course she is going to get it corrected and all but WHAT IF it doesn't happen before our departure date? Yes, they said 2-4 weeks but we are talking about the government here......

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Did you book your cruise just recently? If you booked it awhile back, it seems you may have waited too long to get all your papers in order. Do they have an option to expedite? It would probably cost more, but would definitely be worth the piece of mind.

Make sure it's a true Birth Certificate with raised seal. There have been some problems with people not being allowed to board because they brought Certificates of Live Birth, which apparently aren't the same thing. Call Carnival and explain what you have and see what they say.

In the future, if your Mom plans to take more cruises definitely invest in a passport. It's soooooooo much simpler!! Good Luck!

Carnival Liberty - July 2007
Carnival Glory - April/May 2008
RCI Monarch of the Seas - August 2009
Carnival Legend - October 2010
Carnival Miracle - October 2011
Carnival Ecstasy - April 2012
Carnival Legend - October 2012

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

But of course she can't get a Passport without her birth certificate...

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBecca1713 View Post
Did you book your cruise just recently? If you booked it awhile back, it seems you may have waited too long to get all your papers in order. Do they have an option to expedite? It would probably cost more, but would definitely be worth the piece of mind.

Make sure it's a true Birth Certificate with raised seal. There have been some problems with people not being allowed to board because they brought Certificates of Live Birth, which apparently aren't the same thing. Call Carnival and explain what you have and see what they say.

In the future, if your Mom plans to take more cruises definitely invest in a passport. It's soooooooo much simpler!! Good Luck!
Becca, this isn't about making sure it's the right certificate, it's about whether or not her mother needs to have the certificate amended as the official vital record is misspelled.

Christine, it's the last name, correct? Not the first name? My opinion (which is worth nothing) would be that she can take her chances. I haven't read of anyone needing a marriage certificate lately. I would suggest contacting your local STATE legislative representative (as this is a state issue) and seeing if they can't help you expediate getting it fixed in time for your cruise. Not sure how willing they'll be to help though.

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I know a passport would have made things much simplier but seeing that she is 60 years old and never had the need for her birth certificate until now needing a passport is a mute point. Of course, if she enjoys cruising and wants to continue in the future she will invest in a passport (after getting the BC mess straightened out of course). We have had this trip scheduled for a while and until a few weeks ago she thought she had a copy of her birth certificate when it was actually the other thing issued from the hospital.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurCat View Post
Becca, this isn't about making sure it's the right certificate, it's about whether or not her mother needs to have the certificate amended as the official vital record is misspelled.

Christine, it's the last name, correct? Not the first name? My opinion (which is worth nothing) would be that she can take her chances. I haven't read of anyone needing a marriage certificate lately. I would suggest contacting your local STATE legislative representative (as this is a state issue) and seeing if they can't help you expediate getting it fixed in time for your cruise. Not sure how willing they'll be to help though.
I understood her question, just wanted to make sure she had gone to Vital Statistics Dept and was trying to get the right type of Certificate. Carnival even sent out a mass email recently pointing out true Birth Certificates vs. Certificates of Live Birth (very confusing!).

Carnival Liberty - July 2007
Carnival Glory - April/May 2008
RCI Monarch of the Seas - August 2009
Carnival Legend - October 2010
Carnival Miracle - October 2011
Carnival Ecstasy - April 2012
Carnival Legend - October 2012

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is why I don't get that they still let people travel with a birth certificate and a driver's license. Without the marriage certificate substantiating the name change, it seems a little silly....and then you take someone like me, who's had a couple of name changes. The paper trail gets a little confusing. I don't see how they could tell that it's wrong so long as the dates match.
Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2009 (December); Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2010 (May);
Alaska/Glacier Bay, Carnival Spirit 2010 (September); Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2010 (November);Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2011 (May);
Bermuda, Carnival Pride 2011 (October);
Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2012 (January);
Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2012 (May);
Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Miracle 2012 (Sept);
Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2012 (December);
Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2013 (March); Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2013 (July);Bahamas, Carnival Pride 2013 (Oct); Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Pride 2014 (March), Carnival Freedom (June), Carnival Fantasy B2B (October), Carnival Sunshine (March 2015), Carnival Pride (June 2015)

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Why would they know (or care) what her "birth" name is? I would say as long as she has her current drivers license, and her official birth record (raised seal) it will be fine....

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Is her maiden name (correct spelling) on her drivers license? If so, then you may run into a problem. If it is not, she should be fine as long as the first name is correct.
Disney Wonder ~ 3/2000 * Disney Magic ~ 9/2000 * RCCL Vision ~ 2/19/2001 * Carnival Victory ~ 12/16/2001 * Celebrity Millennium ~ 3/2003 * RCCL Adventures of the Seas ~ 9/14/2003 * RCCL Mariner of the Seas ~ 7/18/2004 * RCCL Serenade of the Seas ~ 9/26/2004 * HAL Oosterdam ~ 2/26/2005 * Princess Coral ~ 10/15/2005 * Carnival Glory ~ 3/11/2006 * RCCL Grandeur of the Seas ~ 2/24/2007 * RCCL Grandeur of the Seas ~ 9/30/2007 * Celebrity Century ~ 2/4/2008 * HAL Noordam ~ 6/8/2008 * RCCL Liberty of the Seas ~ 8/30/08 * RCCL Voyager of the Seas ~ 2/22/09 * RCCL Adventure of the Seas ~ 10/4/09 * HAL Eurodam ~ 2/27/2010 * Carnival Glory ~ 11/1/2010 * Celebrity Equinox ~ 5/16/2011

Last edited by CruisinManiac; September 30th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can't help but wonder why she never had the need for her birth certificate before age 60. Im 57 and had to have birth certificate to start school, get a driver's license, get a marriage license, etc. Did she not ever have to produce a birth certificate for any of those or other reasons?????

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISETYPIST View Post
I can't help but wonder why she never had the need for her birth certificate before age 60. Im 57 and had to have birth certificate to start school, get a driver's license, get a marriage license, etc. Did she not ever have to produce a birth certificate for any of those or other reasons?????
I'm guessing not...like I said she did have that certificate of live birth from the hospital....maybe she was allowed to use that for everything she needed? She has been married twice, has a drivers license, went to school and is retired from the post office. How she has gotten by for the past 60 years without having a copy is beyond me but she has....kinda strange huh?

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, that is strange. Seeing as how the thing that you get from the hospital is nothing more than a souvenier copy for the proud parents. Here in SC the hospital copy is good for absolutely nothing.

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBecca1713 View Post
... Carnival even sent out a mass email recently pointing out true Birth Certificates vs. Certificates of Live Birth (very confusing!).
You may have mis-understood the Carnival email; the difference they were pointing out was issued by the county/state vs. issued by the hospital, not the title of the certificate. With 50 states, a few territories and Washington D.C. there are quite a few variations in title.
Been There Done That: Caribbean Princess Dec. 2014, Ruby Princess Dec. 2014, Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine in MO View Post
I'm guessing not...like I said she did have that certificate of live birth from the hospital....maybe she was allowed to use that for everything she needed? She has been married twice, has a drivers license, went to school and is retired from the post office. How she has gotten by for the past 60 years without having a copy is beyond me but she has....kinda strange huh?
Not really, lots of places, especially schools, still accept the hospital version or baptismal records. My husband entered the military with one AND obtained his first passport with it. Wasn't until his second time in Grad school that he had to get a true certified copy, that was about 10 years ago.
Been There Done That: Caribbean Princess Dec. 2014, Ruby Princess Dec. 2014, Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Christine (OP).
Carnival generally does not ask for bridge documents to match the birth certificate. The BC is proof of your Mom's citizenship, her DL is proof of her current identity. The usual thing is for the cruise line to compare first names and birth dates and you are good to go. If you are really worried, have her take her marriage license to show the name change to her current name. But chances are about 99% that they will not even ask, so don't point out the misspelled maiden name and you should all be fine.

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylandtk View Post
Not really, lots of places, especially schools, still accept the hospital version or baptismal records. My husband entered the military with one AND obtained his first passport with it. Wasn't until his second time in Grad school that he had to get a true certified copy, that was about 10 years ago.
Up until a couple of years ago, many state bar associations still accepted names written in family Bibles and baptismal certificates as well.

Old September 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinManiac View Post
Is her maiden name (correct spelling) on her drivers license? If so, then you may run into a problem. If it is not, she should be fine as long as the first name is correct.
?? Her Maiden name would not be on her license

Answer..NO, it will not matter if last name on BC is missed spelled, she will be using her DL with Married last name, they will be looking to make sure the first name & date of birth are correct only.
I say fix the BC when you get back.

took my DIL 1 year to make a correction to her BC thru the state.

have a great family cruise

Inspiration X2
Imagination
Paradise
Conquest
Destiny
Valor X2
Elation X3
Liberty
Splendor
Spirit
Victory
Legend
Triumph
Glory
Magic

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If her maiden name is wrong, who cares as her DL will have another name on it anyway (assuming she has her married name on her DL).......... Leave well enough alone.

Last edited by blindrid; September 30th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean dreams View Post
?? Her Maiden name would not be on her license

Answer..NO, it will not matter if last name on BC is missed spelled, she will be using her DL with Married last name, they will be looking to make sure the first name & date of birth are correct only.
I say fix the BC when you get back.

took my DIL 1 year to make a correction to her BC thru the state.

have a great family cruise
Sometimes the maiden name is listed on the DL as a middle name if you choose to list it that way. Mine has my maiden name instead of my middle name on it.
Carnival Valor
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Victory x2
Carnival Miracle

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Its time

OK Since grandma is cruising now,it is best that she get a passport,That way she wont have to have 10 pieces of I D,and a meltdown,to get on the ship and have fun