Cruise from Miami-help!!

rob6465

Wife and I have always cruised from Galveston. We just celebrated my 50th birthday on Magic. Now for 1st time we are considering cruising outside of Galveston. We are looking at Splendor from Miami because of the ports. Any suggestions on Airport? Hotel? When to get there? Cruise is December 2015(sun to sun)

Wife and I have always cruised from Galveston. We just celebrated my 50th birthday on Magic. Now for 1st time we are considering cruising outside of Galveston. We are looking at Splendor from Miami because of the ports. Any suggestions on Airport? Hotel? When to get there? Cruise is December 2015(sun to sun)

Rob6465,

Flying in to FLL Fort Lauderdale is normally cheaper than flying in to MIA Miami and once you factor in the airport size and time that it takes to get out of the airport, FLL is almost as quick to South Beach as MIA.

We prefer to stay on South Beach and our current favorite is The Savoy. The Savoy is located in the 'SOFI' area of South Beach which means 'South of Fifth.' The location is convenient to the nightlife area of South Beach and close enough to walk to Government Cut to watch the ships come in each morning and sail away each evening. They also have beach chairs included with your room as well as a nice pool area that is secluded from the sometimes hectic South Beach scene. The Savoy is NOT the cheapest, but it's also by far not the most expensive option.

My suggestion would be to arrive in Miami a day or two early to explore and the best time to arrive at the port is 10:30AM; Miami almost always boards before 11:00AM.

Rob6465,

Flying in to FLL Fort Lauderdale is normally cheaper than flying in to MIA Miami and once you factor in the airport size and time that it takes to get out of the airport, FLL is almost as quick to South Beach as MIA.

We prefer to stay on South Beach and our current favorite is The Savoy. The Savoy is located in the 'SOFI' area of South Beach which means 'South of Fifth.' The location is convenient to the nightlife area of South Beach and close enough to walk to Government Cut to watch the ships come in each morning and sail away each evening. They also have beach chairs included with your room as well as a nice pool area that is secluded from the sometimes hectic South Beach scene. The Savoy is NOT the cheapest, but it's also by far not the most expensive option.

My suggestion would be to arrive in Miami a day or two early to explore and the best time to arrive at the port is 10:30AM; Miami almost always boards before 11:00AM.

Thanks paul...love your pics and reviews

Rob6465,

Your opinion of San Juan?

Miami is closer to the port, but traffic can be tough. FLL is easier to get in and out of but traffic can be tough and further away from Miami Port

Hotel: any South Beach hotel. We like the Hilton Bentley. Outside of the main drag, but close enough to still get to the heart via walking.

We recently did this, we'd only ever cruised out of Galveston and NOLA. Ventured to Miami for the Slot Tournament Finals. We were nervous about a new port, esp one with soo many ships leaving the same day, but we found it easier than Galveston.

We arrived the day before and stayed in FLL. Left about 9am and drove to Miami, took about 45 minutes, we allowed 2 hours just to be safe. WE did some last minute exploring and shopping, Walgreens, etc. and got to the ship about 2pm. We walked right through security and the check in terminal, absolutely no wait. It was fabulous. We returned the rental car at the Budget Cruise Port and took the shuttle over. Waited about 20 for the shuttle, but the ride only took a few minutes.

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites in Plantation Florida. It was about 45 minutes away, but had plenty of space and was easy to access the highway and airport, some members of our party were arriving late the night before the cruise.

The number of ships and watching them all leave is quite fun. Have no hesitation about Miami! We explored the South Beach area post cruise, and honestly, I would not want to stay there before a cruise, the traffic alone was comparable to downtown houston at 530pm. Took almost 45 minutes to go a few blocks. Stay in FLL and drive down beforehand, highway all the way to the port.

Good luck and have fun!

What kind of hotel experience are you looking for?

A hotel that is safe,clean and affordable. We're not sure about the driving part so we might just want a hotel with shuttle,and that might mean staying near port. Everyone tells us to do priceline for flights.

Easiest is to fly into Miami. Then you have the option of staying downtown near the port or cabbing to a south beach hotel. You don't give the date in Dec. If early when the rates are considerably less than around the holiday week, and you are staying for more than a night, then yes, I'd look to south beach area if you haven't been.

If you find FLL flights are much cheaper, then you can take a shuttle service to a hotel in Miami/Miami Beach from the airport. Cab would run $80 or so.

MUCH depends on your budget, how long you will be in fl precruise and what you are looking to do in that time. More specifics like that will help us advise and recommend. ;)

Booking flights on PL is only good for people who have lots of patience and time. There you can get crazy long connections and fly at weird times. I've heard some horror flight stories. Personally since you are planning so far in advance, I'd just book online and pick the times/flights that are most convenient for you. You will get the best pricing by booking early.

Easiest is to fly into Miami. Then you have the option of staying downtown near the port or cabbing to a south beach hotel. You don't give the date in Dec. If early when the rates are considerably less than around the holiday week, and you are staying for more than a night, then yes, I'd look to south beach area if you haven't been.

If you find FLL flights are much cheaper, then you can take a shuttle service to a hotel in Miami/Miami Beach from the airport. Cab would run $80 or so.

MUCH depends on your budget, how long you will be in fl pre-cruise and what you are looking to do in that time. More specifics like that will help us advise and recommend. ;)

Booking flights on PL is only good for people who have lots of patience and time. There you can get crazy long connections and fly at weird times. I've heard some horror flight stories. Personally since you are planning so far in advance, I'd just book online and pick the times/flights that are most convenient for you. You will get the best pricing by booking early.

Cruise is for December 6-13(sunday-sunday) and we want to get there 12/5 and might want to stay day after cruise. If we get there on saturday,don't know what we'll do. Suggestions??

Staying for one night, I'd personally just stay downtown-especially if not having a whole lot of day-night to spend. You will be near Bayside Mall where you can catch either a big bus hop on hop off tour that will include the south beach/miami beach area or there are water tours too. There is a Marriott Courtyard downtown which I'd guess if like this year, will offer rates under 150 on that date. Plus a handful of others in different price ranges. ie Intercontinental, Hyatt, Doubletree, Holiday Inn etc.(Tough to tell exactly what rates will be, as you are soooo far in advance.) Staying downtown will give you a short cab ride to the port in the morning. You can see the ships from downtown.

If you decide to stay in South Beach, rates will be easily a hundred-plus more. And if you arrive later in the day, maybe not worth the extra expense.

So... you research what is happening and available downtown vs Miami Beach and pick which you 'd prefer. Too you can always cab to south beach from downtown for a few hours for about $20 or so if the mood strikes you.

Id spend the post cruise day in sobe when you have a good full day without the fatigue of flying in like on the precruise day. Then you have time to see lots more.

Edited by eandj

Your opinion of San Juan?

Rob6465,

I love San Juan; the forts are a must see and just walking the cobblestone streets and browsing the shops is enjoyable with scenic views of the ship from the various vantage points along the way.

I stayed at B2 and that is pretty nice as well.

We are thinking of booking the B2 rather than the Holiday Inn across from Bay Market. Did you think the B2 was good value? I don't see much on here about that hotel and I wonder why more people don't stay there. It doesn't seem to be much more expensive than the Holiday Inn which I thought was looking pretty tired. I appreciate any comments you care to make.

We are thinking of booking the B2 rather than the Holiday Inn across from Bay Market. Did you think the B2 was good value? I don't see much on here about that hotel and I wonder why more people don't stay there. It doesn't seem to be much more expensive than the Holiday Inn which I thought was looking pretty tired. I appreciate any comments you care to make.

B2 was nice has a nice pub in it. Close to Bayside. Nice comfy beds. I would definitely stay there again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app