Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy OH NO!, birth certificate has wrong birthday.

My sister-in law is taking her first cruise, April 1 aboard the Glory. She got her birth certificate today and the birthday is off by one day. She has may 8 on her drivers license and it says may 7 on the BC. She thinks the mistake is because she was born at 12:45 am...........it was on a military base and perhaps on military time so maybe that was the mistake...............anyway what should she do...........we don't have a lot of time...........she mailed away for her BC over a month ago.......... Would this even be a problem? She also has a marriage license. HELP
novella
Carnival Triumph 2003

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

She goes to the local vital records in your town early and picks it up herself. It takes a scant minute as long as you arrive early

Carnival Liberty: 6/25/11
European Vacation: 9/24/10
Carnival Victory: 6/28/09
Carnival Conquest: 6/1/08
Honeymoon in Hawaii: 6/3/07
Carnival Valor: 6/11/06
Carnival Victory: 6/19/05
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas: 8/15/04
Carnival Conquest: 6/15/03
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas: 6/16/02

Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

She doesn't live in the state where she was born..........could she still go to her local office?
Carnival Triumph 2003

Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by novellaherman
She doesn't live in the state where she was born..........could she still go to her local office?
No, you will have to contact the state you were born in
Have thought about going and getting a Passport, That might be an option

Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not good

Quote:
She has to obtain the new certificate from the state that originally issued it. FYI .. this might not be an easy thing to do. She may want to call the vital records department of the state she received it from and find out if there are any additional documents she needs to provide. Not sure how long you have but you should know that these things often take time.

July / 15 - Carnival Sunshine - Booked
July / 14 - Carnival Dream
July / 13 - Carnival Breeze
July / 09 - Carnival Liberty
Aug / 08 - Carnival Legend
July / 07 - Carnival Valor
Aug / 06 - Carnival Triumph

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Novella, have her call Carnival and see what they say. I don't think it is going to be that big of a problem with them.
Her next option would be to call vital records and find out how involved getting it corrected would be.
Don't let her try for a passport til she has done these as she will need to send the bc copy with the passport application. If she doesn't get it back in time, even with expediting it, then she'll have no id.
Hope it works out.

Carnival Victory E 2013 * Carnival Victory W 2013 * Carnival Victory 2012 * Carnival Magic 2011 * Inspiration 2007 * Elation 2006 * Sovereign of the Seas 2005 * Disney Magic 2004 * Destiny 2004 * Sensation 2003 * Elation 1998 * Imagination 1997

Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Seems to me that the obvious quickest and cheapest thing to do is to go to the drivers licence office and have that date changed even if it's wrong. Just tell them they made a mistake and show em the license.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Take the BC to the drivers office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyspop
Seems to me that the obvious quickest and cheapest thing to do is to go to the drivers licence office and have that date changed even if it's wrong. Just tell them they made a mistake and show em the license.
Pay the small fee and get the DL corrected - tell Carnival the correct date.

Hollyspop is right on!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

I also have the same sort of problem my BC has my name spelled wrong. It is spelled YEAnadas instead of LEOnadas.also carnival has lee on the reservations but the BC has my full name. I never really tought of it before until I saw this thread. The last cruise I was on (98) I only needed my DL or ID card. I guess I got some calls to make.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdood
Pay the small fee and get the DL corrected - tell Carnival the correct date.

Hollyspop is right on!
Maybe I read it wrong, as it was quite late last night when I saw this, but I think the problem is the BC date, not the driver's license.

Carnival Victory E 2013 * Carnival Victory W 2013 * Carnival Victory 2012 * Carnival Magic 2011 * Inspiration 2007 * Elation 2006 * Sovereign of the Seas 2005 * Disney Magic 2004 * Destiny 2004 * Sensation 2003 * Elation 1998 * Imagination 1997

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms_cruisers04
Maybe I read it wrong, as it was quite late last night when I saw this, but I think the problem is the BC date, not the driver's license.
It's off by 1 day.
Which is faster, go thru the whole process and get a new BC? Or drive to the the local DL office with BC in hand and say DL is wrong and get new DL on the spot?

Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by klfrodo
It's off by 1 day.
Which is faster, go thru the whole process and get a new BC? Or drive to the the local DL office with BC in hand and say DL is wrong and get new DL on the spot?
That would depend on what "the whole process" envolves. If it's just an information print onto a vital records BC form, like my DD's is, then getting it corrected would be minor. Especially compared to getting the BC and the DrLic corrected later.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default What's the problem?

If she is cruising the caribbean, all she needs is the drivers license until December 31.

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night

Carnival Triumph 3/22/05 - 3/29/05- Eastern Caribbean,
Carnival Triumph 11/26/05 - 12/03/05- Western Caribbean,
Carnival Triumph 12/03/05 - 12/10/05-Eastern Caribbean,
HAL Ryndam 1/22/06 - 2/5/06-Southern Caribbean,
NCL Dream 9/20/06 - 10/07/06-London to Houston,
Celebrity Zenith 3/12/07 -3/23/07-Southern Caribbean,
NCL Dawn 10/28/07 - 11/11/07-Repositioning Caribbean,
NCL Dawn 11/02/08 - 11/15/08-Repositioning Caribbean
NCL Dawn 11/01/09 - 11/15/09-Repositioning Caribbean

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

I called carnival last night and they didn't think it would be a problem with them but it is not up to them but up to immigration. They suggested calling immigration and explaining........if they say no problem then get the persons name and badge # so if we run into a problem at embarkation then we provide that info. I think the easiest thing might be to take the BC with the wrong date and take it down and get a state issued ID with the incorrect info. Then just call Carnival and change their info. Use the drivers license as a back up only if needed.........I know this would we a little white lie, but since we leave in 1 month and I think getting the BC set right would take a bit of work.
thanks everyone, I appreciate your help
Carnival Triumph 2003

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee
If she is cruising the caribbean, all she needs is the drivers license until December 31.
MrLee to get on the ship you need your DL and a certified copy of your BC.

10/2003 Celebration - 02/2004 Rhapsody - 9/2004 NCL Sea - 10/2004 Rhapsody of the Seas
3/2005 Holland Oosterdam - 9/2005 Mariner of the Seas - 10/2005 Rhapsody
2/2006 Carnival Elation - 9/2006 Adventure of the Seas 10/2006 HAL Zuiderdam
2/2007 Caribbean Princess - 5/2007 Majesty of the Seas B2B - 10/2007 Mariner of the Seas
2/2008 MSC Lirica - 3/2008 Voyager of the Seas - 10/2008 Adventure of the Seas
2/2009 Liberty of the Seas 6/2009 Mariner of the Seas - 9/2009 Jewel of the Seas
1/2010 Oasis of the Seas 3/2010 Voyager of the Seas - 9/2010 Carnival Conquest - 10/2010 Ruby Princess - 12/2010 Voyager of the Seas
2/2011 Celebrity Solstice
1/2012 Allure of the Seas

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee
Nope - still need a certified BC too. It's always been that way. Next year, passport required.

Fantasy - November 1997
Celebrity Zenith - December 2005
Carnival Destiny - October/November 2008 (B2B with the Sinnas)

Carnival Legend - October 2009 (S&SV)
Carnival Valor - September 2013 - 25th Anniversary

Insulin is not a cure.....it's life support!!!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I called carnival last night and they didn't think it would be a problem with them but it is not up to them but up to immigration. They suggested calling immigration and explaining........if they say no problem then get the persons name and badge # so if we run into a problem at embarkation then we provide that info. I think the easiest thing might be to take the BC with the wrong date and take it down and get a state issued ID with the incorrect info. Then just call Carnival and change their info. Use the drivers license as a back up only if needed.........I know this would we a little white lie, but since we leave in 1 month and I think getting the BC set right would take a bit of work.
thanks everyone, I appreciate your help
Sounds like you've helped figure it out for her. Good luck with immigration, hopefully you won't have to do anything else.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
5,000+ Club

RIght now get in touch with a passport expediting agency and PAY THE MONEY! It's a lot but it saved my behind. I had my passport stolen a week before a trip to Great Britain. They got me a new one without a problem.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Applying for a passport would require the birth certificate and driver's license info to match so that is not a solution in this case.

We process passport applications in my office and we would require the birth certificate to be corrected before we would process the passport application. An expediting agency only serves the purpose of walking the application directly to the US Department of State offices for you. If there is a mismatch, the USDS would reject it as well.

For what it's worth we've had lots of people be able to get corrected copies the same day from Vital Statistics. Although your sister is out of state, I think it's certainly worth a call to see how quickly they might be able to accomodate her. It could solve the whole problem easily without having to get more incorrect ID or hassle with immigration.

Good luck!

Last edited by martdm; February 22nd, 2006 at 01:41 PM.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by martdm
Applying for a passport would require the birth certificate and driver's license info to match so that is not a solution in this case.

We process passport applications in my office and we would require the birth certificate to be corrected before we would process the passport application. An expediting agency only serves the purpose of walking the application directly to the US Department of State offices for you. If there is a mismatch, the USDS would reject it as well.

For what it's worth we've had lots of people be able to get corrected copies the same day from Vital Statistics. Although your sister is out of state, I think it's certainly worth a call to see how quickly they might be able to accomodate her. It could solve the whole problem easily without having to get more incorrect ID or hassle with immigration.

Good luck!
According the the US Passport agency you need:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_830.html

A Birth Certificate
(I cut and pasted here, sorry)

You may prove your identity with any one of these, if you are recognizable:
  • Previous U.S. passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as proof of identity.)
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Current, valid
    • Driver's license
    • Government ID: city, state or federal
    • Military ID: military and dependents
NOTE: Your Social Security Card does NOT prove your identity.
If none of these are available , you will need:
  1. Some signature documents, not acceptable alone as ID
(ex: a combination of documents, such as your Social Security card, credit card, bank card, library card, etc.)
AND
  1. A person who can vouch for you. He/she must
  • Have known you for at least 2 years,
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
  • Have valid ID, and
  • Fill out a Form DS-71 in the presence of a passport agent.
You might also be able to get a State Issued Photo ID. It's just a thought.