Dubai on a Friday

cruisingbarb

What is there to do on Friday morning in Dubai? Can you do a marina cruise? What time do the gold and spice souks open back up? Is there enough to do on Friday morning or should we change our flights to avoid Friday? I hope I'm not over thinking this.

What is there to do on Friday morning in Dubai? Can you do a marina cruise? What time do the gold and spice souks open back up? Is there enough to do on Friday morning or should we change our flights to avoid Friday? I hope I'm not over thinking this.

The malls were open at least by noon if not earlier.

The gold and spice souks did not open until 4pm

The Big Bus tours were operating so great way to see the city. also the hop on hop off bus which has similar route to the big bus.

One route on the buses takes 3 hours and that is not getting off so it is great value for your money and time.

Many of the large hotels have brunches on Friday at noon

Also you could get a ticket to go up the Burj Khalifh (worlds tallest building)

In addition to the suggestions of go fish 44, you could also take a water ferry cruise between Marina Mall and Al Ghubaiba (creek area of Dubai) which depart at 11am

http://www.rta.ae/eservices/WaterTaxi/WaterTaxiBooking.action?request_locale=en

You could also have breakfast at Sahn Eddar in Burj al Arab (sail shaped hotel) which would allow you access to the lobby level where the restaurant is located. Reservations are required to gain entry on to the property and a minimum spend of 350 AED applies. Very close by is the Souk at Madinat Jumeirah which opens at 10. It is a beautiful resort with many boutiques and cafes so another option if you didn't want to splurge on breakfast at Burj al Arab.....you could still get some great pictures of the building from Madinat Jumeirah;)

Dubai Mall in the downtown area opens at 10am. In addition to visiting Burj Khalifa, there is an A380 simulator experience in the mall should you tire of shopping, an aquarium, across the pedestrian bridge is Souk al Bahar with a number of small shops and cafes, and many restaurants along Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Blvd to enjoy. On Friday, at 1:30 and 2:00 you can see the Dubai Fountains (double check timings)

Edited by lilybob

Thank you for the great information. Now I'm feeling better about being there on a Friday. We booked the Arabian Courtyard which seems to be in a good location. Looking forward to our trip.

That is where we stayed and we loved the location, great hotel. The HOHO bus stops just across the street and the Museum is also across the street.

The hotel also has a pool which was perfect after a hot day touring.

We did prepay for our breakfast which was a good way to start the day. Our room was on the 7th floor they called it the Executive Floor and from 5 to 8pm they had tea, coffee, and sandwiches, a few sweets available at no cost. (of course you need to tip)

Perhaps you want to ask the hotel about this option.

Sue

Sue, good to know we picked a good hotel. I did get the breakfast package. Since there are six of us, it makes it easier than trying to decide where to go. Is the museum worth a visit? We need something to do Saturday morning before we head to the airport.

Glad to know we picked a good hotel. I did get the breakfast package. Thought it would be easier than trying to find a place to eat. Is the museum worth a visit? We need something to do before we leave for the airport on Friday.

Glad to know we picked a good hotel. I did get the breakfast package. Thought it would be easier than trying to find a place to eat. Is the museum worth a visit? We need something to do before we leave for the airport on Friday.

Yes, the Museum is very interesting and that is what we did when we were waiting to go to the airport. We just left our luggage with the hotel.

Enjoy the great city of Dubai

Thank you for the great information. Now I'm feeling better about being there on a Friday. We booked the Arabian Courtyard which seems to be in a good location. Looking forward to our trip.

Arabian Courtyard is in an area called Bur Dubai, known locally as Old Dubai, I personally love it, but it isn't for everyone, especially if you want to see the glimmering touristy Dubai that is usually promoted to the world.

Definitely check out Dubai Museum, which is right nearby the hotel! It gives a great insight into how the city became what it is today.

Any suggestions on how to get to and from the hotel? There will be six of us. The hotel wants to charge $43 for two people/car. Sounds a little high to me. Are taxies readily available?

We took a taxi from the port to the hotel. sorry I cannot recall the price but I am sure it was not too expensive as we hate to spend money on taxis if we do not have too. We walked to the subway many times when we were in Dubai from our hotel Arabian courtyard it was about half mile. From the Arabian Courtyard they have a free shuttle to take you to the airport once you have completed your stay. Remember to tip though.