Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old July 24th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore2010 View Post
You need at least a week in Rome to fully appreciate it.

Last minute scrambling to see a couple things is fine, but you wont feel like you have been to Rome.

Not trying to be a jerk, but its kind of like saying I drove thru time square and went up the Empire State building. You cannot appreciate NY that way either.
Well, clearly, in a perfect world I would be able to spend more time there. Like I said at the top, this is not possible. However, just because I can't experience it all doesn't mean I intend to just spend my time in my hotel room. My original question was to inquire if my plans were feasible with time I have.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
You need at least a week in Rome to fully appreciate it.

Last minute scrambling to see a couple things is fine, but you wont feel like you have been to Rome.

Not trying to be a jerk, but its kind of like saying I drove thru time square and went up the Empire State building. You cannot appreciate NY that way either.
My view is you can always go back for more. Sure, I only got to spend 1 or 2 days in 'x' city. I either loved it or not. If I loved it, my appetite was whetted and I will return, maybe several times. That is one reason we love cruising. We can figure out where we want to return for a longer stay.

Old July 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelG View Post
My view is you can always go back for more. Sure, I only got to spend 1 or 2 days in 'x' city. I either loved it or not. If I loved it, my appetite was whetted and I will return, maybe several times. That is one reason we love cruising. We can figure out where we want to return for a longer stay.

I agree with you 100%. I have returned to cities I have seen on cruises as well.

The OP will have 3-4 hours in Rome before having to drive 1 1/2 hours to the ship.

My point was that isn't enough time to even get a feel for the city.
IMO she is going to see the right thing - Collosseum and Forum since they are next to each other and I am sure once they see that they will kick themselves for not rearranging the husbands schedule to get more time.
RCCL Enchantment 2004
Crystal Harmony 2001
HAL Amsterdam 2001
SS Paul Gaugin 2002
SS Mariner 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 2012
SS Voyager 2003, 2005, 2010
Oceania Marina 2011
Oceania Riviera 2012

Last edited by commodore2010; July 26th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Old July 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. I have returned to cities I have seen on cruises as well.

The OP will have 3-4 hours in Rome before having to drive 1 1/2 hours to the ship.

My point was that isn't enough time to even get a feel for the city.
IMO she is going to see the right thing - Collosseum and Forum since they are next to each other and I am sure once they see that they will kick themselves for not rearranging the husbands schedule to get more time.
We know we will be returning to Rome-probably next year. It is just not possible for DH to switch/alter vacation. We also have small children at home and 8 days is as much as I feel comfortable leaving them. I just want to have realistic expectations for what I can see in such a short amount of time.

We chose this cruise because we are fairly new to international travel and this would give us an opportunity to experience the med. and also relax and feel pampered-we never had a proper honeymoon! We liked that everything is planned out for us and we can just go with the flow.

Old July 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rome

You should be able to see the highlights of Rome in about three days. This will give you a sufficient foundation to decide if you are interested in a return visit. Should you decide to return, there are also many interesting things to see outside the city.

Old July 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Isadorable,

I've been to Rome 3 or 4 times all for varying lengths of stay. My suggestion would be to book a hotel in the area of Via Condotti/Spanish Steps; as others said this is a very walkable area allowing you to cover a lot on your own your first evening.
Next morning book a private guide and driver for what I would call a "Rome Lite" tour. You can visit the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and whatever else you choose for 3-4 hours. Since your depart time is not until 6 pm this should allow you sufficient time before your transfer. Perhaps you could skip Regent's transfer and get to port on your own later in the day? Do not stress and enjoy the time you do have there.

P.S. I have used a wonderful guide in Rome several times but do not believe I can post her name directly. Regulars to the board: Is this the case?

Old July 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM
10,000+ Club

You can post the names of guides. You just cannot post the name of travel agents.

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the clarification, wripro.

Isadorable, The guide I've used exclusively is Katja Hansel at:

http://www.romekidstours.com/index.html

Don't be put off by the name of her website, she is great at customizing anything you would like to see whether for adults or children.

Looks like a nice itinerary, have a great trip!