Explorer of the Seas - Refurbishing soon?

I noticed the Explorer is not sailing mid December through mid January 2012. Does anyone know why? Is it scheduled for dry dock/refurbishing?

I don't think it's a dry dock. Accordring to Royal's revitalization guide, Explorer's dry dock is scheduled for December 2014.

I noticed the Explorer is not sailing mid December through mid January 2012. Does anyone know why? Is it scheduled for dry dock/refurbishing?

10 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

from Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

search_result_thumb-carib-292x178.jpg Explorer Of The Seas

ADD TO CRUISE COMPARISON

Read all reviews | Write a Review

2012 DEPARTURE DATES:

Ports of Call:

Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Labadee, Haiti; Cape Liberty Cruise Port

Sails Dec. 3rd as well.

Christmas & New years sails 7 day Bahamas

10 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

from Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

search_result_thumb-carib-292x178.jpg Explorer Of The Seas

ADD TO CRUISE COMPARISON

Read all reviews | Write a Review

2012 DEPARTURE DATES:

Ports of Call:

Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Labadee, Haiti; Cape Liberty Cruise Port

Sails Dec. 3rd as well.

Christmas & New years sails 7 day Bahamas[/quote

I was like, "Phew!" Thats my sailing. :) I hope she's going.

Did I just sound, "LIKE" my daughter?lol

Explorer desperately needs refurbishing. The public areas are in great shape, but the cabins are very worn and tired looking.

That didn't stop us from booking another cruise on her, though! :)

Explorer desperately needs refurbishing. The public areas are in great shape, but the cabins are very worn and tired looking.

That didn't stop us from booking another cruise on her, though! :)

I totally agree, the public areas look great but the cabins have a little too much wear and tear.

I doubt they will refurbish every cabin during the next drydock. They will probably fix the ones that are in the very worst condition.

We had a GS a couple of summers ago that looked newly refurbished (blues and golds), but the inside cabin across the hall was not.

Last summer we had a JS and a D and neither had been refurbished. The JS did have the flat screen t.v. but the D didn't. Both rooms had the old (greenish and pink/orangish) color scheme.

Edited by marci22

My hubby looked at the pics and said, "Hon, as long as I have a balcony that I can see out of, and sit, I'm happy."

So we are going on board easy peasy.

On a side note, the cruise that we have so far enjoyed the most was a "Mini Suite" on the Golden Princess. I did not like the "side too" action in weather on that ship. I'm happy to know that the Explorer is, I think at least a 50 foot wider beam.

Since we are traveling out of Bayonne NJ in December I like that.

My hubby looked at the pics and said, "Hon, as long as I have a balcony that I can see out of, and sit, I'm happy."

This is the reason why they will not refurbish every room. They just don't have to. It would be foolish to spend that kind of money when they can fill the ship in spite of outdated room finishes.

Thank you to all who have set me straight. :). My husband noticed a break in the sailings so I thought I'd ask.

The explorer is one of our favorite ships - the crew is wonderful and for the most part, it's in good shape and very clean.

My favorite Explorer-cabins-need-refurbishment moment was picking up the remote control for the old tube TV for the first time only to notice that all of the numbers on the buttons were rubbed out! LOL

Made for some fun and exciting guesswork...

I totally agree, the public areas look great but the cabins have a little too much wear and tear.

Been on Explorer twice in the last 12 months. Once in D1 balcony and once in H interior.

Explorer is a beautiful ship. You people take a few cruises in the last 5 years on basically new ships and all of a sudden we have "cruise experts". You have no perspective.

Take a cruise 20 years ago and you would know from wear and tear.

A ship is a machine which is in a constant state of maintenance. Of which Royal Caribbean does an excellent job.

Until then the cabins on Explorer are in excellent excellent condition. Get me back on there tomorrow,

My favorite Explorer-cabins-need-refurbishment moment was picking up the remote control for the old tube TV for the first time only to notice that all of the numbers on the buttons were rubbed out! LOL

Made for some fun and exciting guesswork...

All you had to do was call Guest Services or tell your room steward and they would get you a new one.

That;s all, no biggie.

A ship is in a constant state of maintenance. I wish I could keep my house as well maintained as the crew of the Explorer keeps her.

And what;s this big fuss of flat screen vs tube set TV? Is that really a deal breaker? I don;t get that at all!!! Get out of your cabin and enjoy the islands and the sea air!!!

All you had to do was call Guest Services or tell your room steward and they would get you a new one.

That;s all, no biggie.

A ship is in a constant state of maintenance. I wish I could keep my house as well maintained as the crew of the Explorer keeps her.

And what;s this big fuss of flat screen vs tube set TV? Is that really a deal breaker? I don;t get that at all!!! Get out of your cabin and enjoy the islands and the sea air!!!

Haha. This is so true. After going on 2 Liberty cruises, then 2 Freedom cruises and then an Oasis cruise, I feared the worst after reading all the threads on here about how bad the Explorer needed a facelift. The ship was fine and at times I felt like I was on the Liberty or Freedom. A little wear and tear, but nothing major.

Been on Explorer twice in the last 12 months. Once in D1 balcony and once in H interior.

Explorer is a beautiful ship. You people take a few cruises in the last 5 years on basically new ships and all of a sudden we have "cruise experts". You have no perspective.

Take a cruise 20 years ago and you would know from wear and tear.

A ship is a machine which is in a constant state of maintenance. Of which Royal Caribbean does an excellent job.

Until then the cabins on Explorer are in excellent excellent condition. Get me back on there tomorrow,

Dude I did not rip Explorer or her crew, I praise Explorer almost everyday here but the fact is the ship in the cabins have a good amount of wear and tear. Stop taking things so personally, these are not surprises to RCCL. They know all about what their ships look like and need. They don't take it as personally as you did.

The only reason I mentioned it was to give an idea of what has been 'updated'.

That;s all, no biggie.

NordicPrince, what exactly is your problem on this thread? It seems you've appointed yourself Chief Personal Defender of the Explorer against people who are just stating observations. As you may recall, we're all entitled to our observations and opinions here even if you may disagree with them...

Seriously dude, get over it. I made a light hearted comment based on my own experience. No need to be as rude as you've been and call it "hogwash" (your title line) :rolleyes:.

Edited by Dave85

You know some of us come on here to find out info on these boards, and I'm done with all of the so called big time cruisers that have the attitudes, sick of you. I have been on 46 cruises and feel I'm far from the know it all some of you think you are. Quit with the smart remarks and grow up!!!!! Your not that special just because you cruise, just saying

• 2 years later...
We were on the Explorer in September 2014 and were told that it would be in dry dock to be updated, etc. I see it is now sailing in the UK. Does anyone know if it has been updated, etc.?

She is on the way to Cadiz, Spain right now for dry dock. Starts UK sailings in April, after dry dock.

Edited by clarea