Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > St. Croix

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default At a Loss for What to Do In St. Croix

DH and I will be stopping at St. Croix in March aboard Serenade of the Seas. I've been checking out these boards but I can't seem to get a clear picture of what are must do things on this island. Have the cruise ships started going there again or is this only starting in the Fall? Any suggestions or reviews would be welcome.

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cruise ships have been back on St. Croix for a while now.
RCCL Adventure of the Seas comes every other week. We also had quite a few Disney ships and some other repositioning ships that made calls here this past year.

As for things to do it really depends on your interests.

If you are beach people and enjoy snorkeling I would recommend a visit to beautiful Buck Island.

If you like history then an island tour which will stop at Whim Plantation, St. George's Botanical Garden and the Cruzan Rum Factory.

If you SCUBA dive, a Cane Bay wall dive is awesome.

If you like adventure there are tour operators that will take you on a jeep tour of the island and to some secluded pools at Annaly Bay.

If you want to see Danish architecture and shop visit Christiansted.

There is plenty to do here, a website that has great information on the island is www.gotostcroix.com

Regards from St. Croix
Ellen

Celebrity Equinox Istanbul May '14
HAL Eurodam Baltic Adventure July '11
RCCL Serenade of the Seas Southern Carib.May '11
Celebrity Equinox Holy Land Oct '10
RCCL Adventure Deep Southern Carib. April '10
RCCL Voyager of the Seas Western Med Oct.'09
RCCL Adventure Southern Carib. March '09
HAL Noordam Eastern Med May '08
RCCL Adventure Eastern Caribbean May'06
RCCL Enchantment Western Caribbean March'04

Last edited by CrucianGal; August 7th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

great website, thanks

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
5,000+ Club

You can also rent a car and drive all over the island, going to the eastern most point of the US which is quite a nice spot, to Christiansted and to the various other places CrucianGal mentioned.

Driving is interesting as the cars have the steering wheel on the left side of the car as we do on the US mainland, but you also drive on the left side of the road as in the UK. It's not hard at all.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old December 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just came back from doing private catarmaran with Kindred Spirit. Capt dan charges 100/person, 6 person max for full day sail and snorkel with lunch and drinks. Worth every penny! Take shuttle from Fredristad to Christenstad, he is at marina there. Let me know if you want his info.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleob View Post
DH and I will be stopping at St. Croix in March aboard Serenade of the Seas. I've been checking out these boards but I can't seem to get a clear picture of what are must do things on this island. Have the cruise ships started going there again or is this only starting in the Fall? Any suggestions or reviews would be welcome.
We did the Gecko ATV tour back in November and really enjoyed it
Independence of the Seas 11/15/13
Carnival Breeze 4/27/13
Carnival Freedom 11/11/12
Allure of the Seas 11/04/12
Celebrity Solstice 4/8/12
Emerald Princess 11/8/11
Allure of the Seas 5/8/11

Norwegian Spirit 5/28/10
Jewel of the Seas 10/27/09
Navigator of the Seas 4/2/09
Monarch of the Seas 12/8/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/28/08
Emerald Princess 11/26/07
Majesty of the Seas 4/27/07
Celebrity Century 4/21/07
Adventure of the Seas 12/10/06
Jewel of the Seas 12/11/05
Explorer of the Seas 7/12/03
Sovereign of the Seas 4/28/00

Old December 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Questions about Capt. Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadamum View Post
We just came back from doing private catarmaran with Kindred Spirit. Capt dan charges 100/person, 6 person max for full day sail and snorkel with lunch and drinks. Worth every penny! Take shuttle from Fredristad to Christenstad, he is at marina there. Let me know if you want his info.
Hi we are coming in jan. and did book a buck island trip, i'm just wondering where you went snorkeling ,it seems like a good price for lunch and a fullday. We are booked for a half day because we thought that would give us some time to do other things but don't know exactly what else there is to do since this is our first trip tost. croix

Old December 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default St. Croix tours

We were in St. Croix in December and we did the ATV tour with Gecko's Island Tours. We had a blast. We walked to the office, it is within minutes of the pier. My husband I shared an ATV - the price for the tour is per ATV. He had so much fun operating the ATV. Our tour guide was Seth and he was fun, knowledgeable, and personable. Not only did we have a great time, we learned a lot about the island and its history. We only booked the ATV tour; however, the expanded tour seems like a great value. Seth returned us to the office and we walked around the shops, stopped for a beverage, and even had time to take a swim at the nearby beach. Everyone at Gecko's was terriffic to deal with. I had emailed a few questions prior to booking the tour and Seth always got back to me promptly. We really had a great time on this tour.
1998 - NCL Leeward
1998 - NCL Sea
2001 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2002 - NCL Sky
2002 - NCL Sky (back to back)
2003 - NCL Sea
2004 - Celebrity Horizon
2007 - Cunard QM2
2008 - NCL Majesty
2009 - Carnival Imagination
2009 - Celebrity Mercury
2010 - Emerald Princess
2011 - NCL Jewel
2011 - Emerald Princess
2012 - Carnival Glory
2012 - NCL Star (Repo)
2013 - NCL Epic
2013 - NCL Dawn

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up What we did on St. Croix..

We took a taxi from the pier and visited the St. George Village Botanical Garden and really enjoyed it. Even our kids liked it! If you can find an organized tour going on follow them around a bit and then do the self-guided tour- or perhaps pay for a tour guide.
Then we spent the rest of our day at the beautiful Sandcastle Beach. The beach belongs to a resort and has a bathroom, bar, food, and showers! They were happy to have us for the afternoon without charge. They also rent out snorkel gear. Our Taxi driver knew all about this beach and deemed it (rightfully so) the best beach for us.
What really made our day perfect was our Taxi driver.
Our taxi driver charged us (2 adults and 3 children) $40 to go to the Botanical Gardens, and the Beach. I asked her to find a laundromat nearby and for another $10 she took me back to the ship to get my laundry, dropped me off at the laundromat, drove my family to the beach, and then came and picked me up 2 hours later and took me to my family at Sandcastle beach. We were so pleased with her service that we gave her an extra $10 (total $60). We had planned to walk back to the ship (about a 20 minute walk to Fredricksted pier) and had already paid her. (NOTE: MAKE SURE TO PAY ALL TAXI DRIVERS ON ALL THE ISLANDS ONLY AFTER THEY RETURN YOU TO THE SHIP!)
It had started to rain and she came back to get us! She didn't want us to walk in the rain. When we asked how much $ she would want-she said that it was for free. She just didn't want us to walk in the rain with the kids and a big suitcase full of clean laundry!
Her name is Audrey. Her cell #340.332.3034.
If you're lucky enough to ride with her please tell her that the crazy family with the laundry sent you and says Hello!

Please don't delete this reply! She really was amazing and HONEST and deserves the recommendation!

Old January 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

So glad you had a good day here! Lots of Cruzan people are really that awesomely kind and generous, good for you to meet a lovely lady in Audrey! I am a huge fan of the Botanical gradens here, I must say I remain really impressed at their display and knowledge, as well as love of beauty there.

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamay View Post
We took a taxi from the pier and visited the St. George Village Botanical Garden and really enjoyed it. Even our kids liked it! If you can find an organized tour going on follow them around a bit and then do the self-guided tour- or perhaps pay for a tour guide.
Then we spent the rest of our day at the beautiful Sandcastle Beach. The beach belongs to a resort and has a bathroom, bar, food, and showers! They were happy to have us for the afternoon without charge. They also rent out snorkel gear. Our Taxi driver knew all about this beach and deemed it (rightfully so) the best beach for us.
Our taxi driver charged us (2 adults and 3 children) $40 to go to the Botanical Gardens, and the Beach. I asked her to find a laundromat nearby and for another $10 she took me back to the ship to get my laundry, dropped me off at the laundromat, drove my family to the beach, and then came and picked me up 2 hours later and took me to my family at Sandcastle beach. We were so pleased with her service that we gave her an extra $10 (total $60). We had planned to walk back to the ship (about a 20 minute walk to Fredricksted pier) and had already paid her. (NOTE: MAKE SURE TO PAY ALL TAXI DRIVERS ON ALL THE ISLANDS ONLY AFTER THEY RETURN YOU TO THE SHIP!)
It had started to rain and she came back to get us! She didn't want us to walk in the rain. When we asked how much $ she would want-she said that it was for free. She just didn't want us to walk in the rain with the kids and a big suitcase full of clean laundry!
If you're lucky enough to ride with her please tell her that the crazy family with the laundry sent you and says Hello!

Please don't delete this reply! She really was amazing and HONEST and deserves the recommendation!
thanks for the info on this driver!!!

CRUISES
Carnival Fascination (3 day Bahama cruise) 2001
MV Columbia (7 day back to back Alaskan inside passage cruise) 2002
Oosterdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2004
Westerdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2005
Carnival Miracle (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2006
Maasdam (10 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2007
Maasdam (14 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (7 day Key West and Bahamas cruise) 2009
Carnival Triumph (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) April 2010
Maasdam (11 day Southern Caribbean cruise) December 2010
Carnival Dream (7 day Western Caribbean) September 2011
Peru! Lima to Machu Picchu April 2012!
Carnival Elation (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) June 2013

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

CruisingforSix- we went to two different spots to snorkel whilst out with Capt Dan on Kindred Spirit. Sorry I don't remember what the places were called. He will take you wherever you like and where he has seen lots of fish etc. This was ABSOLUTELY the best excursion we went on this trip! We were wowed by the catamaran and it roomy-ness for 6 people. Here is his website internationalcharterservices.com I can't rave about this trip enough!

Old May 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadamum View Post
CruisingforSix- we went to two different spots to snorkel whilst out with Capt Dan on Kindred Spirit. Sorry I don't remember what the places were called. He will take you wherever you like and where he has seen lots of fish etc. This was ABSOLUTELY the best excursion we went on this trip! We were wowed by the catamaran and it roomy-ness for 6 people. Here is his website internationalcharterservices.com I can't rave about this trip enough!
Can you give a little description of your day? How long, food, drinks, etc? I'm looking at this for my next cruise. Thanks!!!

2013 - Equinox (Ultimate Caribbean)
2012 - Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
2011 - Navigator of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
2011 - Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean)
2010 - Serenade of the Seas (Southern Caribbean)
2009 - Monarch of the Seas (Bahamas)
2009 - Eurodam (Eastern Caribbean)
2008 - Brilliance of the Seas (Mediterranean)
2006 - Grandeur of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
2004 - Constellation (Southern Caribbean)
1994 - Norway (Eastern Caribbean)

Old July 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamay View Post

Not sure if anybody is still reading this thread, but based on your recommendation, I called Audrey. It took a few days to reach her, but when I did, she seemed to be a very nice person. I booked with her over the phone.
Hopefully all will work out with using her.
Thanks,
Mitch.....

Carnival Sensation 2001
Carnival Destiny 2006
Carnival Valor 2008
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 2010
Carnival Valor 2013

Old August 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by takevtr1 View Post
Not sure if anybody is still reading this thread, but based on your recommendation, I called Audrey. It took a few days to reach her, but when I did, she seemed to be a very nice person. I booked with her over the phone.
Hopefully all will work out with using her.
Thanks,
Mitch.....
Hey Mitch - Would like to know how your excursion went when you get back - please post as we may want to book with her as well.....Thanks
2009 Celebrity Solstice
2008 Emerald Princess
2007 Celebrity Constellation
2006 Celebrity Constellation
2005 Jewel of the Seas
2004 Adventure of the Seas
2003 Radiance of the Seas

Old August 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did a Big Beard's tour last January, we had a full day catamaran cruise, 2 spots for snorkeling, and a BBQ lunch with TONS of rum punch! I think it was about $85 or $90 per person and completely worth it!! We had such an amazing time!

Past Sailings:
Celebrity Millennium - SE Asia January 2013
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska August 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Caribbean January 2011
Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean January 2010
Celebrity Century - Caribbean January 2009

Old January 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are taking a tour with Audrey on Jan. 23 in St. Croix. I would really like to find a few more people to join the tour to make it more worthwhile for her; we will meet her as soon as the ship docks. The rate she quoted us was $25 each for a 3 hour tour; I think she may make the tour longer if she gets more people.
Carole and John from Canada, would you like to join this also?

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmatofour View Post
We are taking a tour with Audrey on Jan. 23 in St. Croix. I would really like to find a few more people to join the tour to make it more worthwhile for her; we will meet her as soon as the ship docks. The rate she quoted us was $25 each for a 3 hour tour; I think she may make the tour longer if she gets more people.
I am cruising Feb. 20 - I would appreciate any information from your excursion experience - Enjoy your vacation

Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default to Carol and John from Canada re Audrey

Hi, we would love to join you with audrey. Heard great things about her.
we are in room 9606 (I think) or leave a message for us at the front desk. They will find us.
Barbara Freeland
Brian Scott.
We're two newly 60's from Vancouver Island. Getting excited about going on the ship in a couple of hours!
Regards,
Barbara

's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmatofour View Post

Old January 31st, 2011, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

We're going to be in St. Croix on March 6, please tell us about your tour with Audrey. How many people can she accomodate? Did you pick your itinerary for the 3 hours or did she?

You can contact me at whitejn@comcast.net.

Thanks in advance!!