Using a TA / vs. bokking direct (I'm a newbie)

I'm-a-Mick

Hi there - I'm new to all of this & am a bit overwhelmed by options of booking a cruise. I know when / where we'd like to go; I'm just not sure if booking through an online TA or direct with NCL is the answer. I know you can not "name" names on CC for TA's; however I found (what I guess would be considered a large online TA) that has WAY better pricing for the same cruise I just priced online direct with NCL. How do you trust these TA's and how can they discount the same cruise so much? Guess I'm afraid of booking outside of NCL & that it's some type of scam.....any booking advice is appreciated - thanks in advance :)

Hi there - I'm new to all of this & am a bit overwhelmed by options of booking a cruise. I know when / where we'd like to go; I'm just not sure if booking through an online TA or direct with NCL is the answer. I know you can not "name" names on CC for TA's; however I found (what I guess would be considered a large online TA) that has WAY better pricing for the same cruise I just priced online direct with NCL. How do you trust these TA's and how can they discount the same cruise so much? Guess I'm afraid of booking outside of NCL & that it's some type of scam.....any booking advice is appreciated - thanks in advance :)

First of all, you can ask around (other than on here) about these big online TAs. Many people will ONLY use TAs, and many will ONLY book through the cruiseline directly.

Second, you can check with the Better Business Bureau (you have to find the TA's actual office location from their website) and see if there have been any unresolved complaints. Most large businesses have at least occasional complaints - but the bad ones are the ones that have complaints that are unresolved.

Travel agents are not permitted to price cruises lower than NCL, so I'd be a little suspicious. Personally, I prefer using a brick and mortor Travel Agent since I can actually physically meet with them when trying to decide on a cruise or other vacation. Also if I were to run into trouble or just have a question I can always give them a call.

Also - Travel Agents are permitted to give out extra OBC or other perks above and beyond what you would get by booking direct. For example, for our upcoming Breakaway cruise, our Travel Agent is giving us $50 OBC above what we are already getting from NCL.

Online TA's (well, any TA for that matter) are not allowed to undercut NCL on price, HOWEVER, TA's can circumvent this by holding a bunch of rooms in inventory at a group rate. Shop around online and you will find any number of deals for OBC offers, free specialty restaurant credits, drink package credits, etc. See the post regarding NCL's newest deal for the Getaway and Breakaway. Not a bad deal if you can cruise during the required time frame.

Any TA that has the CLIA logo (governing body) will be straight up (with maybe one or two exceptions, nobody really well known though). Cruiselines will ban any TA they find not playing by the rules so to speak.

Edit: Dang it, y'all beat me to it!

Edited by tarps14

You also have to be careful when you are comparing prices that you are comparing TOTAL prices for both places.

Many times, these big online TAs won't include the port charges and taxes in the prices they show online.

NCL shows the complete price when you go onto their website, and then go through the booking process and select an actual cabin.

As someone else also said, many TAs buy cruises at group rates, so they can pass the savings onto you with extra OBC or other perks.

Our last cruise, we got some OBC and a bottle of wine from our TA, and the cruise prices were exactly the same as with NCL.

This time we got an additional $75 in OBC that we wouldn't have gotten if we went directly through NCL.

In fact, I love going through a TA since if there is an issue, THEY have to deal with NCL. I don't have to waste my time on the phone.

I also got a great upgrade when there was a price drop a few days after I booked. Went from an obstructed oceanview to a balcony at no additional cost - and the balcony price was HIGHER than what I paid - even after the price drop!

This was all through my TA :)

I did lot of deal hunting for our 2015 Alaska group booking for 29 cabins and no one was able to beat the prices of the big box store who has online travel site. I even requested NCL I will book for entire group with them if they can match the price but they said that is one place they can't match as they buy in bulk and set their own price.

I just got a $300 obc through a TA which I would not have got through NCL. Just ask the right questions, make sure no hidden fees, ie port taxes not included, make sure they do not automatically add insurance etc.. And then watch for price drops as u can submit for lower pricing ( make sue the TA does not charge extra for changes and cancels ).

just do ur homework and I'll be fine.

After using a large online TA to book this last cruise, I have decided to only book through the cruise company from now on. I have used the online company in the past. Their prices were exactly as NCL's; however, they offered free hotel nights, free travel insurance, or some other small perk.

In the past, I have not had to call and change anything with my cruise, so all was well. This time was another story. There was a large price drop, so I decided to call and see if there was anything they could do for me. Well, if you are already booked, you have to follow the prompts when calling and are routed to a system where I waiting for MANY hours. No kidding! I called Saturday night and sat on hold for over an hour. I decided they must have been closed and hung up. On Sunday afternoon I did it all over again. After 2 1/2 hours, I spoke to a human! Now, they were super friendly, and got me a great deal with NCL; however, I had to sit and wait while they called NCL and worked out the deal. I could have done that myself had I booked with NCL and bypassed the wait time. Luckily it was a Sunday and I had the time to sit and wait. Had it been a week day, it would have been a different story! It's not worth the 2 free nights hotel!

Travel agents are not permitted to price cruises lower than NCL, so I'd be a little suspicious. Personally, I prefer using a brick and mortor Travel Agent since I can actually physically meet with them when trying to decide on a cruise or other vacation. Also if I were to run into trouble or just have a question I can always give them a call.

Also - Travel Agents are permitted to give out extra OBC or other perks above and beyond what you would get by booking direct. For example, for our upcoming Breakaway cruise, our Travel Agent is giving us $50 OBC above what we are already getting from NCL.

That doesn't always work either. There was a cruise TA in central NJ a few years back that just went poof disappeared with everyone's money. I had actually booked a cruise with them years prior to them disappearing. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by GeriC

I am sure there are pluses and minues to both scenarios - TA versus booking directly with the cruiseline.

I have booked 3 separate cruises with 2 different cruiselines and would readily do that again. I have found it much easier to go directly to the cruiseline.

Now, if I'm looking for specific information about particular things on board - then I have found that the Personal Cruise Consultants or customer service reps tend to fall down a bit. They are good at the particulars about the reservation and getting the cruise booked, payments, etc. But in terms of itinerary, excursion details, how to get a spa pass and the cost - anything like that - I have found that sites like Cruise Critic by far has been the most helpful.

Of course, my experience of TA's has been disappointing because I find that when travelling solo - most TA's tend to brush you off or are not really interested in working with you. I suspect it has to do with the commissions that they get for each traveller on things like flights, etc. - and that with a solo, they will not make as much.

My vote is a TA… I liven a small town and use our amazing TA she is always there when I need them and I have needed them. They have always helped me with any and all of my questions and or concerns… With the recent price drops on NCL I just stopped in and wow…. it was handled… I got the lower rate and and even better on board credit…

I love my TA and will only book through her….

Just to make many of you aware that the information to warn someone that a Travel Agency cannot undercut Norwegian cruise Lines is False. Many Travel Agents set up Group Pricing Often that Group was set up 2 yrs+ in advance and some sailings the prices have been locked in at a lower rate than Norwegian may be offering. The other thing is that Norwegian may offer a hand full of agencies to offer specials that are also under their own web site pricing for special promotions. So just because a travel Agency is showing a lower rate does not mean there is anything wrong.

I have always booked thru a TA but this time when the price kept dropping (and I only booked 30 days out on the Epic) I was told there was nothing to be done after the final payment. I kept reading where people who booked directly thru NCL got more OBC or upgrades. I was told I would have to cancel and rebook which meant a cancellation penalty of $834. I think I might try to book directly with the cruise line next time to see if it works better after the price drops. I did see that NCL had the same perks as my TA when I booked and again, I was told I would lose those if I rebooked for a better price.

A moot point now since we are leaving tomorrow - ya hoo!:D

If you are a timeshare owner and belong to one of the large timeshare trading companies, you can get MUCH cheaper prices using their travel office for the cruises that direct from NCL. If you want an even lower rate, if you trade in a lockoff hotel type unit, you save even more. I have found that the major prices cuts from this particular TA are in the suites area. The more you are willing to spend, the higher amount of savings you get.

For this reason, we always book through our timeshare trade company.

Note - we never get any of the OBC or promotions though, which is a bummer. The price difference always more than makes up for that though.

I booked 3x direct with NCL (all by phone after doing price research on NCL website) and most recently with a large, online TA. Since my last experience booking with a TA, I'll NEVER book direct again.

I initially called the TA because I'd received an email from a partner website with promotions for the Breakaway that promised "up to $400 OBC". This on top of the $100 OBC NCL was offering, I figured it was worth exploring. I called to see exactly how much OBC I would actually get with a balcony room, expecting it to be minuscule - maybe $75 or $100 (okay, not minuscule, but definitely nowhere near $400). Imagine my surprise when the phone rep said "$300"! My bf and I looked at each other in total disbelief.

The TA was also able to use a state resident rate and we ended up paying about $100 less than what NCL was quoting me through the website. The TA was also able to give us various room # options and make recommendations. The TA's fee for the booking was a small $25 (per booking, not per person). So the savings plus the $300 from the TA and $100 from NCl, we felt like we hit the jackpot.

Just a note though if you do end up booking through a TA and getting extra OBC, be warned the TA's OBC often takes a while to start showing up. I called the TA about 3x in a panic that it wasn't showing up. After about 2-3 weeks after booking, it started showing up in our Vacation Summary on NCL.com under "Gifts and more".

Hope you find a great deal!

I always book through CAS but put a hold on a room on the BA yesterday through a well known website. A 2 bedroom suite which includes Ultimate drinking for 4, Dining for 2 package, $550 OBC, 3rd & 4th sail free plus the useless $300.00 coupon book. The rates per person are a few dollars more then booking a balcony through NCL without the perks. It does pay to shop around but i will call CAS today and see what they offer.

This is my first cruise as well. I originally booked thru NCL and got caught up in this very same debate. After some searching, I found a TA and transferred my booking. Although my experience with the TA has been a pleasant one, I have found it is a bit annoying to work with a 'middle man' between myself and NCL. If I have a question, I have to call my TA and wait for them to call NCL and get back to me with an answer. For example, on Saturday, I saw the Kids sail free promo on NCL. I had questions, seeing that I am past my final payment. I called my TA who said she was going to call NCL. I waited all day and finally called. She did not have a chance to call NCL because she had a lot of walk in clients. She then called and got nowhere. After reading a thread here and seeing that people in my same situation were allowed to partake in the promo, I called NCL myself. Because I am booked with a TA, NCL is not allowed to make changes to my booking. My TA was closed for the day and the operator who found a way to make it work was not able to do anything because she couldn't speak with the TA. So here I sit now with no resolution to my question and have to wait until my TA and NCL can agree on what is possible. I am a little more hands on and like to be involved. So in the future, I will probably stick with dealing with NCL directly. If I had kept my booking with NCL I would have been able to resolve this issue with one phone call and not have to play phone tag with multiple parties!

I always book through CAS but put a hold on a room on the BA yesterday through a well known website. A 2 bedroom suite which includes Ultimate drinking for 4, Dining for 2 package, $550 OBC, 3rd & 4th sail free plus the useless $300.00 coupon book. The rates per person are a few dollars more then booking a balcony through NCL without the perks. It does pay to shop around but i will call CAS today and see what they offer.

What is CAS???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to answer my questions; it helps knowing people out there care about helping others make informed choices! I'm still doing my due diligence but feel more confident, and have started my list of questions to ask of TA's & NCL. Many thanks & here's to cruising!!!!!:p