Costa Fascinosa from Barcelona 22/08/2015

MavisCruet

I have just returned from our cruise from Barcelona on the Costa Fascinosa and thought I would add a quick review.

Embarkation

We queued outside for 40 minutes to put our luggage in, it was very hot and the staff checked and boarding docs and passports. We then went upstairs and had to queue for another hour to "check in". There was only 2 check in staff and I note they only did the same as the other staff had done when they had taken our luggage which was to check our boarding passes. We then had to wait another 20 minutes to board the ship. All in all it had taken 2 hours from arriving at the port to get onto the ship despite us arriving at the time recommended being 11am. By this time we were all desperate for a drink of water having stood for 2 hours awaiting to get on ship but as we did not have our cruise cards we could not get a drink. (As cruise cards are given in rooms)

Muster

We were then herded down a corridor to a bar to watch the muster video, despite us not knowing our muster station (as this was on the cruise cards that we were yet to receive). We missed the first few minutes but when the video ended and then went straight to adverts for tours. By this time I was not going to sit through this advert as still desperate for a glass of water and we were vaguely shown the lifeboat points but advised that once we had our cruise cards we could go and find which one we were allocated to ourselves!

Unbelievable has this company not learnt anything from their disaster. I note that all other ports had full muster with life jackets, I think they do not leave themselves enough time at Barcelona to do the necessary.

Staff

I never met our room steward, I believe this is due to the tipping policy as you are not allowed to opt out the staff do not need to be nice to get their tips. When I was on a carnival ship the room steward told me they worked hard to get good reviews from customers as they could then get promotions. Perhaps Costa's should think about this.

Barstaff and restaurant staff all seemed very pleasant and helpful.

Overall after the first day where I was swearing off getting on a Costa ship again, I actually calmed down and enjoyed the cruise. They are very Italian dominated so not really for everyone who may miss having a conversation in English or prefer people with "English Manners" but I may try them again.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just returned from our cruise from Barcelona on the Costa Fascinosa and thought I would add a quick review.

Embarkation

We queued outside for 40 minutes to put our luggage in, it was very hot and the staff checked and boarding docs and passports. We then went upstairs and had to queue for another hour to "check in". There was only 2 check in staff and I note they only did the same as the other staff had done when they had taken our luggage which was to check our boarding passes. We then had to wait another 20 minutes to board the ship. All in all it had taken 2 hours from arriving at the port to get onto the ship despite us arriving at the time recommended being 11am. By this time we were all desperate for a drink of water having stood for 2 hours awaiting to get on ship but as we did not have our cruise cards we could not get a drink. (As cruise cards are given in rooms)

Muster

We were then herded down a corridor to a bar to watch the muster video, despite us not knowing our muster station (as this was on the cruise cards that we were yet to receive). We missed the first few minutes but when the video ended and then went straight to adverts for tours. By this time I was not going to sit through this advert as still desperate for a glass of water and we were vaguely shown the lifeboat points but advised that once we had our cruise cards we could go and find which one we were allocated to ourselves!

Unbelievable has this company not learnt anything from their disaster. I note that all other ports had full muster with life jackets, I think they do not leave themselves enough time at Barcelona to do the necessary.

Staff

I never met our room steward, I believe this is due to the tipping policy as you are not allowed to opt out the staff do not need to be nice to get their tips. When I was on a carnival ship the room steward told me they worked hard to get good reviews from customers as they could then get promotions. Perhaps Costa's should think about this.

Barstaff and restaurant staff all seemed very pleasant and helpful.

Overall after the first day where I was swearing off getting on a Costa ship again, I actually calmed down and enjoyed the cruise. They are very Italian dominated so not really for everyone who may miss having a conversation in English or prefer people with "English Manners" but I may try them again.

Thank you for the review. We are sailing out of Barcelona next month on the Fascinosa. First time on Costa for us. Sounds like it shall be interesting and different from what we are accustomed to.

Bill and Denise