Packing wine

gratamama

Hello - and I hope this is a reasonable board for this question?!?!?

we're flying to Tampa on Southwest next month, and just using the hotel's transport (hotel isn't close to anything) so I'm considering packing the allowable wine in checked luggage.

On its website, Southwest says this:

• Alcohol (wine and liquor) must be in the original unopened container with the manufacturer's label when transported in or as checked baggage.
  • The maximum quantity of liquor that may be transported in or as checked baggage on Southwest Airlines is five liters per Customer. Wine is not subject to the five-liter per Customer limitation.
  • Alcohol content may not exceed 70% by volume (140 proof).
  • Alcohol (wine and liquor) in checked baggage must be securely packaged in a leak-proof bag with adequate professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
  • Alcohol (wine and liquor) accepted as checked baggage must be contained within a corrugated box secured with sealing tape. The contents must be packaged in a leak-proof bag with professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
  • Liquor and wine packaging is available for sale at Southwest Airlines ticket counters for $5.00 per unit.
  • Southwest Airlines does not accept liability for breakage of liquids or fragile items in checked luggage even if transported in special packaging purchased from Southwest Airlines.
  • Packaging purchased at Southwest Airlines ticket counters is intended for liquor or wine placed inside checked baggage only.
  • Professional packaging by alcohol and wine suppliers (e.g., cruise lines, wineries, duty-free shops) is acceptable as long as the contents have adequate cushioning and the packaging prevents leakage.
  • All alcohol (wine and liquor) is subject to TSA screening.

I guess my question is, do i really need to go out and buy professional wine packaging, or can i reasonably believe it won't be confiscated if i do an awesome job with bubble wrap/ tape?

• 3 weeks later...

What cruise line are you going on? We just got off Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas. They x-ray every suitcase as well as carry-on bag. My wife had her bottle of wine removed from her carry-on. Our friends had a bottle of wine removed from each of their suitcases. Judging from the conversations with others, everyone had their wine pulled from their luggage and only got to pick it up the last morning as they were exiting the ship.

This fall will be our first time sailing on RCL. we have been on Princess, HAL, Celebrity and NCL. We have brought wine aboard all the ships. We have even purchased wine at port calls and brought it on board. If it is then brought to the dining room, we have paid a corkage fee. Princess and NCL also allowed DH to bring a 6 pack of beer aboard in the ports. Am I correct in surmising that this is a no-no on RCL? Is this official policy? We would not enjoy it being held until the last day as then we will be boarding a flight home and couldn't take it with us. At onboard prices, I think that our wine consumption will be down.

Ciao,

Nikki

• 3 weeks later...
This fall will be our first time sailing on RCL. we have been on Princess, HAL, Celebrity and NCL. We have brought wine aboard all the ships. We have even purchased wine at port calls and brought it on board. If it is then brought to the dining room, we have paid a corkage fee. Princess and NCL also allowed DH to bring a 6 pack of beer aboard in the ports. Am I correct in surmising that this is a no-no on RCL? Is this official policy? We would not enjoy it being held until the last day as then we will be boarding a flight home and couldn't take it with us. At onboard prices, I think that our wine consumption will be down.

Ciao,

Nikki

You are absolutely correct - no alcohol, including wine, may be brought onboard EXCEPT if you buy some at ports, they will take it and return it the last night. The policy now is that if they confiscate it from your luggage, you will not get it back.

Hello - and I hope this is a reasonable board for this question?!?!?

we're flying to Tampa on Southwest next month, and just using the hotel's transport (hotel isn't close to anything) so I'm considering packing the allowable wine in checked luggage.

On its website, Southwest says this:

• Alcohol (wine and liquor) must be in the original unopened container with the manufacturer's label when transported in or as checked baggage.
  • The maximum quantity of liquor that may be transported in or as checked baggage on Southwest Airlines is five liters per Customer. Wine is not subject to the five-liter per Customer limitation.
  • Alcohol content may not exceed 70% by volume (140 proof).
  • Alcohol (wine and liquor) in checked baggage must be securely packaged in a leak-proof bag with adequate professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
  • Alcohol (wine and liquor) accepted as checked baggage must be contained within a corrugated box secured with sealing tape. The contents must be packaged in a leak-proof bag with professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
  • Liquor and wine packaging is available for sale at Southwest Airlines ticket counters for $5.00 per unit.
  • Southwest Airlines does not accept liability for breakage of liquids or fragile items in checked luggage even if transported in special packaging purchased from Southwest Airlines.
  • Packaging purchased at Southwest Airlines ticket counters is intended for liquor or wine placed inside checked baggage only.
  • Professional packaging by alcohol and wine suppliers (e.g., cruise lines, wineries, duty-free shops) is acceptable as long as the contents have adequate cushioning and the packaging prevents leakage.
  • All alcohol (wine and liquor) is subject to TSA screening.

I guess my question is, do i really need to go out and buy professional wine packaging, or can i reasonably believe it won't be confiscated if i do an awesome job with bubble wrap/ tape?

We fly Southwest all the time and I was surprised to see this list of requirements. In our checked bags, we have just rolled the wine up within our clothing with no additional packing. Last time around (three weeks ago), I did use some wine diapers for a few bottles as an experiment. We also checked a case using this: http://www.thewinecheck.com . Only question at check in was what was in the shipper (duh, it says wine check on the top). We said wine and were asked if it was "properly packaged." We didn't seal the top with tape or anything. We have literally taken hundreds of bottles on Southwest over the years. Never had a problem.

• 7 months later...

I also use a Wine Check. Mine is black (from the Berzerkers Day Special) and doesn't identify the contents as wine. It's gone cross-country and to Europe and back with no problems. I don't seal my box either, anyone intent on taking the contents will simply cut the tape.

Anyone who puts wine wrapped in clothing into a suitcase had better be prepared to pay for the ruined contents of other people luggage should the bottle break. I've seen it happen and it's not pretty. Don't think that the bubble wrap or plastic bag will keep it from leaking, broken glass will slice through those like they are Kleenex.

Archived