Wet suit or rash guard

Malinger

Hi there! We are traveling in early June on a western Caribbean cruise. We plan on snorkeling 3 out of 4 stops. My question is this....

We have both 2 Mil shorty wet suits or is regular old swimwear with a rash guard (shirt only) sufficient? The rash guard takes up MUCH less room but offers no protection against the cold, sea lice, or actual Jellys. Is it worth taking the wet suit?

Just imagine getting a sunburn on the back of your legs then sitting down for dinner. I would suggest and recommend the 2 mil wet suit it will dry quickly if you hang it inside out after couple hrs turn it right side out

you rarely see a DM not wearing a wet suit . . .

I tend to wear at least farmer johns for protection from bumps and things I might accidentally kneel on when taking pictures ... I know shame on me but booboos happen

I have snorkeled many times in the Carribbean and never have wore a wet suit. A rash guard can be helpful but I rarely saw those being worn. Actually I do not remember ever seeing anyone wearing a wet suit snorkling. Diving is a different story.

Thanks for the replies. I am used to Hawaii where you CAN go without a wet suit but after an hour in the water you will wish you had one. :D

I will likely stick to rash guard, but I may toss the suit into the suitcase if the wife leaves me room.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. I am used to Hawaii where you CAN go without a wet suit but after an hour in the water you will wish you had one. :D

I will likely stick to rash guard, but I may toss the suit into the suitcase if the wife leaves me room.....:rolleyes:

Good decision. You are obviously a properly trained hubby.

Good decision. You are obviously a properly trained hubby.

lol :D:D:D

The wet suit is great if you are doing a few snorkelling stops on one excursion as you might end up being in the water for a couple of hours.

If you are just snorkelling from the beach the rash guard is much more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been diving and snorkeling in Florida and the Caribbean since 1994 and I have never worn a wet suit or a rash guard. The water is warm. I have even gone 95 ft down and it felt great down there.

I have been diving and snorkeling in Florida and the Caribbean since 1994 and I have never worn a wet suit or a rash guard. The water is warm. I have even gone 95 ft down and it felt great down there.

I wear for the UV (50) protection and warding off the little stingy things.

The warmth is welcome in the Bahamas' much cooler waters.

I wear for the UV (50) protection and warding off the little stingy things.

The warmth is welcome in the Bahamas' much cooler waters.

The UV and "stingy things" is what I was after as well. Besides I dont want to mess up my farmer tan. :D

FWIW, I read once that panty hose also protect against jellyfish stings.

I have not personally tried this out.

I have gotten stung by the little stingy almost-invisible ones while wearing a shorty (on the non-covered areas, of course), and they kept 'firing off' all night, even with benadryl. Was fine the next day.

Hi there! We are traveling in early June on a western Caribbean cruise. We plan on snorkeling 3 out of 4 stops. My question is this....

We have both 2 Mil shorty wet suits or is regular old swimwear with a rash guard (shirt only) sufficient? The rash guard takes up MUCH less room but offers no protection against the cold, sea lice, or actual Jellys. Is it worth taking the wet suit?

I used to wear a full wetsuit when diving in the Caribbean, but have started using strictly a skin. It still provides protection over the body, but is thin and allows me to drop some weight because it is significantly less bouyant than the wetsuit. It also takes up a lot less room and dries quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived