Britannia compared with Regal and Royal Princess ships

seapals2

Has anyone sailed on both P&O and Princess new larger ships. Hard to understand on the reviews why Britannia gets such negative feedback and Regal and Royal both very similar do not.

We have booked Regal next year in the Caribbean and wonder if we will have all the problems that crop up on the Britannia feedback.

Meant to add we prefer Grand,Golden and Caribbean all similar ships to Ventura and Azura but built with a deck less of cabins. Haven't scrutinised deck plans for Regal to see if this is the case too. Less passengers for the same size public rooms may explain the difference in feedback.

We did a review tour of Royal Princess prior to the naming ceremony.

The ship was amazing and particularly the atrium with Crooners, Sabatini's, Alfredo's, the International Cafe and the Champagne/caviar bar all located there.

In general all the décor/furnishing are a notch above Britannia.

Up on the Lido deck there is the huge TV screen, Sky walk and Sky walk bar. They have a Bellagio style water feature too. Up in the adults only area there are cabanas and the whole area seems far more classy than what we had on Britannia.

Food choices in the Horizon Court were greater too as Britannia obviously only caters for British tastes.

The theatre, Live lounge and cinema are the same but you don't have the Crow nest, Limelight lounge or the Crystal Room (which for us was excellent).

As the 2015 itineraries for Regal & Royal didn't suit us we gave Britannia a try. We had a great time because it was a "Strictly" themed cruise but missed Princess.

Fundamentally the ships are identical and we had no problems with the lifts or lack of a central staircase. We just walked and used the stairs which was no big deal whatsoever.

If you are a penny pincher then I would recommend Britannia as the drinks are cheap and the autotips nearly half what Princess add on.

To sum up Royal Princess gave us the "Wow" factor so boarding Britannia for the first time was a little underwhelming.

We did the day on board Royal too. Then couldn't understand the cruise critic Britannia review where roughly only 50% would sail on it again. We would not choose P&O again after cruising twice on Azura this year and once on Celebrity Eclipse. P&O have lost the plot as far as we are concerned ... And also our custom.

We have Elite loyalty with Princess (otherwise Celebrity would be our first choice) so we are going to give Regal a try in the Caribbean. Newer than Royal so we are hoping for the wow factor. Watch this space ... Will be back with a review.

• 5 weeks later...

Have been looking at photos of Britannia and the decor is very different from the Princess ships but the biggest obvious difference is Britannia was built without the sky walk. Makes sense to me as we have been allocated a mini suite below this glass walkway on Regal. Some previous passengers think it will be a problem others say it's no worse than the mini suites on Azura and Grand class princess type ships which are overlooked from above. The lifts and stairwells seem to attract the most negative comments on all these ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having been on both the Regal and Britannia, I loved both ships. Decor wise they are different, I liked the difference and would not say one was better over the other. I would agree that the buffet choice on Britannia was not as varied as on the Regal but the MDR seemed to be very similar. I loved the Glass House on the Britannia but no-one bar stood out above the rest on the Regal.

Britannia had a fabulous backdrop for it's shows but once again the entertainment was ~equal, though Regal often had acts perform in the Atrium.

The absence of the Sky Walk did not bother us, once you have walked across it once, you tend not to bother again!!

I would agree that the pool area was better designed on the Regal.

I would travel on either again since I tend to go for itinery first, then ship. Neither Royal, Regal or Britannia have been particularly well received as noted previously but for all the missing features, they do have new features which make them attractive in their own rights :).