Transexual cruising

NorbertsNiece

No direct experience, but have read on here that there are group cruises for cross dressers. I would check out the search function to get some leads. As I understand the cruises I 've read about, they were primarily for heterosexual cross dressers, and often with their supportive wives. I'm not sure about any cruises specifically for those who are in transition, or those who more identify with the gay community. Hopefully, there is a cruise that matches your uncle's situation.

AndrAndrew

I do not mean this in a negative sense but if he goes on a standard cruise, his experience may depend upon how "flamboyant" he is. I would also guess that a cruise that caters to younger people might be better as younger people are probably less judgmental than older folk.

DON

Thanks guys. Not my uncle, just a friend.

He's not flamboyant but really enjoys going out dressed as a woman; he wears age appropriate clothing etc. He's definitely heterosexual. He'd have to board as himself passport-wise I guess but would like to spend his days/evenings as herself. If that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense, and I agree that it's an excellent opportunity. There would be no one there who knows him. I do caution though that he would would have to do excursions as his male self though, because they check your picture going on and off the ship. To avoid this, he could either work with the crew so they understood the situation, or just stay on board for port days.

It makes perfect sense, and I agree that it's an excellent opportunity. There would be no one there who knows him. I do caution though that he would would have to do excursions as his male self though, because they check your picture going on and off the ship. To avoid this, he could either work with the crew so they understood the situation, or just stay on board for port days.

Great advice. Thank you so much.

Thanks guys. Not my uncle, just a friend.

He's not flamboyant but really enjoys going out dressed as a woman; he wears age appropriate clothing etc. He's definitely heterosexual. He'd have to board as himself passport-wise I guess but would like to spend his days/evenings as herself. If that makes sense.

Might give her a whirl on the dance floor :D

I would also guess that a cruise that caters to younger people might be better as younger people are probably less judgmental than older folk.

DON

I think the opposite may be true. Younger people in groups who are drinking a lot are a lot more likely to be disrespectful than seniors.

etc. He's definitely heterosexual. He'd have to board as himself passport-wise I guess but would like to spend his days/evenings as herself. If that makes sense.

Hi Linda, try a google search that contains the words dignity and cruise, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but it may give an idea of what is out there. Normally when groups like this travel together the cruise lines are told what to expect as to minimize any misunderstandings with the crew. The normal popular cruise lines are familiar with these passengers even though I don't believe they represent a huge portion of the cruise market. In short I don't believe you (or him) would encounter any problems if he wished to take a cruise privately. I know of instances where they boarded as herself, but I'm sure it would be much easier boarding as him.

Yes, it does make sense:o.

• 2 weeks later...

I get bad remarks from younger types when Im wearing my Kilts. And im not trying to look female.. I just ignore others. There was a "transgender" type on the Miracle cruise I took Nov 2009. There was conversation going around talking about this person. I didnt see "it or her" till the last couple days of trip in one of the last ports sitting out by the pool.

I'm sure the younger types are a bit less secure in their feelings and resort to ridicule as a defense mechanism. Hopefully as they grow older they will become a bit more tolerant to those who don't conform to their "normal."

I get bad remarks from younger types when Im wearing my Kilts. And im not trying to look female.. I just ignore others. There was a "transgender" type on the Miracle cruise I took Nov 2009. There was conversation going around talking about this person. I didnt see "it or her" till the last couple days of trip in one of the last ports sitting out by the pool.

"It or her"? And YOU complain about "bad remarks?" Jeez.

I know it might seem stereotyping, but my take on it is to aim for cruises from the West Coast, especially San Francisco. The Bay Area has a large and visible trans community; one ex-president of our Police Commission is male-to-female, and honestly, she never got flack for it. (Not to mention all the cute female-to-male guys running around out here. ;) )

Or try something out of NYC. My personal experience is that FL cruises tend to attract, um, demographic groups who might be less respectful of transpeople, referring to them as "it" and the like. And Galveston? Ask Rick Perry.

Edit- Nomenclature nit-pick: cross-dressers are generally regarded as transgendered, not transsexual.

"It or her"? And YOU complain about "bad remarks?" Jeez.

I know it might seem stereotyping, but my take on it is to aim for cruises from the West Coast, especially San Francisco. The Bay Area has a large and visible trans community; one ex-president of our Police Commission is male-to-female, and honestly, she never got flack for it. (Not to mention all the cute female-to-male guys running around out here. ;) )

Or try something out of NYC. My personal experience is that FL cruises tend to attract, um, demographic groups who might be less respectful of transpeople, referring to them as "it" and the like. And Galveston? Ask Rick Perry.

Edit- Nomenclature nit-pick: cross-dressers are generally regarded as transgendered, not transsexual.

You were probably thinking I was making fun of this person. I wasnt. I can care less what others do or dress. I just couldnt tell if this person had a sex change or just cross dressing. that is why I sayed "It".. "She" was wearing a 2 peice bikini, and it didnt show much of the "male" parts like say me wearing a Speedo. As far I im conserned, this person had a sex change. The arms, hands, and upper torso were to muscular to be of a women. But there are some women body builders around also. This could of been one of them which made others thinking she was a cross dresser.

I'm sure the younger types are a bit less secure in their feelings and resort to ridicule as a defense mechanism. Hopefully as they grow older they will become a bit more tolerant to those who don't conform to their "normal."

Actually, on that same cruise on the Miracle, A group of younger teens (13-16) give or take acually gave me a very positive comment about my Kilt and wished other guys wore them. There are about 5 of them stopped me in the hallway next to elevator to make the comment.

You were probably thinking I was making fun of this person. I wasnt. I can care less what others do or dress. I just couldnt tell if this person had a sex change or just cross dressing. that is why I sayed "It"..

While I can appreciate that some male transvestites might prefer to think of themselves as men in dresses, there's a noteworthy difference between "him or her" and "it or her." Just sayin'.

Also, transpeople are not "transgender," they're transgender. The quotes seem kinda snarky, like rightwing websites putting quotes around "gay marriage," as though it were a dubious fiction.

And not all transsexuals have had sex change operations.

Like I said, just sayin'.

Archived