Getting to St Johns questions

james'mommy

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. We've done St Thomas a ton of times so we are looking to do something different. I would like to take the ferry to St John and go to Trunk Bay. We will be in port on The Jewel of the Seas on 3/27. Is there more than one cruise pier in St Thomas? Last year where we docked seemed way nicer than where we were parked before. MIL remembers getting off the ship and being able to get right on the ferry but FIL remembers needing to take a taxi. How much should a taxi for 5 people cost to get to the ferry? How often does the ferry run? How much does it cost? How much should a taxi cost to get to Trunk Bay? Are there any beach bars or club I can make reservations for loungers at? Thanks you in advance.

You are scheduled to dock in Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie (downtown). There are 2 other ships in port with you, one in Crown and one in Havensight which is to the east of CA. There are only 8,000 cruisers total so not a bad port day at all.

The preferred way to get to St John is on your own via taxi from the port to the Red Hook ferry on the East End. This ferry runs every hour on the hour in both directions and is very reliable, while the ferry that departs from town is not. Some folks will choose the St John excursion through the ship to get a ferry right from near the ship. But it is a 45 minute ride through rougher water, while the Red Hook ferry is a 15 minute ride through a bit calmer water. And the cost is probably higher through the ship.

The cost of going on your own is about $50 - $52 round trip: $22 - $24pp taxi between Red Hook, $14pp ferry, and $14pp taxi between Cruz bay and Trunk. You can also add a nice island tour on STJ for about $25pp and you are dropped at Trunk after the tour. With that option the total cost per person is about $68 - $70.

This is a very easy self-excursion and if you make the 9AM Red Hook ferry (which you should) you'd have a good 5.5 hrs on St John and can take the 3PM return ferry and have plenty of time to make your 5PM all aboard.

You are scheduled to dock in Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie (downtown). There are 2 other ships in port with you, one in Crown and one in Havensight which is to the east of CA. There are only 8,000 cruisers total so not a bad port day at all.

The preferred way to get to St John is on your own via taxi from the port to the Red Hook ferry on the East End. This ferry runs every hour on the hour in both directions and is very reliable, while the ferry that departs from town is not. Some folks will choose the St John excursion through the ship to get a ferry right from near the ship. But it is a 45 minute ride through rougher water, while the Red Hook ferry is a 15 minute ride through a bit calmer water. And the cost is probably higher through the ship.

The cost of going on your own is about $50 - $52 round trip: $22 - $24pp taxi between Red Hook, $14pp ferry, and $14pp taxi between Cruz bay and Trunk. You can also add a nice island tour on STJ for about $25pp and you are dropped at Trunk after the tour. With that option the total cost per person is about $68 - $70.

This is a very easy self-excursion and if you make the 9AM Red Hook ferry (which you should) you'd have a good 5.5 hrs on St John and can take the 3PM return ferry and have plenty of time to make your 5PM all aboard.

We'll be the only ship in port on the RCCL Oasis in port May 4. From 11-7 very weird time. How long will we have on St John at Trunk Bay using the Red Hook ferry to Crown Bay? What time should we take the return ferry to. Be back at the ship on time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should make the 12PM ferry and would want the 5PM return and that would give you at least 4 hrs free on STJ, 3 hrs with the 1PM ferry.

According to vinow dot com and http://www.cruisett.com you're the only ship in port on Wednesday, May 3rd.

[EDIT] Maybe take the 4PM return from STJ to be extra safe. Traffic can be heavier heading back to the dock and you should allow 1 hr for the taxi just in case...

Edited by blue_water

Not much actual time at the beach but everyone says it's worth it. 3 hours travel for maybe 3 hours beach time, ugh!!

Yes definitely not worth it to us. Trunk is a very popular beach and gets crowded like Magens. We will spend a day visiting STJ when staying at Sapphire, but on a cruise stop unless you have 10 hrs in port it can be a rushed day going there.

But the travel is part of the adventure too! :)

We love Sapphire Beach on the East End of St Thomas, and Lindqvist is even more gorgeous. And that shaves 1.5 - 2 hrs off the travel time and $28 - $32pp off the fare! :cool:

Yes definitely not worth it to us. Trunk is a very popular beach and gets crowded like Magens. We will spend a day visiting STJ when staying at Sapphire, but on a cruise stop unless you have 10 hrs in port it can be a rushed day going there.

But the travel is part of the adventure too! :)

We love Sapphire Beach on the East End of St Thomas, and Lindqvist is even more gorgeous. And that shaves 1.5 - 2 hrs off the travel time and $28 - $32pp off the fare! :cool:

I've been to both Magen's and Sapphire beach on 2 previous trips to St. Thomas. One reason for this trip is ST. John just didn't realize how far it was:/

I've been to both Magen's and Sapphire beach on 2 previous trips to St. Thomas. One reason for this trip is ST. John just didn't realize how far it was:/

Then yes, definitely worth the trip over. And the ferry ride on the top deck is nice if an option.

Consider Cinnamon Bay which is also beautiful if a busy day at Trunk... And we like walking Cruz Bay with the shops there, a nice alternative to Charlotte Amalie :)

Meant to add that the island tour with a drop off at the beach after is a very nice day. Adds another $25pp or so but you don't pay for a taxi to the beach and it is a tour of the beautiful north shore.

I misspoke above, sorry. Going to STJ just adds another 30 - 40 min each way with no queues. That's the beauty of going on your own. Travel time to Trunk should be just 1 hr or so with no delays...20 - 25 min taxi to Red Hook and the 15 - 20 min ferry and ~10 min taxi to Trunk. Just allow a bit more time for the return taxi to port...

Edited by blue_water

I misspoke above, sorry. Going to STJ just adds another 30 - 40 min each way with no queues. That's the beauty of going on your own. Travel time to Trunk should be just 1 hr or so with no delays...20 - 25 min taxi to Red Hook and the 15 - 20 min ferry and ~10 min taxi to Trunk. Just allow a bit more time for the return taxi to port...

We are definitely beach people have been all over the Caribbean many times so we just want the beach. Whatever sights we see along the way is great.

I saw that the children's rate on the ferry was less than an adult rate. My question is for a taxi, is the children's rate the same as the adult rate or is it less as well. Maybe some one can help me with an approximate cost for my wife and I and two kids ages 2 and 8 to get from the cruise port on St. Thomas to trunk bay. We are on the Carnival Glory docking there on May 30th. Thanks for your help! I love reading all the reviews and tips!

The official taxi rates do not quote prices for children so it's up to the taxi driver as to whether they will discount for kids. Some will some won't. It's the luck of the draw as to which taxi you'll be assigned to.

Outtamyworkclothes, we would head for Cinnamon because it's probably not as busy as Trunk and just as beautiful.

08, with no reduced prices for the kids the cost will be $48pp round trip ($10 taxi to Red Hook, $7 ferry to Cruz bay, $7 taxi to Trunk x 2).

THANKx blue_water, that is exactly what we did. Though we did not go into Trunk, but could tell by the amount of cars etc... it was crowded. Cinnamon was perfect, concession stand for food and drinks. Chair rental was $20 for 2 lounge chairs. Lil steep... but only game in town. Saw 3 deer and one iguana walking through the camp grounds. The beach is beautiful... always loved St Johns. Tip is to get as close to the vegetation as that is only shade.

08: blue nailed it... $48 for round trip. tip: buy return ticket at Red Hook... ferry back was crowded with returning cruisers.

We did the trip on our own one time to St. John. We almost missed the boat, due to road construction. RCCL has several excursions going to St. John. Last time it was $44@. Once you get to St. John you can go directly to the beach. You do not have to do whatever the excursion is. It almost the same money, but a lot safer. Don't forget to eat at Uncle Joes right next to the pier in St. John.

We have been to St Johns 3 times from both Crown Bay And Havenight. We have taken both the cab to Red hook and the ferry to St John's and the cruise offered self explore St John's.

My opinion is take your ships self explore St John's if you are in Crown Bay. Usually $38pp. Boats picks you up bear the dock and takes you to St John's. When you get to St Johns there will be Open air cabs to take you to the beaches. Just get back to the dock at the time needed and the boat will take you back to Crown. It is about a 45 min boat ride each way. No worry about traffic and the ship won't leave you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to St Johns 3 times from both Crown Bay And Havenight. We have taken both the cab to Red hook and the ferry to St John's and the cruise offered self explore St John's.

My opinion is take your ships self explore St John's if you are in Crown Bay. Usually $38pp. Boats picks you up bear the dock and takes you to St John's. When you get to St Johns there will be Open air cabs to take you to the beaches. Just get back to the dock at the time needed and the boat will take you back to Crown. It is about a 45 min boat ride each way. No worry about traffic and the ship won't leave you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How much actual beach time do you get? I've heard the ferry on the tour is very bumpy and people have gotten sick:/

We usually spend about 2 hours at the beach. Have about another 2 hours eating, shopping & walking around.

If the seas are rough on the ferry near the cruise ship would they substitute the Red Hook ferry instead? Also is the cost of the transportation to the beach, after the ferry, included in the excursion fee?

We would always opt for the Red Hook ferry whether docked at Havensight or Crown. The travel time is similar, the cost from Havensight is $48pp round trip (a little more from Crown), and you don't have to deal with the rougher ferry ride from the port. Also just more fun going on your own and meeting others doing the same. The ferries depart both Red Hook and Cruz Bay, STJ every hour on the hour and are very reliable. So this is a very easy and safe self-excursion. Just plan on taking the return ferry from Cruz Bay 2 - 3 hours before your ship sails.

Twingles3 I should have added that the ship excursion from Crown is not a bad idea and is an easier option for you being in port just 8 hrs. It can indeed be a rougher ride but shouldn't be that bad. We and others just prefer the Red Hook option for the independent travel and that's just our opinion. You would probably be at the beach at 12:30 and would need to leave the beach no later than 4:30 (4 hrs beach time) and take the 5PM return through Red Hook. So that sounds similar to what others are saying from Crown...