Maui excursions

lbfluffy

Our ship tenders in Hawaii. Is it wise to choose a ship excursion at this port? We usually book outside agencies. However this is our first time to Hawaii so I am just trying to make sure I make the right choices. Thanks.

Your ship tenders to Lahaina, Maui? Because it won't tender in all ports in Hawaii.

The first thing to decide is what you want to do. That will determine if you use the ship's excursion or not. Lahaina is very walkable. As discussed here frequently, a very good beach (Ka'anapali) is a taxi or shuttle away. Luaus are walkable, or a short taxi away.

Don't put the cart before the horse. Decide what you want to do first.

Agreed! Get a guidebook on Hawaii, figure out WHAT you want to do...and the guidebook will even help with the "how to"...

If you have enough time, rental cars are the best way to do things! Driving is pretty easy, and you can be on your own timetable.

I meant Lahaina. I will see how far the car rentals are. I like the idea of snorkeling. And I plan to buy some guidebooks

As CruiserBruce recommended, Ka'anapali Beach is only 4 miles from Lahaina Harbor & about a $15 one-way cab ride. I think that's a better optIon than the hourly bus that goes to Whalers Village in the middle of Ka'anapali Beach & is about a 10-15 walk to snorkeling. Car rental agencies are near Ka'anapali Beach & with their limited inventory will generally be more expensive than in Kahului which is 45 minutes away.

On the north end of Ka'anapali Beach by the Sheraton hotel is the closest good snorkeling at Black Rock. It's a lava point that can provide good snorkeling when the conditions are good. However heed the warning flags & if red or red/yellow wouldn't recommend going into the water. The current can be very strong in bad conditions but on good days it's the best snorkeling near Lahaina.

There is a public bus that is about a 5 minute walk from Lahaina Harbor where your tender takes you. With a ship in port it could be crowded & you could possibly miss the bus which only goes hourly. The bus departs from the back of the Wharf Cinema Center which is across from the large banyan tree adjacent to the harbor.

Here's some information on the bus ($2 one-way) but I'd recommend taking a cab instead.

http://www.mauicounty.gov/605/Bus-Service-Information

Here's a link to Lahaina which includes an aerial overview of the town:

http://lahainatown.com/lahaina-harbor-map.php

You can search online for historical information on the easily walkable town of Lahaina which was the capital of the Hawaiian monarchy & the whaling center of the Pacific.

As CruiserBruce recommended, Ka'anapali Beach is only 4 miles from Lahaina Harbor & about a $15 one-way cab ride. I think that's a better optIon than the hourly bus that goes to Whalers Village in the middle of Ka'anapali Beach & is about a 10-15 walk to snorkeling. Car rental agencies are near Ka'anapali Beach & with their limited inventory will generally be more expensive than in Kahului which is 45 minutes away.

On the north end of Ka'anapali Beach by the Sheraton hotel is the closest good snorkeling at Black Rock. It's a lava point that can provide good snorkeling when the conditions are good. However heed the warning flags & if red or red/yellow wouldn't recommend going into the water. The current can be very strong in bad conditions but on good days it's the best snorkeling near Lahaina.

There is a public bus that is about a 5 minute walk from Lahaina Harbor where your tender takes you. With a ship in port it could be crowded & you could possibly miss the bus which only goes hourly. The bus departs from the back of the Wharf Cinema Center which is across from the large banyan tree adjacent to the harbor.

Here's some information on the bus ($2 one-way) but I'd recommend taking a cab instead.

http://www.mauicounty.gov/605/Bus-Service-Information

Here's a link to Lahaina which includes an aerial overview of the town:

http://lahainatown.com/lahaina-harbor-map.php

You can search online for historical information on the easily walkable town of Lahaina which was the capital of the Hawaiian monarchy & the whaling center of the Pacific.

Wow you are so helpful. Thank you.

I think I'll check into some of the snorkeling sailing excursions.

Any recommendations

Edited by lbfluffy

Wow you are so helpful. Thank you.

I think I'll check into some of the snorkeling sailing excursions.

Any recommendations

You're welcome...Maui & cruises are a couple of my favorite experiences. :)

All of my boat trips have been scuba diving trips so I don't have any snorkeling boat experiences. Looking at the guidebook that I use the best large boat is Four Winds II ($89) however that's in Ma'alaea which is about 15 minutes from Lahaina. The top rated trip near Lahaina is Hula Girl ($89 but food cost extra) sailing from Ka'anapali. I've also read many good things about Trilogy but it's quite expensive...$189. All of those prices were current when the latest edition of the guidebook was published.

The problem with arriving for the day on a cruise is that most boat trips depart before you could get off the ship. There's a good reason why afternoon trips are less expensive because our afternoon tradewinds increase which can result in choppy seas & poorer water visibility.

Hello! We will be in a rental car on Maui. Can you snorkel from the beach here when the conditions are good? If so, is there a place there or nearby to rent snorkeling gear? Thanks!

Hello! We will be in a rental car on Maui. Can you snorkel from the beach here when the conditions are good? If so, is there a place there or nearby to rent snorkeling gear? Thanks!

Yes, as discussed here frequently, Ka'anapali beach is very popular for snorkeling.

Do a Google search for Boss Frogs. They rent snorkel gear in many locations in Hawaii. You should be able to rent on one island and return on another, allowing you to snorkel several places.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend to use the ship's excursion for Road to Hana the second day if you want to see it. That way, if they are running late to get back to the ship, they have to wait for your group. Also, you do not want to drive it yourself. We used the ship's excursion and it was great!

I highly recommend to use the ship's excursion for Road to Hana the second day if you want to see it. That way, if they are running late to get back to the ship, they have to wait for your group. Also, you do not want to drive it yourself. We used the ship's excursion and it was great!

I also recommend a tour of the Road to Hana. You can drive it yourself, but the driver will not see much due to the narrow, curve laden, road. If time allows, get a tour that goes all the way around.