Point and shoot or action camera

Rockster09

Hey guys!!!

I am about to head to a cruise pretty soon and I'm stuck on one thing the camera....I don't know if to get a simple point and shoot just to take simple pictures or get a GoPro or a xp120 from fujifilm...the action came is waterproof so for snorkeling it's great. My question is if it's worth the 250-400 dollar price tag for a go pro or should I just get a simple point and shoot.

I have a GoPro and a Panasonic Lumix that's a point and shoot but also waterproof. I use it for all of my underwater pictures and it does a fantastic job. (I also use a Canon Powershot and a Nikon DSLR for land pictures as well)

It's a great camera I recommend that's fairly inexpensive. https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728ZC1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488752278&sr=8-1&keywords=lumix+dc+vario

I have a GoPro and a Panasonic Lumix that's a point and shoot but also waterproof. I use it for all of my underwater pictures and it does a fantastic job. (I also use a Canon Powershot and a Nikon DSLR for land pictures as well)

It's a great camera I recommend that's fairly inexpensive. https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728ZC1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488752278&sr=8-1&keywords=lumix+dc+vario

I have the Panasonic Lumix also. Love it.

Do you think the Panasonic will be good for snorkeling?

As far as picture quality, if you have a fairly new cell phone it will take pictures as good as any low priced point-and-shoot. My guess is you'd also be carrying the cellphone with you most places.

If you were a photog, I'd suggest a higher end point-and-shoot for awesome still shots, but you also wouldn't be asking if you were a photog.

So, I'd say the GoPro probably gives you more flexibility and if you really like snorkeling you can get some awesome video and shots with a really simple wrist mount for it. As another poster said, the new 5 black is awesome, but you can find good deals on some of the older versions which do more than enough for a hobby user. For 400, you can get the GoPro, a couple of extra batteries, a case and some accessories for your trip (wrist mount for snorkeling specifically).

Enjoy your cruise!

Panasonic might be the better choice for you. GoPro's don't have a zoom lens, and don't have a flash. I have the Hero 3 and upgraded to the new one in December. Our snorkeling photos and videos are great, but having a rugged knock around camera for land and water use like the Panasonic might suit you better.

Take a look at the Olympus Tough series too. My wife has one and that's her everyday camera.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Olympus Tough series camera worked well for us underwater and on land... that's what DH uses he loves it. I use a dslr and it's kind of cool to see each other's photos when we get home, the same place but all our photos were so different.

Happy cruising!

Hey guys!!!

I am about to head to a cruise pretty soon and I'm stuck on one thing the camera....I don't know if to get a simple point and shoot just to take simple pictures or get a GoPro or a xp120 from fujifilm...the action came is waterproof so for snorkeling it's great. My question is if it's worth the 250-400 dollar price tag for a go pro or should I just get a simple point and shoot.

I am an avid photographer. I use a Nikon DSLR with numerous lenses.

Last year I decided to get a waterproof camera for my snorkeling and jet ski excursions. I purchased

a Nikon Coolpix AW 130. Turns out to be a fantastic camera.

On my next cruise, I will leave all of the camera equipment home and just take the Coolpix for everything.