2017 weather

Baddabing

Just wondering for you West Coasters. We are on the east coast and will be going west, close to Memorial weekend. Cruising from Seattle to inside passage of Alaska. End of May weather is usually nice but seeing lots of rain lately. Is this normal for this time of the year and does it clear up by May?

Just wondering for you West Coasters. We are on the east coast and will be going west, close to Memorial weekend. Cruising from Seattle to inside passage of Alaska. End of May weather is usually nice but seeing lots of rain lately. Is this normal for this time of the year and does it clear up by May?

Seattle's weather tends to improve after the 4th of July. Prior to the fourth it may be raining and cooler. Seattle is still very exploreable even in the rain. Like Alaska, just bring layers.

Yes, this is a rainy time of the yr...

Weather forecasts in the Pacific NW are only reliable a day or 2 out, and even then, not always. The mountains and ocean create their own weather patterns.

The end of May has been sunny and 75, and its been 45 and stormy. No way to predict what you will get.

Use the historical data on a weather site to get an idea of the range to expect. Just plug in the town and your date, and look back at 6 or 7 yrs. Only takes a few minutes:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/

Yes, our winter and spring (so far), wetter and colder than normal (thanks la nina). Who knows what May will bring? ! And the standard joke here is that summer starts after the fourth of July.....I am cruising this year at the end of May as well, will monitor weather reports just before I pack, and always bring layers anyway, and am planning on enjoying my vacation rain or shine, have a great cruise, AK is beautiful in any weather.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, I was wondering what to expect too. I was debating between late June or a couple dates in July. I'm getting pissed that some of the sail dates jumped like $500 in the past few weeks. Seems like I need to book now for one of the weeks that's still reasonable or wait for next year.

Yes, our winter and spring (so far), wetter and colder than normal (thanks la nina). Who knows what May will bring? ! And the standard joke here is that summer starts after the fourth of July.....I am cruising this year at the end of May as well, will monitor weather reports just before I pack, and always bring layers anyway, and am planning on enjoying my vacation rain or shine, have a great cruise, AK is beautiful in any weather.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Normally the end of May has been great weather for the inside passage. But this year I've noticed more rain than normal on the PNW coast. That's my concern. I will have layers and rain gear but have concerns on the cameras and also the use of the balcony on the ship in the rain.

We are in Seattle on 29/30/31 July. What is the weather normally like in Seattle at that time - is it t-shirt weather?

Typically it will be warmer mid to high 70's and sunny. You still could run into a rainy day, but they are fewer that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For an idea of historic day by day averages (which in these days of erratic weather everywhere you can take with a grain of salt) go to Accuweather.com and enter the city and pull up the month by month calendar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Typically it will be warmer mid to high 70's and sunny. You still could run into a rainy day, but they are fewer that time of year.

What about at night in late July? If I book this, it'll be Princess, and I'm hoping to check out the "movies under the stars" in the evenings.

Late July is usually pretty nice because it is close to the first weekend in August when Seattle's Seafair occurs. I has been set for then for many years - all my almost 62 years since Mom had to wait for the hydroplane races to finish to go into labor ;) - because that period is the driest statistically. I remember many a blistering sunburn watching the races as a kid.

May on the other hand is typified by cool sunny intervals interspersed by brief heavy showers when strong solar heating brews up small storms into the still cool upper air. Especially in the convergence zone north of Seattle. With sun and showers May is rainbow month.