Maasdam or Veendam (Canada/New England)

greenfroggie

I know there was an old thread on this but I was encouraged to make a new one.

The itinerary is the same - Boston to Montreal, timing is the same. If you were to choose between the two ships, which would you go for?

The old thread preferred the Maasdam, but it was from 2012. A lot can change in 5 years. Are the ships still clean/service good?

We'd be taking our toddler who will be about 2 if that matters.

We did 66 days on the Maasdam last fall and 35 days on the Veendam in the summer of 2015. Both ships are great. They are sister ships with the main physical difference being that the Veendam has the Lani cabins and the aft pool was removed and replaced with 4 hot tubs in a raised area. For this cruise the pool is not really an issue. The crew on both was excellent and I think that is really influenced by the Captain and Hotel Director that are on board during the cruise more than the ship. I would pick which ever best meets your schedule.

We are booked on the Veendam for this cruise from Montreal to FLL in Oct 2017.

Which ever you pick enjoy:D

We have done the HAL Montreal-to-Boston itinerary twice, once on ms Maasdam and once on ms Veendam. The only significant difference between the 2 (that I can recall off the top of my head) is that Maasdam had a Mongolian grill by the Lido pool and Veendam did not. Otherwise, for me, there was not enough of a difference between the 2 ships to matter.

Smooth sailing ...

Maasdam, hands down. First, it is easier to get to/from Montreal than Quebec City, due to flights.

Second, the Maasdam has fewer lanai cabins than the Veendam, which means there is more Lower Promenade seating for those not in a Lanai.

Third, the Maasdam still has an aft pool. This means kids and adults don't have to share a pool. It also means that you can sit on Lido aft and look out and enjoy the view on the Maasdam; the view is blocked by the raised hot tubs on the Veendam.

Fourth, the Maasdam just still feels more gracious because it hasn't been butchered up.

Fifth, the Veendam has consistent A/C problems in certain areas. If your cabin is in one of these areas, you could have trouble sleeping.

First, it is easier to get to/from Montreal than Quebec City, due to flights.

The air draft was changed for last year's NE Canada season to allow the Veendam to travel through to Montreal. It no longer overnights in Quebec City.

The air draft was changed for last year's NE Canada season to allow the Veendam to travel through to Montreal. It no longer overnights in Quebec City.

Oh, that's good to know! I hadn't realized the change in itinerary.

Thank you so much for clearing that up.

But the rest of what I said still holds. ;)

I know there was an old thread on this but I was encouraged to make a new one.

The itinerary is the same - Boston to Montreal, timing is the same. If you were to choose between the two ships, which would you go for?

The old thread preferred the Maasdam, but it was from 2012. A lot can change in 5 years. Are the ships still clean/service good?

We'd be taking our toddler who will be about 2 if that matters.

Greenfroggie

If you choose the Maasdam, be sure to join us for the meet and greet just after sailaway in the Explorers Lounge 4:45 to 5:45pm.