Duck pate canned or foie gras in NIce, France

suginana503

Hi everyone,

Where can I buy fine duck pate canned or foie gras in NIce? Any brands recommend?

Please help! thanks.....

Epicerie fine Comtesse du Barry

6, avenue de Suède

06000 Nice FRANCE

https://www.comtessedubarry.com/storelocator/view/detail/id/6/#

They have both goose and duck foie gras and a variety of pates.

You can also find it at a few small stores and even supermarket chains (yes, you are in France), but Comtesse du Barry will have the best selection and best quality.

Epicerie fine Comtesse du Barry

6, avenue de Suède

06000 Nice FRANCE

https://www.comtessedubarry.com/storelocator/view/detail/id/6/#

They have both goose and duck foie gras and a variety of pates.

You can also find it at a few small stores and even supermarket chains (yes, you are in France), but Comtesse du Barry will have the best selection and best quality.

Marazul I am wondering what brands you might recommend? We are planning to catch the Paris to Barcelona train prior to our cruise next year and I am thinking maybe a canned foie gras maybe safer to use in our planned picnic on the train. Chairsin inspired me to do this train trip, as she had done this a few years ago and loved the experience.

Julie

There are many brands. The best way is to look for the association logos of "Oie de Perigord" or "IGP Canard de Perigord." They are black and white with the silhouette of a goose or duck in white and the name "Perigord" on a red banner. It is as close to an appelation controlee of foie gras as there is.

I would look for smaller producers such as Requier or Vidal. Reflets de France or Comtesse du Barry are more of national brands. In Paris you have many options. Fauchon has its own brand. You can find a good variety at the food halls of Galleries Lafayette (Hausmann) or at La Grande Epicerie.

There are many brands. The best way is to look for the association logos of "Oie de Perigord" or "IGP Canard de Perigord." They are black and white with the silhouette of a goose or duck in white and the name "Perigord" on a red banner. It is as close to an appelation controlee of foie gras as there is.

I would look for smaller producers such as Requier or Vidal. Reflets de France or Comtesse du Barry are more of national brands. In Paris you have many options. Fauchon has its own brand. You can find a good variety at the food halls of Galleries Lafayette (Hausmann) or at La Grande Epicerie.

Thanks marazul for your help. I have copied and pasted it to my Paris file........nothing like starting 15 months in advance.;)

Suginana503 I hope you enjoy your cruise and your Pate...........marazul is a wonderful source of information for Europe.

Julie

As marazul indicated, foie gras is from Southwest France (it is also produced in Alsace), not from Nice/Provence. But you can find the major brands anywhere in France. I second the advice to try smaller producers, but looking for particular small brands in Nice is not the best use of your time and energy. I'm sure Fauchon and Comtesse du Barry are fine quality-wise, but they are "airport brands" if you know what I mean. There are other large brands like Delpeyrat and Larnaudie that are widely available and more reasonably priced. Even a supermarket brand can be good (Reflets de France is Carrefour's high-end selection, or if you find a Monoprix, look for Monoprix Gourmet). Whatever you do, look carefully at the label and make sure it says "Canard du Sud-Ouest" or some other regional label, otherwise you are buying low quality foie gras from Eastern Europe. (They produce good foie gras in Eastern Europe, but this isn't it.)

Thank you Hawkeyetlse. It helps to get this sort of information from people who live in the country or visit there a lot.

Julie

Hawkeyetise - thanks for the additional info. Note that there were two questions about shopping in two different cities.

suginana will be in Nice. The easiest place to buy is Comtesse du Barry because it is easy to find and centrally located. And good quality. Any other shopping would require transportation and knowing where to go. Also, it will be more widely available in more stores at Christmas time than during the summer months.

frantic will be in Paris and that is a different story. Just about anything is available and places like the Galleries Lafayette will have a large selection and it will even be one of the sightseeing attractions. (Check out the glass dome if you haven't already.)

Yes, check for the Perigord or Sud-Ouest producer association labels. The national brands may or may not carry them, but look at the small print and it will tell you where it comes from. By the way, we have had some really good foie gras while in Hungary, but Perigord is best.

• 4 weeks later...