cameras...binoculars..and what about GoPro?

katfer

Looking for camera and binoculars for Alaska. What did you get and where? Will my I phone and I Pad be enough? Nothing expensive..but still adequate for those "once in a lifetime" moments. TIA!

Looking for camera and binoculars for Alaska. What did you get and where? Will my I phone and I Pad be enough? Nothing expensive..but still adequate for those "once in a lifetime" moments. TIA!

First of all with regard to the GoPro it seems to me that it's intended for photographing some activity that the person the camera is attached to is engaging in. So if you're going to go sea kayaking or hike on a glacier there's a place for the GoPro in your luggage. It doesn't seem all that useful with regard to photographing glaciers at a distance, pods of whales, etc.

With regard to the iPad for me personally I cannot see going on what could very well be a once-in-a-lifetime thing relying on tablet or phone to record the images. Sure it'll do the trick in the moment and it's better than nothing but even the rather decent camera I brought with me to Egypt produced photos that now 16 years later just don't stand up to the expectation of quality. I fear that if I relied on my phone or my tablet that in the end that's the way I'd feel 16 years from now about photos I take in Alaska next year.

The camera we acquired ostensibly for our trip to Alaska was a mid-range priced superzoom. I figured a lot of what I'll be taking photographs of will be quite far away from where I am, and after practicing with the superzoom this past week on another vacation I feel much more comfortable in the ability of this camera to do a really good job capturing images from pretty far away.

As you can well imagine we had a choice of spending $500 or $250. I have no illusions that the $250 camera is going to produce the same kind of quality that I could have got from the $500 camera but I made a value decision to go with the $250 camera. Full disclosure: I bought the Nikon B500. However, I bought it based on my assessment of expert reviews, not based on any expertise I myself possess.

I don't have any suggestions with regard to binoculars except to say that I remember reading some advice about the specs that were needed and finding out that the very best binoculars generally have specs of a far beyond those that are recommended for Alaska. The binoculars that we have available to us right now happen satisfy those specs so we're not buying anything new.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You need something better than an iPhone or iPad. Try to get something with a good optical zoom.

The reason I say this is why I first started cruising to Alaska (a long time ago), my digital camera only had a 4x optical zoom. I have a picture at Exit glacier of a bear. When I show my friends, I have to point out that it is the brown spot in the picture :). Not if I had a 30x optical zoom, I am guessing I wouldn't have to point out the bear to people. :)

Yes to binoculars. I wouldn't spend too much on it.

When we went to the Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountains a year ago, we purchased a good superzoom camera so we could get shots on mountains far away. Love, love the zoom. We got a Sony DSC HX400 and it has a 50x optical zoom and 20MP so got some great detailed pictures. Looking forward to using it this June in Alaska! 85 DAYS!

For binoculars, I always recommend getting one that is wide angle. For me, it makes it easier to find what I want to look at and to stay on it.

Check stores selling outdoor gear. Try a couple of pairs to see if they are comfortable to use.

And don't get anything too heavy.

You should be able to get a decent pair for under $100. I paid $70 for mine and have used it in Alaska several times plus wildlife viewing around the world.

Wife got me a new "travel" camera for Christmas just for our Alaska cruise this coming September - a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50. Fits in a pocket, 30X optical zoom and a nice electronic view finder.

We are planning on getting some 10x50 binoculars from Harbor Freight. Have used a friend's and they were nice - comes with a case and a rubberized coating but hope they won't be too heavy!

Would never use an iPhone or iPad. They are great for some things, but not a once in a lifetime trip.....

First reply got blown away by the dreaded Captcha test. CC really MUST get rid of this nuisance. I hate having to re-type posts. Now have to get back in habit of copying all posts to clipboard or notepad before submitting. :mad:

I'm just inches from pulling the trigger on a pair of Nikon 16026 7x50 CF WP Global Compass Binoculars for $249 - probably from Amazon. Very well reviewed and a nice compromise between the Ziess 7X50 I would like (but are $900) and a cheap pair of Bushnell binoculars. Nikon has a reputation for quality optics and these are fully coated and waterproof.

Looked at GoPro and decided it was not a fit for us and we will do video on our Nikon DSLR so it can do double duty. Otherwise our Samsung Galaxy S6 phone takes surprisingly great pictures and video and when we have free WiFi we can dump to the cloud storage.

I agree with the posters who suggested getting a super-zoom camera. I bought a Canon SX50 for our Alaska cruise in 2014 and loved having the 50x zoom for wildlife. I got photos I would have never been able to capture with an iPhone. (I believe this model has been replaced by the SX60 now.)

The camera also has a burst mode that I used for photographs on our whale watching tour. (Google+ turned this series of photos into sort of an animation! :D)

80FQhyGMbsyavTRv5ftvUt4hSp6ufn3Aya6AdYa_v3flPz82uiY5CQmn7Fl9babtyt7vPmJDM07gu4SkGyQL7gmScuWul3wabvDslT5V6uQCX6wyvfhGRd-9tSpVOI59E1fCC-V9aORRAqaRnbkhSVRWeIa-Nf4IkmzDY_SGn8-gOcI7MCkEm4oENnLWuyua3o7nODasqglDljjHC0_0iF1u8WAoW3BEu8JXo0D1rusDL2_aq8K0pK7OD8CekG0fBqVQbje8Qajyng6fGF0GsiTCP1W9NIee-Kk_TaFSxdXun7V0UB9D1KHGZLDC1S9-iLbXkSbBftI1U3E3xc6GN-CA7jAGpf8r5zPEErH7RWwKgw6H5Bx4P6QYE5TASo4mjurZnGW_YDcCbcx6ZaVTZRsf8ClPjjTUOoncFdXe6PnjhjPIrT_Z_tZfTSRkdQYYHG8KuGWu0aQAxoze8UC63U-lliCuyaWYAkBA6JNuH3p0qku2afeE4faCvWewcoB87yUFOyX-lQpjHEpamU9HPQsILCFtrdySCTFIgshZwjy2qYsTu457LZRNsLcerr-9hFKLKBA1aD44kfPTGgmfAjAN6CAvBskSk7vr_6h7yfjaofESmp3TWSTZ76PvvLpOO-R_c8QmMQ=w478-h318-no

Although the camera is no substitute for a good pair of binoculars, I found myself just using the view finder as my "binoculars" rather than switching back and forth between the two pieces of gear.

Most camera stores will rent cameras and/or lenses, much cheaper and you will have GREAT pictures with not a lot of money into it. Vortex optics are in my opinion the best Binoculars you can buy on the lower end of the price range $500 and below, try Amazon for best prices

We really like our Sony DSC-HX300 (400 is the newer model) for shots quite a distance away with not a lot of movement like bears in a distance or glaciers. I say forget the ipad as it is to big. One of the best shots we have of a whale breach is from grand-sons iPhone on video when the captain told us when and where to look. It is one or two frames of the video. I was fiddling with my zoom and missed the whole thing in a blink of an eye. I also say don't bother with binoculars just use the camera or the camera plus one pair if not two cameras or if on whale watch use the tour companies.

sightcrr

We really like our Sony DSC-HX300 (400 is the newer model) for shots quite a distance away with not a lot of movement like bears in a distance or glaciers. I say forget the ipad as it is to big. One of the best shots we have of a whale breach is from grand-sons iPhone on video when the captain told us when and where to look. It is one or two frames of the video. I was fiddling with my zoom and missed the whole thing in a blink of an eye. I also say don't bother with binoculars just use the camera or the camera plus one pair if not two cameras or if on whale watch use the tour companies.

sightcrr

Hey thanks.....still in thinking mode......what about a point and shoot...does anyone know about those? Do they have a zoom...will look on Amazon..We're going on a whale watching tour with Glacial Winds ..and I don't want to miss that "once in a lifetime whale breech in front of me"

Hey thanks.....still in thinking mode......what about a point and shoot...does anyone know about those? Do they have a zoom...will look on Amazon..We're going on a whale watching tour with Glacial Winds ..and I don't want to miss that "once in a lifetime whale breech in front of me"

Realize that unless it is a DSLR camera - there is a delay in taking a picture. Usually not an issue but for whale watching, it is. I have still gotten good pictures whale watching with out one those with Digital SLR got better pictures. They are quite a bit more and larger.

Wife got me a new "travel" camera for Christmas just for our Alaska cruise this coming September - a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50. Fits in a pocket, 30X optical zoom and a nice electronic view finder.

I bought a Lumix DMC-FZ70 with a 60x optical zoom this past year and love it. I have never bought Lumix but the reviews were great and they were on clearance. Though - I wanted a real viewfinder and this camera definitely does not fit in my pocket.

I agree with the posters who suggested getting a super-zoom camera. I bought a Canon SX50 for our Alaska cruise in 2014 and loved having the 50x zoom for wildlife. I got photos I would have never been able to capture with an iPhone. (I believe this model has been replaced by the SX60 now.)

The camera also has a burst mode that I used for photographs on our whale watching tour. (Google+ turned this series of photos into sort of an animation! :D)

80FQhyGMbsyavTRv5ftvUt4hSp6ufn3Aya6AdYa_v3flPz82uiY5CQmn7Fl9babtyt7vPmJDM07gu4SkGyQL7gmScuWul3wabvDslT5V6uQCX6wyvfhGRd-9tSpVOI59E1fCC-V9aORRAqaRnbkhSVRWeIa-Nf4IkmzDY_SGn8-gOcI7MCkEm4oENnLWuyua3o7nODasqglDljjHC0_0iF1u8WAoW3BEu8JXo0D1rusDL2_aq8K0pK7OD8CekG0fBqVQbje8Qajyng6fGF0GsiTCP1W9NIee-Kk_TaFSxdXun7V0UB9D1KHGZLDC1S9-iLbXkSbBftI1U3E3xc6GN-CA7jAGpf8r5zPEErH7RWwKgw6H5Bx4P6QYE5TASo4mjurZnGW_YDcCbcx6ZaVTZRsf8ClPjjTUOoncFdXe6PnjhjPIrT_Z_tZfTSRkdQYYHG8KuGWu0aQAxoze8UC63U-lliCuyaWYAkBA6JNuH3p0qku2afeE4faCvWewcoB87yUFOyX-lQpjHEpamU9HPQsILCFtrdySCTFIgshZwjy2qYsTu457LZRNsLcerr-9hFKLKBA1aD44kfPTGgmfAjAN6CAvBskSk7vr_6h7yfjaofESmp3TWSTZ76PvvLpOO-R_c8QmMQ=w478-h318-no

Although the camera is no substitute for a good pair of binoculars, I found myself just using the view finder as my "binoculars" rather than switching back and forth between the two pieces of gear.

How hard or easy is this camera to use? I wouldn't need to go to a camera class to operate it would I.

I want some easy to use.

Jimbo:)

How hard or easy is this camera to use? I wouldn't need to go to a camera class to operate it would I.

I want some easy to use.

Jimbo:)

Video mode is pretty easy, similar to phones. And the burst mode mentioned will help for whale watching if you don't have a DSLR.

I looked at the FZ70, SX50 hs and HX400 - they're all "Bridge" cameras - the cross between a Point & Shoot and a DSLR - they look a lot like the latter, too. Very easy to use as you can set it to simply point and shoot but also features if you want to do more.

I ultimately asked for the ZS50 because it uses the same 1/2.3" sensor as them and actually has the same functions including an excellent EVF but in a pocketable camera that actually shots in RAW. The only downside is that it has a 30X (720mm equivalent) zoom but that is still plenty for me.

Really wanted the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 or FZ300 for its f2.8 lens across the full focal length - better for low light and action shots. Just didn't want anything that large........

I looked at the FZ70, SX50 hs and HX400 - they're all "Bridge" cameras - the cross between a Point & Shoot and a DSLR - they look a lot like the latter, too. Very easy to use as you can set it to simply point and shoot but also features if you want to do more.

I ultimately asked for the ZS50 because it uses the same 1/2.3" sensor as them and actually has the same functions including an excellent EVF but in a pocketable camera that actually shots in RAW. The only downside is that it has a 30X (720mm equivalent) zoom but that is still plenty for me.

Really wanted the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 or FZ300 for its f2.8 lens across the full focal length - better for low light and action shots. Just didn't want anything that large........

I wanted the SX50 and also looked at FZ200 and FZ300 but was able to get the FZ70 for $170. I figured I couldn't go wrong. Yes, it is a Bridge. Except for it being larger than my previous camera, it is great.

I still want a small point and click with a viewfinder. My old camera broke and it is difficult to find small cameras with a viewfinder. I like that option when it is sunny and the LCD is hard to see.

I wanted the SX50 and also looked at FZ200 and FZ300 but was able to get the FZ70 for $170. I figured I couldn't go wrong. Yes, it is a Bridge. Except for it being larger than my previous camera, it is great.

I still want a small point and click with a viewfinder. My old camera broke and it is difficult to find small cameras with a viewfinder. I like that option when it is sunny and the LCD is hard to see.

Check out the ZS50! One of the few small P&S with a very usable EVF

And that's a great price for the FZ70! The FZ200, even though its five-years old is still running around $400-$500 - if you can find them!

Check out the ZS50! One of the few small P&S with a very usable EVF

And that's a great price for the FZ70! The FZ200, even though its five-years old is still running around $400-$500 - if you can find them!

Thank you! That wasn't out when I was looking. Though - I was also intrigued by the Bridge class. Of course, one needs more than 1 type of camera. When I bought it, I didn't know how large it was but knew it was larger than my previous one.

Yea - price on the FZ70 - I got it at Best Buy. I drove to the next city to get it as ours didn't have it in stock. I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I have to say I was leary of Lumix but so far, so good. And the reviews are amazing through out the years.

My friend that we cruised with to Alaska had the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 and I will readily admit her photos were sharper...especially in low light...than what I was able to get with my Canon SX50. The trade off was that her camera only had the 24x zoom and mine had the 50x. The FZ200 also had a few extra neat "features" such as being able to shoot a panoramic photo. I also liked the viewfinder on the Panasonic.

However the price on the Panasonic was higher so you just have to decide what is important to you...and are you willing to pay extra to get it!

For anyone considering purchasing a camera, check out the Cruise Critic Photo & Discussion board. Lots of information and advice!

Hey all..thanks once again for all your replies......but some of these abbreviations ... Have never used anything but a point and shoot...I did look up what Raw meant!...Here's what I'm looking for [there are so many..more I look the more confused I get!] Entry level ,easy to use, .. will take videos .. waterproof and with a great zoom !! Panoramic... The cherry on the top would be the ability to send to iPhone iPad and Mac easily..[i'm a nurse...I do that well..I can do some things on computer...so just saying....] If possible I'd like to stay around 200 dollars.. does anyone have any links? I just don't want to miss a whale breech or eagle flying over... fumbling around trying to focus......Thanks once again Kathie