TV Show "Travel Guides" on a cruise

Has anybody been watching this show? Tomorrow night's ep they are on the Pacific Aria. I was on that cruise with some friends, so will be interesting to see how they portray the ship, and how the 'characters' are in comparison to what we saw them being (or acting :) )

I have been watching it and am really looking forward to tonight's cruise episode. Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on it MadWoofter, there are certainly some interesting characters among the guides I'd love to hear how close they are to their real life personas!

Penny

I've caught the ones in Tokyo and Nha Trang (or some other Asian beach resort) and enjoyed them.

Certainly a diverse range of groups of people.

Thanks for the heads up on tonights episode.

I'll go and set to record so I don't miss it.

The episodes so far have been interesting with the broad spread of personalities chosen. It will be interesting to see what type of accommodation they set them up with ie internal, balcony suite etc

I must admit I haven't been watching this, as the first one I turned on was truly cringe-worthy. The program seems to promote the type of traveller who I spend a lot of time trying to avoid. Think I will pass on the cruise episode :)

I must admit I haven't been watching this, as the first one I turned on was truly cringe-worthy. The program seems to promote the type of traveller who I spend a lot of time trying to avoid. Think I will pass on the cruise episode :)

Agreed, there are more worthwhile shows to view or things to do than watch these characters go through their assessments of very subjective things during their travelling.

I absolutely despise the show. It was an absolute disgrace seeing Australians embarrass us on the world stage with their disgusting and racist antics towards the Japanese. The show was cringeworthy and you could clearly see the visibly uncomfortable locals in Japan that suffered from their childish behaviour. Examples include that dumb woman shaking hands with a hotel receptionist and then commenting on the size of her small hands. Who the hell does that!!!! The woman who did that would have to have serious mental health problems to be behaving like that in public without any regard as to how the person is feeling that she was patronising. Even more bizarre is who on earth shakes hands with a hotel receptionist. It is not formal and is totally disrespectful in Japan. Their culture does not shake hands, they bow.

In my opinion the show was nothing more than a disgusting display of bogans and common trash damaging our international reputation by continued racist and childish behaviour all for cheap slapstick television. I was absolutely disgusted with the show and totally ashamed to be Australian watching how these pieces of trash behaved. It was cringeworthy and screwed up beyond any possible chance of repair. The first episode was enough for me to deem this trash television fit for being flushed completely down the toilet.

Rant over. Disgusting show.

Watching now, balcony cabins and towel animals. The cabins look nice.

The guides are an "interesting" bunch.

They run into a storm, it looks pretty wild.

Some of them go to play bingo.

The first port is the Isle of Pines. Nice promo for them but mostly for the turtle excursion.

They dine in Angelos and Dragon Lady. Some of the guides haven't had a dining experience like that.

One couple, frequent floaters, aren't happy with anything.

Another couple, sort of hippyish, get into the swing of things and really seem to be enjoying all the experiences.

Lots of people seemed to get into the spirit of the Gatsby party

Next port stop is Lifou. They do a cultural tour including trying local food. Some of them aren't impressed.

Final port stop is at Mystery Island. Some of them went snorkelling. Oh dear!

Most of them enjoyed the cruise more than they expected.

The Frequent Floaters think it would be a good cruise for first time cruisers.

I didn't think it was the greatest advert for cruising, at least the style of cruising I like. I think I'll pass!

Not a show I'd ever bother watching again. :p

Nor me.

This show is full of morons or else people in training to be morons. If I came across any of these folks while on board, I'd be running away as fast as my legs would carry me.

I'm assuming that it is all a put up job, because (I hope) nobody is that pig ignorant.

That said, while the Aria is quite a nice ship, I would only sail on her again if the price was right.

I absolutely despise the show. It was an absolute disgrace seeing Australians embarrass us on the world stage with their disgusting and racist antics towards the Japanese. The show was cringeworthy and you could clearly see the visibly uncomfortable locals in Japan that suffered from their childish behaviour. Examples include that dumb woman shaking hands with a hotel receptionist and then commenting on the size of her small hands. Who the hell does that!!!! The woman who did that would have to have serious mental health problems to be behaving like that in public without any regard as to how the person is feeling that she was patronising. Even more bizarre is who on earth shakes hands with a hotel receptionist. It is not formal and is totally disrespectful in Japan. Their culture does not shake hands, they bow.

In my opinion the show was nothing more than a disgusting display of bogans and common trash damaging our international reputation by continued racist and childish behaviour all for cheap slapstick television. I was absolutely disgusted with the show and totally ashamed to be Australian watching how these pieces of trash behaved. It was cringeworthy and screwed up beyond any possible chance of repair. The first episode was enough for me to deem this trash television fit for being flushed completely down the toilet.

Rant over. Disgusting show.

Looking for the like button. Totally agree, this must be an act no one is that ignorant. Are they?

Someone just told me it is the same people (groups) on every show going on different holidays and having differing places and experiences. IMO, that makes the show even worse, must be a put up job catering for the lowest category of viewer. Certainly not my idea of entertainment.

Watched the show last night just out of curiosity. Seems like one big ad for P&O (for bogans). Only seemed to see the good bits of the ship - balcony cabins, free specialty dining etc. Didn't see any of the inside cabins, old bathrooms, the pigs at the buffet etc. Even the 'posh' couple were shown in a balcony cabin having a good time - surely putting them in an inside cabin next to something noisy would have been more entertaining ;)

Hmmm, not sure what to make of it. I haven't watched the other episodes, just flicked around but made a point of watching this out of curiosity :). I didn't realise there were so many 'teams' on board, we kept bumping into those three blonde women (who were loud, obnoxious, and very much "look at me" the entire time even when there wasn't a camera on them), the young hippy couple, and the Fren (?) family on Mystery Island. It was interesting at the end the young couple talked about all the friends they'd made, when we didn't see them intermingle with anyone while they were on board.

Also interesting was how much filming on board they did compared to what actually made it to air. They would have had hours of the young couple in the pool on the adult deck alone ! It seemed like everywhere you turned there was a camera crew, thank goodness they all got of in Noumea and we had a few days of peace.

There were quite a few disgruntled passengers on board, there was no pre-warning that filming was happening until we were on board, and it got to be quite disruptive. They didn't actually ask people to move out of the way (that I saw), but most people weren't going to walk through an obvious filming scene.

The trip over was quite rough and we were delayed getting into our first tender port, and of course the film crew had preferential tender treatment which annoyed people who were waiting to go ashore for a long time. I did hear a few comments about 'attitude' by the actors.

I don't think they did a great portrayal of the Aria itself, a few token shots of bars & the specialty restaurants, although the islands got a good review. As the posh older couple said, a good cruise for an introduction to cruising.

I've only been on a few cruises, a couple of which have been on P&O ships now, but I wouldn't go back unless the price was right. Saying that, if the price was right I'd probably go on Aria, I liked the smaller size, Dragon Lady was fantastic (Angelo's was very ordinary) and it had a nice atmosphere.

Thanks Madwoofter,

for writing a post about the filming onboard.

It would of indeed been a suprise to find a film crew on board that had the right of way over everybody else.

I wonder if the sister has found a single girl good looking enough for her brother yet?:D

Ah you have to see the funny side of things. ( I'm sure there were plenty of single girls good looking enough for him on the boat)

Madwoofter were all the rooms decorated as nicely as the one we saw?

It's been 7 years since I have been on P&O and the room I remember was very basic.