Celebrity Summit Cancels April 8, April 15 only 4 days.

mamaday

Two weeks before we were to leave for San Juan we received a call and email from our TA. The cruise on April 8 is cancelled because Celebrity needs to work on the ship. For the first time we booked a back to back. The April 15 sailing date our TA had no info about. I called the Captain's Club and found out the April 15 cruise is only for four days April 18-22. Great! I'm not flying all the way to San Juan for a four day cruise! We were excited for our 16 day vacation. Two days in San Juan followed by a 14 day cruise. If the ship is having problems then get it fixed. I don't want to have engine problems at sea. Now what to do with only two weeks notice?

Invoke trip insurance perhaps or ask your TA for all inclusive packages for Puerto Rico perhaps? Or other sailings from P.R. those same dates? So sorry this happened to you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I feel for you and all of us impacted by this. It's unfortunate. I also think that flying all the way to San Juan for a 4 night cruise is a bit crazy. I'll likely spend the 3 nights I was supposed to be on the cruise in San Juan - just hoping I can find a reasonably priced hotel. I'm trying to stay positive - just look around the world, things could be worse.

Just received the call from my TA

Thats crazy they refund the cruise + 25 % onboard credit for future cruise.

But the problem is the air plane tickets only giving 200 p/p for helping rebook a flight

So a big lost on that coming

This one hurts big time for us 😲😲

But the problem is the air plane tickets only giving 200 p/p for helping rebook a flight

This one hurts big time for us 😲😲

If you paid for your air with a credit card check to see if your card provides travel insurance as a benefit. Ours does and I didn't realize that until someone on CC mentioned their credit card perks included travel insurance. I checked and sure enough our does.

I was afraid this would happen when a poster noticed that Summit was stuck in Cozumel a few weeks back.

Those darn pods have bitten many a cruiser.

Something similar happened 2 days before our Infinity Hawaii cruise in 2003 and we were also on a back to back.

We purchased flight insurance but since there was nothing wrong with the flight we were denied compensation.

Celebrity however refunded our cruise fare and gave us two free cruises if we could commit to certain ships and dates!

We've been loyal Celebrity cruisers ever since.

If you paid for your air with a credit card check to see if your card provides travel insurance as a benefit. Ours does and I didn't realize that until someone on CC mentioned their credit card perks included travel insurance. I checked and sure enough our does.

Thanks for the feed I will call capitalone to see if so [emoji144]

Have you checked the schedule for Royal Caribbean? They usually sail a ship out of PR. You might be able to switch to the RC ship on the same weeks, or for week 1, then a couple of days in a hotel, followed by the 4 night Summit cruise.

I am sorry about your cancelation; what a bummer for you. However, I hope you can cruise RCCL or find a way to work things out one way or the other.

We always have to worry about my dad and how he is doing. For our upcoming cruise, our insurance was $1,100 and now his surgery was postponed another week. It is always something...good luck with your endeavors and I hope you can find a way to enjoy those 16+ days that you have been so looking forward to...sending positive thoughts your way!!!

S

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This one hurts big time for us ����

The $200 pp is a change fee that the airlines charge for you to change your flight dates. You can use your ticket credit up to a year from the time you purchased your tickets for any flight that you want. If the future flight cost more, use your credit toward that flight. So sorry this has happened to you. :(

I was afraid this would happen when a poster noticed that Summit was stuck in Cozumel a few weeks back.

Something similar happened 2 days before our Infinity Hawaii cruise in 2003 and we were also on a back to back.

We purchased flight insurance but since there was nothing wrong with the flight we were denied compensation.

Celebrity however refunded our cruise fare and gave us two free cruises if we could commit to certain ships and dates!

Been awhile since this happened, years ago it seems like one of the M class ships was out of service every month. Curious if it's the same problem.

We're on the 4/1 sailing, why is the cruise before us and after us affected but not ours? We,re getting a lil stressed

The drydock for the repair is probably scheduled in the Bahamas. That's where they scheduled a drydock for the Millennium when it got stuck in Ketchikan a couple of years ago with the same problem. If I remember correctly, the replacement pod came from somewhere in Europe - over the Atlantic - and met the ship in the Bahamas.

The drydock for the repair is probably scheduled in the Bahamas. That's where they scheduled a drydock for the Millennium when it got stuck in Ketchikan a couple of years ago with the same problem. If I remember correctly, the replacement pod came from somewhere in Europe - over the Atlantic - and met the ship in the Bahamas.

I hope that is the case, sorry for everyone else who's plans were affected by this. :( Someone posted on our roll call that pur sailing date will be shortened so they can have a full 2 week dry dock. Hope that's just a rumor :mad:

Back in 2001, we were scheduled to sail on the Summit for 11 days. About a month before, we were notified (byCruiseCritic,not our TA) that the cruise before us was cancelled. Our cruise lost the first 4 days. Luckily, we were sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. We flew in as scheduled and cruised on land with members of our roll call before we got on the ship. We got half our money back. I wish you good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Wow....small world! We, too, we're booked on the Ensenada-Honolulu sailing back in 2003. I remember reading about the cancellation here on Cruise Critic from members who were on the Panama Canal cruise that got stuck in Acapulco because of the engine problem. I got on the phone to Celebrity the next morning and had our replacement cruise booked before our TA had even been notified! But, yes, Celebrity took good care of us and made lemonade out of lemons.

So sorry this has happened again to the affected Summit cruisers. I hope everyone is able to make alternate arrangements that are beyond satisfactory.

The credit card insurance (if any) might not apply if the cruise was not also charged to the same credit card.

Credit cards do not usually pay out if there were no problems with what was actually charged to their cards.

We were originally scheduled to be on the Summit for the 4/15 sailing. We are traveling with my in laws and MIL had a work conflict so we changed to RC JotS leaving this Sunday. We've been grumbling for months about having to change. Suddenly I'm glad we did. Sorry to everyone effected.

We were also on the Summit cruise on 8 April. We were flying from London to New York for a couple of nights and then heading down to Puerto Rico for an overnighter before boarding the ship. We also had three nights planned after the cruise at the San Juan Marriott right on the beach. It is very disappointing but after the events in London two days ago it just put everything into perspective for us .

I did have two rooms reserved on the Jewel of the Seas with Royal Caribbean travelling the following day, but we have decided not to take them so they may still be available if anybody wants to try. They were ocean view rooms but that was all they had left.

I hope everybody finds an alternative holiday that suits them. We are now looking for an all-inclusive 10 night holiday in the Caribbean but we are not having a lot of luck finding anything !

I cannot imagine that happening. Yes things happen and ya insurance blah blah blah but this royally sucks for everyone, even Celebrity who is losing a lot of revenue on this one. I really feel for you on this one, I would be so sad, but if I could get my money back (maybe you already have) from Celebrity fast enough I'd be booking with the competition or actually maybe book a Royal ship out of San Juan and use the 25% on that? I'd be so hyped to go that I would hate to be sitting with 2 weeks going nowhere.

Sucks!