First time cruise traveler and super confused!

paqua

Soe we are going to be an extended family of 8 adults and kids traveling on cruise for the first time. We are interested in the itinerary of Greek islands in July or August 2016 for 7 nights but just cannot decide which cruise liner should we choose. Desperate for some sound advise.

Pick the ship that goes to the places you want to see! On this type of cruise, the ship is more transportation, than the destination!

Agree about picking the itinerary. Especially for a first timer.

But for many the ship IS the destination.

Agree about picking the itinerary. Especially for a first timer.

But for many the ship IS the destination.

OR both. Certainly itinerary is important. But many folks want to finish a day of touring by returning to first class accommodations, fine food and excellent service.

OR both. Certainly itinerary is important. But many folks want to finish a day of touring by returning to first class accommodations, fine food and excellent service.

For us the ship has pretty much become the destination most of the time.

But I think for a first timer an itinerary they like, on a line (not necessarily a specific ship) that suits their demographics is the way to go.

Just my 2cents.

Here is my two cents.

The Greek Islands are beautiful and on many of the ports, the activities and excursions are not kids orientated. Please correct me. When my cousin returned from their Greek Islands / Turkey cruise, he kept referring to "Being ruined from seeing so many ruins."

I would choose a cruise line that has a lot to offer kids when they return to the ship. And for this I would choose Royal Caribbean first.

Being that this is your first cruise, I am sure you will have a great time on any ship.

JMHO

While itinerary is obviously important, picking the right cruise line is absolutely fundamental and will determine whether you will become a regular cruiser or just give up on your first one.

Without getting into the merit of what pleases whom, I have several friends who thought they absolutely did not mind about the ship and ended up hating cruising and never went back due to their experience.

Consider your budget and what kind of demographics you are looking for.

If you like party cruises, you will probably enjoy Carnival/RCCL. However, if you like more upscale, you may want to go for Celebrity or above. The most luxurious ones are not very suitable for kids.

If you want something directed towards kids, you can't go wrong with Disney. Their product is really amazing and most parents/grandparents enjoy it as much as kids do.

First I would go by the Itinerary.

If you have more the one cruise line to pick from, look what they offer.

(onboard Features, Kids Club, Entertainment etc)

I like Norwegian Cruise Line as they have that "Freestyle" concept. Means you don't have set times for Dinner etc.

I don't like to hurry once back from a day ashore or have to wait till 8:30pm to get something to eat.

Other cruise lines have the 2 times Dining in the Evening one at 6:30pm and the second one at 8:30pm.

If that is what you like don't choose Norwegian.

Are you interested in the destination or the ship? If you really want to see Greek Islands, I suggest Celestyal Crystal. 10 islands in 7 days. Budget cruise with great itinerary. I sailed them (when they were Louis Lines) on a much smaller, older ship. Six islands in four days. Accommodations were very basic, but food and service were terrific. Another option that would get you just Greece would be Sea Dream, but would cost ten times as much. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and plug in the ports you want to visit from the Destinations list. Or just start with Piraeus(Athens) as your departure port. It will show you who calls there or sails from there and their itineraries. I also suggest you choose July rather than August. Both months are the hottest in that part of the Med.,, possibly warmer than Bangkok, but August is the traditional vacation month for Europe, so sites will be even more crowded with European vacationers. EM

Thank you so much for all the replies.

Now i have gone thru all the information but obviously finding it very difficult to choose. We would also like the cruise ship be like a destination as well as we have infants and also our old parents who will stay put to enjoy the ship.

we have shortlisted similar itinerary cruise liners but cannot decide which one to choose.

1. Norwegian Jade - 7 nights

2. Royal Caribbean - jewel of the seas

3. Costa Delizoza - Greek islands

4. MSC Magnifica

We are basically 3 siblings with kids from age 3 to 10 and our old parents.

Please do help...

Thank you again.

Now i have gone thru all the information but obviously finding it very difficult to choose. We would also like the cruise ship be like a destination as well as we have infants and also our old parents who will stay put to enjoy the ship.

we have shortlisted similar itinerary cruise liners but cannot decide which one to choose.

4. MSC Magnifica

Please do help...

Thank you again.

Don't know about the other ships, but Royal's Jewel does have a kiddle pool area with slide.

4. MSC Magnifica

Please do help...

Thank you again.

I would have to choose Royal Caribbean Jewel. To be fair , I don't know much about the other ships on your list, but we have sailed 4 or 5 times on Jewel and it is one of our favorite ships. I wish you a wonderful family cruise what ever you choose!:)

4. MSC Magnifica

Please do help...

Thank you again.

Depends. My family enjoys freestyle, so we do NCL. Havent been on the Jade (YET!) but were on the Jewel last year. It has a kid pool and a slide, a top-notch kids club, and my kids (then 3 and 6) loved it so much that my 3 yo STILL wants to see "pictures of the boat!" and my 6 yo's "favorite vacation" is a cruise.

:)

Any ships on your short list are suitable for your cruise and needs.

Look at which itinerary you like best.

Keep in mind the time that each ship spends in port. Sometimes they can be all day into the dinner hour, and sometimes they vary, and can be too short, or not allow for your excursion choices.

Also consider that Costa and MSC cater more to a european clientele, and the cuisine will be more european. Norwegian and Royal Caribbean attract more of a north american clientele, and food is generally what you are used to.

Any ships on your short list are suitable for your cruise and needs.

Look at which itinerary you like best.

Keep in mind the time that each ship spends in port. Sometimes they can be all day into the dinner hour, and sometimes they vary, and can be too short, or not allow for your excursion choices.

Also consider that Costa and MSC cater more to a european clientele, and the cuisine will be more european. Norwegian and Royal Caribbean attract more of a north american clientele, and food is generally what you are used to.

Don't know if the OP is a North American. Lists location as Bangkok.

Edited by Texas Tillie

Don't forget -- Royal ships have their version of Anytime Dining where you are not limited to the early and late set dining times. Also, with the children, eating in the Windjammer (upstairs cafeteria style) lets you eat almost anytime without the more restaurant style dining rooms.

Especially since you think the older generation will generally stay on the ship, they will like the option of eating while you are off the ship in ports.

I do love the Greek Island cruises and there are lots of options of things to see, some of which will not be interesting to children.

Have fun.