Dunedin Christmas Day

central42

We will be arriving in Dunedin on the Diamond Princess on Christmas Day 2015. We have a question about the Taeiri train tours. Want to know whether the Princess train is different than local tour company train? If so is there a difference in the accommodations on the train?

As it is Christmas Day will the trains run and will anything in Dunedin be open that day? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be arriving in Dunedin on the Diamond Princess on Christmas Day 2015. We have a question about the Taeiri train tours. Want to know whether the Princess train is different than local tour company train? If so is there a difference in the accommodations on the train?

As it is Christmas Day will the trains run and will anything in Dunedin be open that day? Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think they run on Christmas day and the shops will be shut too. But the train is the same if you book through the ship or book private. The only difference is if you book through the ship the train meets you at the port and you get a box lunch. If you go private they take you by bus to catch the train and you buy your own lunch on the train. We used Good Company Tours and they were wonderful and so much cheaper than the ship. We were a family of 3 and we did the train trip bought morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea and had 2 hour city & beach tour for less than it would of cost us to buy 1 train ticket through the ship. I would highly recommend Good Company to anyone looking for tours in Dunedin.

Heres a thread from a few years ago on this topic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1521181&highlight=dunedin+christmas

Usually ships spend Christmas Day at sea.

Must admit I was surprised that they will be in Dunedin on Christmas Day. I wonder if they are going to organise a special high end Christmas train trip, complete with Santa, etc? Otherwise being in port on Christmas Day is a waste of time, with all shops shut.