Decisions (Aug 2004 - Golden vs. Caribbean)

gopher's girl

I'm having trouble making up my mind about which cruise to take...

8/15 Southern on Golden Princess (Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Thomas)

-did similar itinerary on Dawn but person going with has not been to any, I loved them all

8/14 or 8/21 Eastern on Caribbean Princess (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Princess Cays)

-would love to see the new ship but concerned about the passenger ages (lots of children - I'm just not there yet) and extra deck of people

8/22 Southern on Golden Princess (St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Margarita, Aruba)

-are there good beaches on Grenada and Aruba? what to do on Margarita?

Please help icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gopher's girl:

I'm having trouble making up my mind about which cruise to take...

8/15 Southern on Golden Princess (Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Thomas)

-did similar itinerary on Dawn but person going with has not been to any, I loved them all

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be my choice. I'm not a huge fan of St. Thomas, but the rest of the islands would be nice to see. I would really like to dive in Barbados and St. Lucia. The one thing to consider is that air fare to San Juan is usually higher that to Florida.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

I wouldn't be that concerned about the amount of children on the August sailing of the Caribbean Princess. Most kids are getting ready to go back to school. Not a big family vacation time.

I loved the Golden and the Caribbean. You'll have fun on either ship.

**Mandee**

2/03 Golden Princess

4/04 Caribbean Princess

• 1 month later...

If given the choice and cost was not an issue, I would pick the Golden and either southern itinerary. It all depends on whether you would prefer a leisurely week with lots of sea days or a port intensive week in the southern Caribbean. You really can't lose with either ship. The extra passengers on the Caribbean are NOT an issue. We were on the Caribbean in May and loved every minute. Both mid-ship pools are open-air so there is much more deck space and pool chairs so it is not hard to find a chair. It's a beautiful ship but so is the Golden. Palm Beach in Aruba is beautiful. We spent a week there last February and loved it. I'm sorry but I've not been to Grenada so I can't comment on beaches there. I would book one ship and then while on that ship, book a future cruise on the other one! Voilla`

We did this itinerary last year and loved it. If you don't care for the shopping and crowds on St. Thomas - St. Johns is a very inexpensive ferry trip away. It's a beautiful, natural island.

This year are booked on the Grenada, Aruba route on the Golden in October.

Have fun!

Thanks for the correction on the 8/15 itinerary - hope you have a great time!

I selected the 8/14 Eastern itinerary. Joyfully reading through the recent reviews posted by Chris, Sydney and that other monk dude :)

Now the trick is getting $1000 for my best friend and her boyfriend to join us! I tried playing the lottery and everything!

• 1 month later...

Thank you to the people who responded to this thread :)

I completed my Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess and the extra days at sea were just what the doctor ordered (in terms of relaxation). Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas and Dawn Beach on St. Maarten were beautiful.

Note on children :

There were lots of kids on board this ship. Many were getting ready to go back to school and were from Chicago, New Jersey, and Virginia. The ones under 18 were all well behaved as far as I could tell. Had dinner with a few, watched shows with others (these kids were with their families) and I have to say I was very impressed with their manners and conversation abilities!!

It was the older "children" in their early 20s who were noisy, drunk, and rude. I somehow avoided this phase in my life and did not want to be an innocent bystander (across the hall) to these activities on my vacation.

Archived