"The plan to salvage the Costa Concordia"

RSWBADGER

I've read mixed and conflicting reports about whether or not the Concordia will ever sail again. Most recent reports say it won't, that the initial damage and subsequent long exposure to salt water has reduced it to salvage. While I haven't seen any pictures they're supposedly already removing some of the upper superstructure to reduce weight and to make it easier to refloat.

Last I read it was estimated it would be around $300 million. :eek:

Mere peanuts!

They' buff out some of those scrapes, run a few dehumidifiers, spray some WD40 on the balky hinges/pivot points, give her a new coat of paint and she'll be sailing again! ;)

Seriously though, she might be a bargain to someone depending on the actual refurb cost. If the salvage is costing $300m, prolly could score her for $375-400m, say the projected refurb total is half that... you'd get nearly new ship for 2/3rds its original construction cost. If the refurb is lower, that is even a better reason to swipe her up.

What would be an apt name... I know... the Domnica!

Too soon?

Derek

Once the ship is refloated, I suppose anybody could make a bid on it to rebuild a new structure on the hull and put it back into operation. If that bid is more than it would fetch as scrap, then it would presumably be accepted.

A main caveat is that they probably would not want to tow the refloated ship away from the protected part of the Mediterranean she is in now, as rough seas could be very problematic. That means that any rebuilding, whole or partial, would have to be in Italy, which could be very politically difficult.

Really interesting. Thanks for posting it.

The last news I saw was that they plan to tow it to an Italian port to be broken up. It didn't say which port.

Maybe Fincantieri will get her........ :eek:

Sure HOPE NOT.

a few years ago I had a conversation on these board with Copper 10/8 on the fate of the Enchanted Isle which was owned by Comodore CL at the time they went "belly up." He told me it was toed to India where is was beached and it became razor blades. I think that should be the fate of the Costa Concordia.

Archived