Looking for a nice beach in Burmuda,any recomendations.

caribbean sailor

Horseshoe Bay Beach is the quintessential Bermuda pink sand beach and shouldn't be missed. Since you'll be there in September it's probably one of the very few where you'll be able to rent chairs and such. We were there in June and it really wasn't that crowded.

Once you get your rental things you can go towards the water and head left (south) to less crowded areas. People tend to set up right near the rental and concession area but there's lots of room to spread out.

Absolutely correct. We went to the far end of the beach, and it wasn't crowded at all.

Not sure if I would want to cart beach chairs and umbrella all that way though. We just brought ship towels and spread out nicely.

Horseshoe Bay is the best beach on the Island. Also from there keep walking along the paths and it takes you to Warwick Long Bay beach. Very nice there too. Check out the paths on Google Earth. There are also posts on this on this forum.

Hi,

Here is the pic :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28514684&postcount=2

A little further, you could also get a day pass at Coco Reef, 60$ per person inlcludes :

-Access to the private part of Elbow Beach

-Towels

-Chairs

-Umbrella

-Restroom

-Changing room

-Shower

-Access to the pool

-2 course lunch

-1 drink

The most economical way to get there is the ferry to Hamilton and a 10$ cab ride to the resort.

Have fun !

Edited by sebas030

There is only one beach easily accessible by foot from the Dockyard, it's Snorkel Park...but it's a man made beach, so it is not a "real" Bermuda beach.

Closer to the Dockyard there is Black Bay beach. All summer long they have food, rentals, drinks. I wrote to them about my trip in October wondering if they would be open then...they answered me promptly, asking me what date I was there and that they would open the Kiosk for us :eek: now that's service.

I told them they were very kind but I would pass on the offer...I wouldn't make them open the rentals just for my party...

Have fun !

A nice beach with amenities that's not crowded is a tough one. Many ppl walk to the east end of HSB but you're still ina crowded bay. But if you want amenities that's what you do. You can also head for the Elbow Beach Resort or another and enjoy a slightly less-crowded vibe.

We'd head to Warwick Long Bay where there is a food truck and possibly chairs and portapotties and enjoy the relative solitude. Gorgeous, long pink sand beach with few people because you don;t have as many amenities, and Jobson's Cove is also right there to enjoy, a small, very calm, protected cove.

Hi,

Here is the pic :

A little further, you could also get a day pass at Coco Reef, 60$ per person inlcludes :

-Towels

-Chairs

-Umbrella

-Restroom

-Changing room

-Shower

-Access to the pool

-2 course lunch

-1 drink

The most economical way to get there is the ferry to Hamilton and a 10$ cab ride to the resort.

Have fun !

I just did Coco Reef last week. We shared a cab there with a total of four people and took the bus back. A really terrific day and a great value as well IMHO. Enjoy whatever you choose!

Closer to the Dockyard there is Black Bay beach. All summer long they have food, rentals, drinks. I wrote to them about my trip in October wondering if they would be open then...they answered me promptly, asking me what date I was there and that they would open the Kiosk for us :eek: now that's service.

Where's Black Bay beach/how do you get there? I've been looking for an alternative to HSB that has calm waters (skittish child) but amenities (which it sounds like Shelly Bay no longer has). Close to Dockyard would be good because I don't think we'd stay that long.

I have to concur wholeheartedly with the answers suggesting Horseshoe Bay.

It is amazing to us how many people cram themselves into that area closest to the concessions....it totally defeats the beauty of this beach.

We just returned from a cruise on the Breakaway, which docked at Dockyard. Day 1 we did a ship's excursion to Horseshoe and walked to the left past the first rock outcropping. Even farther down the main beach is less crowded that right near the entry. But beyond the first set of rocks are 3-4 smaller areas, which are much less crowded and more picturesque.

Day 3 we took a cab from Dockyard at 8 am...we were on the beach with two other couples. It was amazing. And even better if you walk left as we were alone for at least 2 hours with only a few walkers. We left at noon and the main area of beach was again wall to wall people.

Chairs, umbrellas etc are all available for rent and really it's not that far of a walk to get to the less crowded areas where the sand is perfect, water is stunning and rock formations spectacular.

It was 30 years ago that we last came to Bermuda and even with one day of heavy rain during recent our 3 days, I'd still have to say the water color, sand texture and color make it more beautiful than any Caribbean beach we have visited ( including St John's)! it was better than I remembered.

Enjoy your cruise!

just returned from bermuda.. we did horseshoe and elbow. both beautiful, but elbow much less crowded and cleaner facilities. although in september crowds may be less. we did the day pass at coco reef which i highly recommend. (private beach) you could also do the public part of elbow , also nice and good facilities.

Where's Black Bay beach/how do you get there? I've been looking for an alternative to HSB that has calm waters (skittish child) but amenities (which it sounds like Shelly Bay no longer has). Close to Dockyard would be good because I don't think we'd stay that long.

It's next to the sea glass beach near the Dockyard.

http://www.blackbaybermuda.com/

Look at this post, Black Bay is on the left of the pic, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29713417&postcount=1

You can also have a look at their facebook page if you have a facebook account.

I think there is also a red tram doing round trip from the Dockyard that goes to Black Bay and a couple of other places...you could look it up.

Also bus #7 or #8 can drop you near the beach...just ask the bus driver and he will drop you off at the right spot.

Hi,

Here is the pic :

-Towels

-Chairs

-Umbrella

-Restroom

-Changing room

-Shower

-Access to the pool

-2 course lunch

-1 drink

Have fun !

Coco Reef sounds like a good deal. Very interested in doing this since the pool on the ship might be very crowded most of the time. Thanks for the info.

Did you get free wifi during your visit? Do you have to leave at a certain time or can you stay until 5-6pm?

we went to coco reef last week. Very beautiful, nice lunch pool and beach. HOWEVER.... we were under the assumption that the $ 60 pp included chairs and umbrellas. We arrived there around 11:00 and there were none left and it wasn't crowded at all. The girl at the desk informed me that "your reservation only includes lunch, use of pool and private beach.Chairs and umbrellas are first come first serve". We were very surprised as we never heard anyone having a problem with chairs/umbrellas before. After about 30 minutes a maintenance worker bought us some chairs, but no umbrellas which we desperately needed for my daughter because she developed sun poisoning on the ship the day before and needed protection from the sun. it was another 30 minute wait for an umbrella. So just something to be aware of if you go there.

We plan to bring our own chairs on the Breakaway with us. Do other people do this? Is it a problem bringing them on the busses and ferries?

I would not do that if I were you. We were on a bus last year that had a couple of people bring chairs on. Needless to say it wasn't pretty.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Small, compact chairs are fine on the ferry and ok on the bus if you are considerate of others. You may be able to store them in the storage on the bus too.

Very popular for folks wanting a less busy beach.

.....the 3 people that came on carried them on.

:eek:

wasiii

Having been to HSB many years ago we wanted to try a much less crowded beach. When we arrived in St. George in 2011 we asked one of the Bermuda greeters what our options were for a beach. He mentioned Clearwater beach. The best part if it was we could take a boat to the beach for about $18 round trip pp that we paid for on the return trip. I don't know if that man and his son are still in business, but I hope so. The beach was excellent-uncrowded, only about 10 of us from the ship, a bar that also served food and had bathrooms, and rentals were available. We had the best day and hope to go back in 2015.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app