Alanya, Turkey

I have spent most of today searching the web for information on port of Alanya. So far the most helpful thing I have found is this

" Castle is obviously a landmark of the city, as it is seen basically from every point. The castle walls date back to the 13th century and are built on top of Byzantine fortifications. The walls are 6,5 km long and include 140 towers, including the most famous Red Tower. Inside the castle one can find Byzantine church, mosque, caravanserai and numerous cisterns and villas. From top of the Castle walls you'll get the best view over Alanya city, Cleopatra beach and turquoise waters. Truly breathtaking!!!

Please do not attempt to get up here by foot. Not in the summer time, at least. We were literally melting down simply walking around the castle. Take lots of water with you (preferably in the city), as the prices go higher the higher you get up into the mountain. Also there are no toilet facilities here, so take your time before getting to the top. The nearest toilets are half way down the hill in the cafes and restaurants.

After visiting the Alanya Castle we've stopped for an ice-cream in the first restaurant down the hill. From here you get a perfect view on the other side of Alanya with its marina and Red Tower. And I'm not talking about the marvelous ice-cream bowl we had - it was delicious, refreshing and so at the right time!!!

The Red Tower is considered to be the symbol of the city. You will not miss it if exploring the city by yourself because this tower, apart from other castle towers, is made out of red bricks.

Another famous sightseeing point not to miss is Damlatas Cave. The entrance to the cave is at the bottom of the mountain, next to the road going to the castle, basically right on the beach. It is hard to miss as there is a big plate announcing the cave entrance right in front of a parking square. But if you think that you have found an escape from the heat, just because the cave has permanent 22C degrees, think again! )))) The humidity is 95%!!!! Once inside, you think you were better off outside at 35-40C. ))) Once you are inside, your whole body runs with water and clothes are as wet as just out of the washing machine. ))) To my mind, there is nothing to do for more than 10 minutes anyway - the cave is really small and if you have seen some better examples (especially Marble Caves in Crimea, Ukraine, which have breathtaking beauty!!!), you'll find this cave a joke. I couldn't believe, that one single cave hall was actually it, so I searched for some hidden passageways, but no - that was it. Once it's said and you know what to expect, this is well worth a single visit."

"In some way you are obligated to visit this castle, everywhere you go you se the castle. Up there is a great view over the Cleopatra Beach and the ocean.

The entrance fee is 10 lira thats about 5 Euro.

A taxi up to the Castle from central Alanya is about 15 Lira.

Though its not so special inside the walls but I recommend that you go and visit the Castle just for the view."

Thanks. Guess I'm looking at this port being like a Caribbean port town - just knock around shops and get some ethnic food and check out castle.

BTW - You might want to post this on the other Mediterranean ports board on the Europe board.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you make it on your own?

I have spent most of today searching the web for information on port of Alanya. So far the most helpful thing I have found is this

" Castle is obviously a landmark of the city, as it is seen basically from every point. The castle walls date back to the 13th century and are built on top of Byzantine fortifications. The walls are 6,5 km long and include 140 towers, including the most famous Red Tower. Inside the castle one can find Byzantine church, mosque, caravanserai and numerous cisterns and villas. From top of the Castle walls you'll get the best view over Alanya city, Cleopatra beach and turquoise waters. Truly breathtaking!!!

Please do not attempt to get up here by foot. Not in the summer time, at least. We were literally melting down simply walking around the castle. Take lots of water with you (preferably in the city), as the prices go higher the higher you get up into the mountain. Also there are no toilet facilities here, so take your time before getting to the top. The nearest toilets are half way down the hill in the cafes and restaurants.

After visiting the Alanya Castle we've stopped for an ice-cream in the first restaurant down the hill. From here you get a perfect view on the other side of Alanya with its marina and Red Tower. And I'm not talking about the marvelous ice-cream bowl we had - it was delicious, refreshing and so at the right time!!!

The Red Tower is considered to be the symbol of the city. You will not miss it if exploring the city by yourself because this tower, apart from other castle towers, is made out of red bricks.

Another famous sightseeing point not to miss is Damlatas Cave. The entrance to the cave is at the bottom of the mountain, next to the road going to the castle, basically right on the beach. It is hard to miss as there is a big plate announcing the cave entrance right in front of a parking square. But if you think that you have found an escape from the heat, just because the cave has permanent 22C degrees, think again! )))) The humidity is 95%!!!! Once inside, you think you were better off outside at 35-40C. ))) Once you are inside, your whole body runs with water and clothes are as wet as just out of the washing machine. ))) To my mind, there is nothing to do for more than 10 minutes anyway - the cave is really small and if you have seen some better examples (especially Marble Caves in Crimea, Ukraine, which have breathtaking beauty!!!), you'll find this cave a joke. I couldn't believe, that one single cave hall was actually it, so I searched for some hidden passageways, but no - that was it. Once it's said and you know what to expect, this is well worth a single visit."

"In some way you are obligated to visit this castle, everywhere you go you se the castle. Up there is a great view over the Cleopatra Beach and the ocean.

The entrance fee is 10 lira thats about 5 Euro.

A taxi up to the Castle from central Alanya is about 15 Lira.

Though its not so special inside the walls but I recommend that you go and visit the Castle just for the view."

We plan on going to the Alanya Castle on our own. There is a city bus that stops at the corner of H. Eminpasa Cd and Damalatas Cd across from Kuyularonu Mosque. I was told that it is approximately 400 meters from the cruise terminal. I do not know the price for the bus; it would be Turkey lira cash. Hopefully, we will take the bus up and scoot back down.

Betty

You forgot Alanyas most famous landmark; the Selcuk shipyards ("Tersane") built in 1227 and still intact! Easy to find (follow the wall next to the Red Tower along the sea), and completely FREE.

I have beautiful pictures of Alanya, the shipyards, the red tower and the castle, but I cannot post them here for some reason, but you can find many on Panoramio or Google.

You do not need to take a taxi up to the castle, there is a public bus. The bus driver even takes Euro coins if you don't have TL. Like other people commented, do not try to walk up the hill, it is steep. You can walk down. The bussystem is very efficient, there is a little dolmus busstation with all the buses with clear route- and time tables. Most bus drivers or fellow passengers speak some english (or alternatively some german).

Buggins: we found it more interesting than the average Caribbean port, but we were there in the off-season. Alanya is a very touristy town, one of the most popular holiday resorts on the Med, but it also has a large Turkish population. If you visit in the winter/off-season, you will find a sleepy town with many senior citizens escaping the northern European cold.

You forgot Alanyas most famous landmark; the Selcuk shipyards ("Tersane") built in 1227 and still intact! Easy to find (follow the wall next to the Red Tower along the sea), and completely FREE.

I have beautiful pictures of Alanya, the shipyards, the red tower and the castle, but I cannot post them here for some reason, but you can find many on Panoramio or Google.

You do not need to take a taxi up to the castle, there is a public bus. The bus driver even takes Euro coins if you don't have TL. Like other people commented, do not try to walk up the hill, it is steep. You can walk down. The bussystem is very efficient, there is a little dolmus busstation with all the buses with clear route- and time tables. Most bus drivers or fellow passengers speak some english (or alternatively some german).

Buggins: we found it more interesting than the average Caribbean port, but we were there in the off-season. Alanya is a very touristy town, one of the most popular holiday resorts on the Med, but it also has a large Turkish population. If you visit in the winter/off-season, you will find a sleepy town with many senior citizens escaping the northern European cold.

Thanks - this information really helps. We love free (or nearly free) Was searching around the web on this port yesterday. Found some pictures - it looked absolutely stunning. Kind of reminded me of a Turkish Antibes or Cannes. Nice to know that the bus takes Euros.

You've nailed down this port for us - Thanks again. We're going to be there off-season also (November). Sounds like a wonderful port to leisurely stroll before the hectic Holy Land ports of our cruise.

Ooops - another question. Can you walk out of the port to the bus stop or is a taxi needed?

The quay with the cruise terminal building (very small by the way) is directly next to the Red Tower, smack bam in the middle of town. For the Tersane, the Red Tower and the town you do not need a bus. If you walk down the boulevard to where it starts to curve to the right (there is a little park with a fountain there), you walk about 3 blocks inland for the bus station. We found a map here: the Red Tower is on the bottom of the map, with the cruise quay sticking out to the right. The shopping bazar is the built up area with the detail map, here you see the blue bus station sign.

We will be in Alanya Nov 6th 2012 - So my plan has not been tried yet.

We have reserved motor scooters (US$20/each/day), which are being delivered to the Port at 9am. Armed with a guide book and a map, we plan to go up to the castle, then see whatever else suits our fancy on the day. We'll return the scooters back to the port and reboard our ship by 5pm.

I have high hopes for this working out - I'll plan to have some Turkish lira already, but from what I've read, every place will accept Euros too.

The city is small, so I'm hoping we don't get lost but still get to see more than just walking or taking a bus would allow.

...we'll see!

Jen

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived