Anthem of the Seas

Derek- interesting perspective. Has it been confirmed yet that they will build a Quantum 4? Who is further along with new terminal development, Miami or PC? With recent news about a new 6000 passenger terminal at PC one would expect to see an Oasis Class home port there first. Unless Miami is further along than we know and have kept it under wraps. Sometimes I do think with a names like Anthem, RCI could have her sail out of their own backyard next to their Head Quarters maybe even part of the year. Just a thought.

Royal Caribbean has not confirmed a Quantum 4 yet, but I think it's more likely than an Oasis 4 from a financial stand point.

In December 2011 Miami released this video:

It shows their whole 2035 Master Plan. All of these things they want to have done by 2035, but they don't really lay out the timetable or phases at all. Not even an idea of the order of things, which may be related to the demands at any moment. It includes the tunnel (already under construction), a mini downtown (with hotels and business), a port dredging, and the new terminal (with mass transit connections and several buildings). It seems like the design is pretty far along. The terminal is modular so they could easily build it in phases in order to get one part up first. A saw an interview back then that really explained the terminal concept in detail. The concept is to build an airport at the port. Centralized screening, check-in, transit, and baggage areas with waiting spaces along the whole pier to allow for more flexibility in ship placement. It's supposed to make B2B on different ships even easier as you never leave the terminal or go through screening or check-in, just walk to the other ship. The transit hubs similar to an airport are also supposed to make passenger flow easier to and from the port. Maybe this will all be for the next generation of Ultra Oasis though. It certainly is a revolutionary concept though that is designed to handle tens of thousands of passengers at a time, weather from one ship or many.

Royal Caribbean has not confirmed a Quantum 4 yet, but I think it's more likely than an Oasis 4 from a financial stand point.

It shows their whole 2035 Master Plan. All of these things they want to have done by 2035, but they don't really lay out the timetable or phases at all. Not even an idea of the order of things, which may be related to the demands at any moment. It includes the tunnel (already under construction), a mini downtown (with hotels and business), a port dredging, and the new terminal (with mass transit connections and several buildings). It seems like the design is pretty far along. The terminal is modular so they could easily build it in phases in order to get one part up first. A saw an interview back then that really explained the terminal concept in detail. The concept is to build an airport at the port. Centralized screening, check-in, transit, and baggage areas with waiting spaces along the whole pier to allow for more flexibility in ship placement. It's supposed to make B2B on different ships even easier as you never leave the terminal or go through screening or check-in, just walk to the other ship. The transit hubs similar to an airport are also supposed to make passenger flow easier to and from the port. Maybe this will all be for the next generation of Ultra Oasis though. It certainly is a revolutionary concept though that is designed to handle tens of thousands of passengers at a time, weather from one ship or many.

Thanks for sharing these details. There is definitely going to be increased competition amongst the various port authorities for cruise business.

Wow I had no clue about this plan, thanks so much for sharing! The concept art looks AMAZING!! How cool would that be? I hope it all comes to fruition, I hope its not another ambitious project that goes to waste/never becomes a reality.

Quantum and Anthem have been designed for cold weather sailing hence the large amounts of money RCCL has put into the indoor venues and not as much space allocated for enjoying the great outdoors. I think that this would rule out ay of these ships being based year round from a warm weather port. You might see one based out of Florida for the winter Caribbean season but I would not think for the entire year.

Not going to happen. She's a cold weather ship. No way they would put her year round.

But with Anthem being a cold weather ship, there would be no reason to move her to FL for the Winter. I can see her ported in SH all year.:)

Everyone seems to be focusing on the cold weather factor, but Quantum was originally announced as having been designed with 3 things in mind.

1. Cold weather
  2. Long itineraries
  3. Scenic destinations

Based on that list any of the usual Florida routes (that premiered Freedom/Liberty/Oasis/Allure, and many more) would not make any sense.

This is a peeve of mine: Quantum/Anthem are designed for ALL WEATHER sailings, designed to handle both warm and cold destinations, sunny and rainy days.

Like Radiance, there is a fully exposed pool and a pool under a retractible roof. Like Oasis, there is an exposed Flowrider in the aft.

And she is sailing to Florida and the Caribbean year round (based on current published itineraries), and not currently scheduled to sail to any cold weather destinations (just sailing from one that is cold part of the year). So this belief that she is a "cold weather" ship is incomplete at best (note the Radiance class were built for much of the same, and only Radiance is anywhere near "cold weather").

Just as RCI thought out side of the box with the design of Quantum class, I am sure they will be thinking about the bigger picture with these ships.

After all the action is in Asia folks, and even Bloomberg and CNBC say that . Reason ?? There are more real middle class in Asia already :rolleyes: , than the whole population of the USA and Canada.

And from previous posts here , QOS goes North when AOS comes into service and takes over the QOS timetable . Thats a Fact ;)

You mention QOS going north. Going north to where? Quantum is already going to be homeported in the north (Bayonne, NJ) and that is a fact. The only place north of Bayonne is Boston, or are you meaning further north than Boston? :confused:

And she is sailing to Florida and the Caribbean year round (based on current published itineraries), and not currently scheduled to sail to any cold weather destinations

Do you talk about Quantum or Anthem??

Do you have any sources that she sails to Florida year-round?

If you mean Quantum, than you are likely to be right, but if you mean Anthem, I think you are wrong...

And if the great belt bridge in Denmark is 65 m high, the ship might be able to pass the bridge - otherwise Adventure does it...

This is a peeve of mine: Quantum/Anthem are designed for ALL WEATHER sailings, designed to handle both warm and cold destinations, sunny and rainy days.

Like Radiance, there is a fully exposed pool and a pool under a retractible roof. Like Oasis, there is an exposed Flowrider in the aft.

And she is sailing to Florida and the Caribbean year round (based on current published itineraries), and not currently scheduled to sail to any cold weather destinations (just sailing from one that is cold part of the year). So this belief that she is a "cold weather" ship is incomplete at best (note the Radiance class were built for much of the same, and only Radiance is anywhere near "cold weather").

But the Quantum is going to be homeported in a cold weather port in Bayonne, NJ. Winter sailing's form Bayonne generally don't hit the warmer weather until the second day at sea heading south to Florida and the Caribbean.

Do you talk about Quantum or Anthem??

Do you have any sources that she sails to Florida year-round?

If you mean Quantum, than you are likely to be right, but if you mean Anthem, I think you are wrong...

And if the great belt bridge in Denmark is 65 m high, the ship might be able to pass the bridge - otherwise Adventure does it...

Quantum will be sailing year round from Bayonne, NJ starting in late 2014. Quantum's itineraries will be to Florida, the Bahamas, and to the Eastern Caribbean. Quantum will also start sailing's to Bermuda later in 2015.

No itineraries or a homeport have been announced yet for the Anthem.

But the Quantum is going to be homeported in a cold weather port in Bayonne, NJ. Winter sailing's form Bayonne generally don't hit the warmer weather until the second day at sea heading south to Florida and the Caribbean.

Though it can get pretty cold in Bayonne in the winter, I would hardly call it a "cold weather port" in August. But even in the dead of winter, Quantum will spend more time in warm weather than cold, as by "the second day at sea heading south", she will be in (mostly) warm weather, heading for a warm weather destination.

So my point is still that the Quantum class are ALL WEATHER ships, not cold weather ships, and at the whim of the cruise line, they can home port them anywhere they desire, including Dubai (not suggesting that they will, but they could if they felt the business justified the port).

Though it can get pretty cold in Bayonne in the winter, I would hardly call it a "cold weather port" in August. But even in the dead of winter, Quantum will spend more time in warm weather than cold, as by "the second day at sea heading south", she will be in (mostly) warm weather, heading for a warm weather destination.

So my point is still that the Quantum class are ALL WEATHER ships, not cold weather ships, and at the whim of the cruise line, they can home port them anywhere they desire, including Dubai (not suggesting that they will, but they could if they felt the business justified the port).

I get what you are saying, but I think the intent with the Quantum was to give passengers the ability to have more weather protected venues for when the weather is cold or miserable from Bayonne that the Explorer did not have. Ships that sail from Florida allow passengers to enjoy outdoor activities right away or almost right away.

In the overall scheme of things every cruise ship is an all weather ship because they do sail in all kinds of weather no matter what. But on most ships when the weather is less than perfect many of the ships outdoor activities are shut down.

So, I think Royal Caribbean will satisfy a large number of people in a market/port as the business that is done there justifies the ship being homeported there year round as the Quantum will be.

Quantum will be sailing year round from Bayonne, NJ starting in late 2014. Quantum's itineraries will be to Florida, the Bahamas, and to the Eastern Caribbean. Quantum will also start sailing's to Bermuda later in 2015.

No itineraries or a homeport have been announced yet for the Anthem.

That's what I'd like to know - thank you very much! :)

I hear what your saying, however, the All Weather in my opinion would be for - Sailing to cold weather itineries from a warm port or sailing to warm itineries from cold ports. I still do not see them sailing from a warm port to a warm destination.:)

I get what you are saying, but I think the intent with the Quantum was to give passengers the ability to have more weather protected venues for when the weather is cold or miserable from Bayonne that the Explorer did not have. Ships that sail from Florida allow passengers to enjoy outdoor activities right away or almost right away.

In the overall scheme of things every cruise ship is an all weather ship because they do sail in all kinds of weather no matter what. But on most ships when the weather is less than perfect many of the ships outdoor activities are shut down.

So, I think Royal Caribbean will satisfy a large number of people in a market/port as the business that is done there justifies the ship being homeported there year round as the Quantum will be.

Very well put! Sailing out of NJ/NY from Winter to early Spring is coat and gloves weather up on deck and you literally lose 2 to 2 1/2 days of deck time between coming and going.

I also could imagine that both Anthem and Independence otS sail out of Southampton in 2015.

Maybe Adventure sails the 12 night itineraries from Barcelona in 2015 on which Serenade operates in 2013 and 2014...

So Serenade could switch to Northern Europe out of Copenhagen, Stockholm and Hamburg (cruise lists for 2015 give some hints for that) and Brilliance sails out of Harwich again...

You mention QOS going north. Going north to where? Quantum is already

going to be homeported in the north (Bayonne, NJ) and that is a fact.

The only place north of Bayonne is Boston, or are you meaning further

north than Boston? :confused:

Strewth . Who said anything about her Home Port moving.

There are links somewhere in this forum " Countdown to QOS

for

Bar Harbour & Portland ( The Maniac ones :rolleyes: )

Strangely enough the Ferry from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth was

built down here in Tassie . Wonder where she is now ??

http://www.newenglandtravelplanner.com/go/me/bar_harbor/trans/ferries.html

Go to some of the other Cruise Lines to get an Idea where the

QOS could be going

for

QOS could be going

According to some news and port lists, Quantum seems to offer Canada/New England cruises in 2015. :)

http://www.barharbormaine.gov/cruise/

QOS could be going

Can you give me a hint, please? :)

Edited by celebrity_fan

for

QOS could be going

I see what you are saying now. I interpreted your comment as the homeport was to be moved. I do think that Quantum will go on some northern itineraries. We already know that the Quantum is pretty much going to be doing all of the Explorer's current routes from Bayonne.

According to some news and port lists, Quantum seems to offer Canada/New England cruises in 2015. :)

http://www.barharbormaine.gov/cruise/

Can you give me a hint, please? :)

Thanks for sharing that. First time I've seen canada officially listed. Looks like she'll be there 8/30/15, 9/13/15, 9/27/15, and 10/11/15.

Thanks for sharing that. First time I've seen canada officially listed. Looks like she'll be there 8/30/15, 9/13/15, 9/27/15, and 10/11/15.

Would be great - maybe I'll find some time to do one cruise in 2015...:)

In Canada/NE 2015, RCI seems to use those ships:

Quantum - CL

Serenade - CL and Quebec

Brilliance - Boston

Grandeur - Baltimore.

Still waiting for some hints for Anthem in 2015...:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

If you compare the Independence of the Seas' dates in 2014 with those of the Anthem in 2015 they show an identical pattern. Looks like Anthem will replace Independence. Now the question is if Indy will head west in November 2014 and not return or shift somewhere else. Maybe she is Barcelona bound now.