Tolls and bridge costs

timetravler

What will be my cost if I am coming from EWR(Newark) to downtown Brooklyn. I will be using a car service and with this car service you pay extra for the tolls and bridges.

You have to ask your car service what the charge will be for the Holland Tunnel. List price is currently $14, but there are are peak and non ppeak discounts with Ezpass. To get to downtown Brooklyn, the East River Bridges are free. Only the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel has a toll, but that's not really the best way to downptown Brooklyn.

These bridge tolls are about double of what the Golden Gate bridge in California charges. I don't get it. So far I am seeing either $14 or $16 dollars for the bridges. I will call my car service for more info, so thanks for that suggestion.

With EZ-Pass, there are also off-peak rates - see this official rates chart lnk - http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

Like the Gold Gate Bridge, tolls collected only one-way (southbound) - it's collected eastbound only (New Jersey to New York)

Rates has been steadily rising the years - rates for commercial trucks, that's insane :eek:

From EWR to downtown Brooklyn, depending on location - it's unlikely for the driver to use the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel as that'll be closer to Red Hook (Brooklyn Cruise Terminal) than downtown Brooklyn. Cash toll has risen (again) recently to $8 each-way for cash, EZ-Pass toll discounted to $5.56 (easily to look up the exact amount) each-way.

Tolls collected, as understood, also go to support/fund mass transit - buses, subways, etc. as well as highway projects & maintenance ... :rolleyes: