Carnival Cruise Ship Cancels Port of Call Due to Medical Situation

Ziggy7

Carnival Fantasy heads back to port and cancels port of call due to a medical emergency.

Carnival Fantasy which is currently the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet headed back to its homeport in Mobile, Alabama due to a medical emergency where a passenger needed urgent and further medical care on land.

The vessel was on the second day of a 4-day Western Caribbean cruise and already sailing towards its only port of Cozumel, Mexico when it turned around back to Mobile.

Carnival Cruise Line has released the following statement to Local News:

Earlier today, Carnival Fantasy had to return to its homeport of Mobile, Ala. to disembark a guest experiencing a critical medical emergency. The ship was on the second day of a four-day cruise that departed the Port of Mobile yesterday.

As a result, the ship will be forced to miss a scheduled call in Cozumel, Mexico and the remainder of the voyage will be spent at sea.

All guests on this voyage will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare and a 50% credit on a future Carnival cruise. In addition, any guests wishing to disembark in Mobile will have the opportunity to do so and will receive a full refund of their cruise fare.

Carnival sincerely apologizes to its guests for this disruption of their vacation plans. Returning to Mobile was imperative based on the seriousness of the medical emergency. The well-being of our guests and team members is always our foremost priority.

Carnival Fantasy operates four- to 10-day cruises from Mobile, Ala.

Due to the passenger needing critical medical attention the ship is now not able to call in Cozumel as scheduled on August 19. Carnival Fantasy will now sail a cruise to nowhere where the ship will stay out at sea until arriving back into its home port as scheduled on August 21.

Carnival has apologized to guests for the inconvenience and offered a 50% refund of the cruise fare along with 50% of onboard credit. Any passengers wanting to disembark the ship have been able to do so with a full refund.

The ship is Fantasy class and the only one in the fleet sailing out of Mobile, Alabama. Carnival Fantasy is 70,300 gross tons and can carry over 2,000 passengers at double occupancy.

We do hope the passenger in need of medical attention is stable and makes a full recovery.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-ship-cancels-port-call-due-medical-situation/18568

Wonder if cruise lines ever refuse passage to passengers who look very feeble and that might pass on at any time?

Costs Carnival a fortune for this and it does happen regularly.

At some DW and I will decide cruising is no longer feasible for us.

Carnival did the right thing of course and they did make a very generous offer to their passengers.

Wonder if cruise lines ever refuse passage to passengers who look very feeble and that might pass on at any time?

Costs Carnival a fortune for this and it does happen regularly.

At some DW and I will decide cruising is no longer feasible for us.

Carnival did the right thing of course and they did make a very generous offer to their passengers.

Good question but I have never heard of them doing this, especially since they have a large amount of elderly cruisers every year cruising on their ships.

This was an assault an a male passenger by a female, wielding a knife. She hit an artery. They were requesting passengers to donate O negative blood. A passenger on the ship stated that she saw two women in handcuffs. Evidently he was too unstable to be able to airlift off of the ship.

Edited by Thorncroft

This was an assault an a male passenger by a female, wielding a knife. She hit an artery. They were requesting passengers to donate O negative blood. A passenger on the ship stated that she saw two women in handcuffs. Evidently he was too unstable to be able to airlift off of the ship.

Jeeze! Really? Where'd ya hear that?

What difference does it make , not everyone is on CC daily.
Right you are! It always amazes me how quick some people are to jump in when a news story has been posted a second or third time and point it out to the OP, like there is some sort of prize for being the first one to notice it. I guess they get a cheap thrill from it or something.:confused:

Carnival Fantasy heads back to port and cancels port of call due to a medical emergency.

Carnival Fantasy which is currently the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet headed back to its homeport in Mobile, Alabama due to a medical emergency where a passenger needed urgent and further medical care on land.

The vessel was on the second day of a 4-day Western Caribbean cruise and already sailing towards its only port of Cozumel, Mexico when it turned around back to Mobile.

Carnival Cruise Line has released the following statement to Local News:

Earlier today, Carnival Fantasy had to return to its homeport of Mobile, Ala. to disembark a guest experiencing a critical medical emergency. The ship was on the second day of a four-day cruise that departed the Port of Mobile yesterday.

As a result, the ship will be forced to miss a scheduled call in Cozumel, Mexico and the remainder of the voyage will be spent at sea.

All guests on this voyage will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare and a 50% credit on a future Carnival cruise. In addition, any guests wishing to disembark in Mobile will have the opportunity to do so and will receive a full refund of their cruise fare.

Carnival sincerely apologizes to its guests for this disruption of their vacation plans. Returning to Mobile was imperative based on the seriousness of the medical emergency. The well-being of our guests and team members is always our foremost priority.

Carnival Fantasy operates four- to 10-day cruises from Mobile, Ala.

Due to the passenger needing critical medical attention the ship is now not able to call in Cozumel as scheduled on August 19. Carnival Fantasy will now sail a cruise to nowhere where the ship will stay out at sea until arriving back into its home port as scheduled on August 21.

Carnival has apologized to guests for the inconvenience and offered a 50% refund of the cruise fare along with 50% of onboard credit. Any passengers wanting to disembark the ship have been able to do so with a full refund.

The ship is Fantasy class and the only one in the fleet sailing out of Mobile, Alabama. Carnival Fantasy is 70,300 gross tons and can carry over 2,000 passengers at double occupancy.

We do hope the passenger in need of medical attention is stable and makes a full recovery.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-ship-cancels-port-call-due-medical-situation/18568

Your all wrong. The guy tried to reverse his auto gratuity... moral of the story. Don't be cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gotta say, that's a pretty handsome offer from Carnival for those affected on that cruise.

I DO wonder how the age of the ship ("oldest ship in the Carnival fleet") has ANYTHING to do with the story. Would a newer ship somehow have had a magical blood bank hidden in the infirmary?

Gotta say, that's a pretty handsome offer from Carnival for those affected on that cruise.

I DO wonder how the age of the ship ("oldest ship in the Carnival fleet") has ANYTHING to do with the story. Would a newer ship somehow have had a magical blood bank hidden in the infirmary?

Think their is an opening for an Editor over there.

Right you are! It always amazes me how quick some people are to jump in when a news story has been posted a second or third time and point it out to the OP, like there is some sort of prize for being the first one to notice it. I guess they get a cheap thrill from it or something.:confused:
They are just trolls racking up posts (like there is a prize for them! HA!), if you look at their past posts you will see that's all they do is offer negativity, not helpful advice! They need attention, probably live a sad and lonely life! I just ignore them :)

They are just trolls racking up posts (like there is a prize for them! HA!), if you look at their past posts you will see that's all they do is offer negativity, not helpful advice! They need attention, probably live a sad and lonely life! I just ignore them :)

I have noticed that quite a bit on this site. Someone once accused me of being from the "me generation" because they didn't like what I wrote about my experience on a cruise. It was so rude! I looked them up and noticed that they had called other people the same thing in other posts. I don't understand why they have to do things like that.

Thanks for posting this op. I didn't see the "other" posts about it because I don't have time to be on cruise critic every day. I have one of those things called a job, lol.

I was on this "cruise to nowhere." I have no further information as to what really happened but we did get the announcement while we were back at our cabin from breakfast (I'm gonna say it was about 8:30 am Friday morning) for the need for passengers with O Negative blood type to go to the medical unit to donate for a medical emergency. Maybe an hour later (maybe not that long) another announcement came on thanking those who donated and that there was no need for further donations. There was rumor from that point on. Two rumors to be specific: 1) a woman stabbed her husband and hit an artery and 2) a man had a heart attack. I never found out the truth. And I've tried to find arrest reports for Mobile and any news articles that might further clarify what the actual event was. My husband did say there was one picture of a man who appeared to be alert being put into an ambulance and there were maybe two women with him. But there has been no other coverage of two women being handcuffed and taken off ship that I have seen. I have only heard that through other cruisers onboard and on social media. I'm not familiar with heart attacks, but I didn't know they needed blood donations for that. I've cruised several other times and there have been medical emergencies but those were let off in the nearest port (once even the Coastguard came out to the ship and they lowered the passengar onto their boat). We could see oil rigs and land off in the distance and we could tell we were moving pretty quick. We assumed maybe we must be near Texas (again, I had no idea where we were as I've never sailed out of Mobile to Cozumel but I have sailed out of both Port Canaveral and Miami to Cozumel and I don't recall ever seeing land again until we were coming up on Cozumel). So, anyway, my rambling about all that is just really to say that it seemed more plausible that the stabbing was true and the ship had to go back to Mobile to let local authorities take the suspect off the ship. Others on the ship were saying that it took the entire trip back to even stabilize the passenger which is why they couldn't just have the Coastguard meet us. I don't know. Maybe never will know. I do hope that the passenger with the medical emergency made it out and is recovering.

I was on this "cruise to nowhere." I have no further information as to what really happened but we did get the announcement while we were back at our cabin from breakfast (I'm gonna say it was about 8:30 am Friday morning) for the need for passengers with O Negative blood type to go to the medical unit to donate for a medical emergency. Maybe an hour later (maybe not that long) another announcement came on thanking those who donated and that there was no need for further donations. There was rumor from that point on. Two rumors to be specific: 1) a woman stabbed her husband and hit an artery and 2) a man had a heart attack. I never found out the truth. And I've tried to find arrest reports for Mobile and any news articles that might further clarify what the actual event was. My husband did say there was one picture of a man who appeared to be alert being put into an ambulance and there were maybe two women with him. But there has been no other coverage of two women being handcuffed and taken off ship that I have seen. I have only heard that through other cruisers onboard and on social media. I'm not familiar with heart attacks, but I didn't know they needed blood donations for that. I've cruised several other times and there have been medical emergencies but those were let off in the nearest port (once even the Coastguard came out to the ship and they lowered the passengar onto their boat). We could see oil rigs and land off in the distance and we could tell we were moving pretty quick. We assumed maybe we must be near Texas (again, I had no idea where we were as I've never sailed out of Mobile to Cozumel but I have sailed out of both Port Canaveral and Miami to Cozumel and I don't recall ever seeing land again until we were coming up on Cozumel). So, anyway, my rambling about all that is just really to say that it seemed more plausible that the stabbing was true and the ship had to go back to Mobile to let local authorities take the suspect off the ship. Others on the ship were saying that it took the entire trip back to even stabilize the passenger which is why they couldn't just have the Coastguard meet us. I don't know. Maybe never will know. I do hope that the passenger with the medical emergency made it out and is recovering.

A person with a heart attack would not need blood, that is the last thing they need. If it was not trauma related then most likely it would have been a upper/lower gastrointestinal bleed,

http://local15tv.com/news/local/medical-emergency-forces-carnival-cruise-ship-to-return-to-terminal-cruise-canceled

I would think there would have been FBI boarding the ship and doing an investigation if it was a stabbing, this sound like someone was sick and needed blood!