Bear or Glacier Floatplane? Fishing Trip ADVICE NEEDED

EuroDate20

Help! I need your advice for our first cruise to Alaska! What would you recommend, Glacier or Bear viewing Floatplane trip? Our piggy bank won't allow us to do both.

The guys in my family want to do a fishing trip for halibut. What's the best port for fishing and which company should we go with?

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Help! I need your advice for our first cruise to Alaska! What would you recommend, Glacier or Bear viewing Floatplane trip? Our piggy bank won't allow us to do both.

The guys in my family want to do a fishing trip for halibut. What's the best port for fishing and which company should we go with?

When are you going, and where/which ports? That has a hugh impact on offering you suggestions. If you could tell us that it would be a big help as certain choices are influnced by which month you go, and where you're going.

L.J.

When are you going, and where/which ports? That has a hugh impact on offering you suggestions. If you could tell us that it would be a big help as certain choices are influnced by which month you go, and where you're going.

L.J.

We're leaving next Friday. Our stops are Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!

Ketchican is best for salmon fishing. As far as a boat, most are 6 passenger charter type. Use your search engine for Ketchican salmon fishing. There are quite a few, the question becomes are there any openings for the date you want on any of the boats. I tried Northern lights but he was booked and so was a few others. I was looking for just a spot for me. I finally was able to get on the Avid Angler. I had a good trip and caught fish to send home.

If you have a few people it may be easier to charter a boat.

Ketchikan is your best bet for both halibut (and it is the "Salmon Capital of the World" and bear watching, although we met a groiup of 6 going halibut fishing in Juneau, so that might help. We went salmon fishing in Skagway last month and did ok, but they don't fish for halibut much in the skagway area itself.

As far as bear viewing in Ketchikan, Anan Creek will likely be done in terms of bear viewing, but trips to Traitors Cove should be in full swing. I'd suggest contact Island Wings in Ketchikan and seeing if they have availability, and if not they should be able to point you in the right direction to find another company that has room (if any do). There may be bear viewing trips in Juneau (or from Juneau elsewhere), but if so I'm not familiar with them.

You can do glacier viewing trip from both Junaeau and Skaway, so that offers you some flexibility as well. You didn't mention it but whale watching out of Juneau is excellent & very popular. We've been to Juneau twice, and whale watching there 3 times - twice last month:D!

Have a great trip!

L.J.

Northern Lights is sold out for the date we're in Ketchikan. Has anyone heard of of Promech Air? They do floatplane trips to Neet's Bay where the salmon hatchery is located. Does anyone know which is best, seeing bears from the floatplane on the water or watching bears from an observation post?

Thank you for your comments!!!

Archived