Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ecstasy vs. Paradise vs. Destiny

Which ship do you prefer for a 5-night cruise, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Paradise, or Carnival Destiny?

Explorer of the Seas - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Oceanview Guarantee - 2/21/15

Past Cruises:
Disney Wonder - Cabin 7070 Deluxe Oceanview w/Verandah - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Miami, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - 11/28/14
Carnival Pride - Cabin 7170 Extended Balcony - 7 Night Bahamas - Baltimore, Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport - 3/23/14 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Imagination - Cabin U47 Interior - 4 Night Western Caribbean - Miami, Key West, and Cozumel - 5/13/13 - Photos!
Carnival Dream - Cabin 8288 Balcony - 7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean - Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya - 12/8/12 -
Review with pictures!

Carnival Paradise - Cabin U28 Oceanview - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Tampa, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - 4/21/12 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Victory - Cabin 9227 Inside - 7 Night Southern Caribbean - San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten - 10/9/11 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Dream - Cabin 8248 Balcony - 7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean - Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya - 10/1/11 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Triumph - Cabin 6202 Inside w/Obstructed Picture Window - 5 Night Western Caribbean - New Orleans, Progreso, and Cozumel - 1/3/11 - Review / Photos
Carnival Imagination - Cabin U29 Oceanview - 4 Night Western Caribbean - Miami, Key West, and Cozumel - 12/15/08 - Review with pictures!

Old February 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

brilliantseas - Choice of ships the Destiny. I have cruised it and Ecstasy both and really liked the Destiny. We liked the Movie screen on the Lido deck and it's a little larger ship. I believe the Ecstasy and the Paradise are very similiar ships. Now that being said I saw your other post about the ports. Don't remember which ship is going where, but if it was me I would choose my cruise based on the ports, not the ship. But that's just me. As for the ports on your other thread I would definitely go to Grand Caymen and Cozumel over Freeport and Key West!!! We love Key West and go there every year on a land vacation, but you don't get enough time on a ship to really enjoy it. That being said Grand Caymen is amazing! If you go there try to do a Stingray excursion it's one of the best we have ever done. As for Cozumel they have nice beaches, good snorkeling and great bars! Have fun on whatever cruise you choose!

Past Cruises -

Carnival Fantasy March 2007, Carnival Imagination February 2008, Carnival Ecstasy May 2008,
Carnival Fantasy January 2009, Carnival Destiny April 2009, Carnival Splendor February 2010,
Carnival Dream March 2012, Carnival Legend Transatlantic April 2013,

Old February 11th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, Stephanie. I've been on the Imagination (sister ship to the Paradise and Ecstasy) and on the Triumph and Victory (slightly modified version of the Destiny) and I've found a post-Evolutions of Fun Imagination to be much nicer than either the Triumph or the Victory, with the exception of the fact that Triumph and Victory had more pool space and balconies. I just found both of them to be in very poor shape as compared to the Imagination in 2008 and the Dream in 2011.

I've done Cozumel three times and enjoy it every time. I've also been to Key West once. I guess the biggest reason why I haven't already booked the Paradise Grand Cayman and Cozumel itinerary is because it is only 2 ports vs. 3 (2 sea days vs. 1) and from the pictures I've seen of the Paradise, I don't think I'd enjoy the decor nearly as much.

I'm also curious as to just how poor of shape Destiny is in currently, with the dry dock being pushed back to 2013. I remember reading reviews last year saying that she needed some work already, and it has had another year of wear and tear since then.

Explorer of the Seas - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Oceanview Guarantee - 2/21/15

Past Cruises:
Disney Wonder - Cabin 7070 Deluxe Oceanview w/Verandah - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Miami, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - 11/28/14
Carnival Pride - Cabin 7170 Extended Balcony - 7 Night Bahamas - Baltimore, Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport - 3/23/14 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Imagination - Cabin U47 Interior - 4 Night Western Caribbean - Miami, Key West, and Cozumel - 5/13/13 - Photos!
Carnival Dream - Cabin 8288 Balcony - 7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean - Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya - 12/8/12 -
Review with pictures!

Carnival Paradise - Cabin U28 Oceanview - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Tampa, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel - 4/21/12 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Victory - Cabin 9227 Inside - 7 Night Southern Caribbean - San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten - 10/9/11 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Dream - Cabin 8248 Balcony - 7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean - Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya - 10/1/11 - Review with pictures!
Carnival Triumph - Cabin 6202 Inside w/Obstructed Picture Window - 5 Night Western Caribbean - New Orleans, Progreso, and Cozumel - 1/3/11 - Review / Photos
Carnival Imagination - Cabin U29 Oceanview - 4 Night Western Caribbean - Miami, Key West, and Cozumel - 12/15/08 - Review with pictures!

Old February 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

We will be going on the Paradise on 2/20 for the 5 day with two ports and two sea days, and I hope it's as good as it appears it's going to be. The Paradise is sailing today for her first cruise out of drydock. When we get back I will definitely leave a review. Tampa is not a bad area to cruise out of. It's only 45 minutes away from us, so it was almost a no brainer.

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Destiny is larger and has more balconies. Paradise and Ecstasy will be less crowded. Paradise does not have Waterworks. Pick based on what's important to you.

Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel - 3/19/09 - 3/23/09
Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean - 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 9/11/10 - 9/16/10
Carnival Legend - Exotic Western Caribbean - 7/3/11 - 7/10/11
Carnival Imagination - Bahamas - 12/28/12-12/31/12
Carnival Victory - 5 Day Western Caribbean - 3/9/13-3/14/13
Carnival Victory - 4 Day Western Caribbean -3/14/13-3/18/13
Carnival Paradise - 4 Day Western Caribbean -7/31/14-8/4/14

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

OF the three, I've only sailed on the Destiny..and loved it but cannot compare to the others you mentioned. It is newer as others have stated. It also goes to Half Moon Cay...our favorite island of all (we felt like we died and went to heaven...gorgeous sandy beach..and we rented a cabana which is the way to go there).

Good luck choosing!

NCL Southward (Nassau / San Juan/ Dominican Republic / St. Thomas)
Carnival Holiday (St. Thomas / Grand Cayman / Jamaica / Cozumel)
Royal Carribbean - Radiance of the Seas (St. Thomas / Coco Cay / St. Marten)
Carnival Destiny (Grand Turk / Half Moon Cay / Nassau)
Carnival Freedom (Key West / Grand Cayman / Jamaica)
Carnival Valor (St. Thomas / Barbados / St. Kitts / St. Lucia / St. Marten)
Carnival Breeze (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
Ruby Princess (Princess Cays, Jamaica)

UPCOMING CRUISES:

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

My daughter has been on Destiny and Elation (sister to Ecstasy) and her pick is Destiny by far. She is a 20 something that is on the go all the time. Elation wasn't big enough for her roaming. She says Destiny had more hot tubs too.

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been on all 3 ships & for the condition/modernization/refurbishment the ECSTASY WINS hands down! Great waterpark & the ship looks spotless showing almost no age! BUT only the 2ND BEST Itineray of HALF MOON CAY, Nassau, & Freeport! The buffet & main dining room were also revamped! New signage in the lido buffet as well a a very understated elegant looking main dining rooms! The Ecstay's theme is NEW YORK! Also there is an adult only "Serenity Deck" on the rear of the ship below the lido buffet!

The DESTINY has THE BEST Intineray of GRAND TURK, HALF MOON CAY, & Nassau! The ship Has been overdue for drydock, & does show her age here & there, including old tube tvs & outdated public areas BUT she is a VERY CLEAN SHIP! The huge movie screen by the pool area is awesome! I saw AVATAR while cruising the warm carrib. on a moon & star filled night, AMAZING!!!!! Dunno the exact theme but the Destiny reminds me of "OLD VEGAS" styling! NO adult only "Serenity Deck"

The PARADISE I have done 3 times from long beach so sorry I dont know the new Itinerary BUT NOTHING BEATS HALF MOON CAY! THe PARADISE is the most "Carnival CLASSIC" of the three ships! She is newer but feels more outdated then the Ecstasy in the same "FANTASY CLASS!" of ships No waterpark or updated "resort" center lido pool! Her theme is classic ocean liners! "Serenity Deck" on the rear of the ship below the lido buffet!

Last edited by luv cruising 007; February 13th, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

We ended up choosing Carnival Paradise because it worked best with the dates that we could travel and the itinerary. Even though it only visits two ports instead of three, we basically wrote off Freeport as a waste of a day and Cozumel and Grand Cayman beat out Nassau and Key West in terms of our interests.

Going back to the "big ships" for our next two though. Allure of the Seas in October and Carnival Breeze next April, with maybe a short 4-5 day in between. Still dying to go back to the Carnival Dream Western Caribbean itinerary as well.

Past Cruises:
Review with pictures!

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have sailed on the Paradise and the Ecstasy, but I prefer a bit larger ship like the Destiny. As someone mentioned earlier, I like having a balcony and those are basically junior suites on the small ships (expensive). I also just like the extra room and amenities that larger ships tend to offer. Just my 2 cents.

Carnival Paradise- 7/15/11 Baja Mexico (Los Angeles and Ensenada), 3 day
Carnival Elation
-
11/30/09 Baja Mexico (San Diego, Catalina, Ensenada) 1st cruise with the kids!!, 4 day
Carnival Elation
- 1/09 Baja Mexico (San Diego, Cabo, Ensenada), 5 day

Carnival Valor- 7/05 Eastern Caribbean- Inaugural Season (Nassau, St. Thomas/St. John, St. Martin), 7 day
Carnival Ecstasy- 3/04 Baja Mexico (Los Angeles, Catalina & Ensenada), 4 day