Daily Log, Explorer of the Seas, Jan. 16-27

We're just trying to make sure the ship is ship-shape for us.:)

I'm glad to see your definition of "the younger crowd". 34 here.;)

There always seems to be some sort of MDR snag. As long as the food is good and they have plenty of those little rolls with the seeds, all is right with the world.:D

Those little rolls are Savory Bites. Love them!!!

If you get a chance to talk to the Cruise Director is Jimmy Rhodes, can you ask him if he will be onboard for the February 27th sailing and if not who will be the cruise director then.

Thanks

Jimbo:)

Would love to know who will be the CD for the March 9th cruise as well.

Have been on Explorer twice already and will be again in March and have been enjoying reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to do this

Hello,

Just seen on Facebook that the Explorer has been delayed until Saturday into Cape Liberty because of a medical emergency:( Hope the person will be ok.

It is also posted on their website....prayers to the person and their family.

Gail

Comet Cruiser

Indeed, it was announced this morning that there was not one but TWO medical emergencies so serious that we have turned around and are proceeding full speed ahead back to Puerto Rico, where we will be met by Coast Guard helicopters for a medical evaluation at about 5pm today.

Sorry for those of you who are (or were) getting on the ship upon our return; it seems you may lose a day from your cruise. We will not be back in port in Bayonne until Saturday, Jan. 28, at about 10:00 am. Right now staff are scrambling to come up with an extra day's activities (for instance, today's spin class was canceled and moved to Friday at the same time) and steps are being taken to provide those who need to communicate with airlines, hotels, family members, babysitters, etc., etc.

Also, it seems that there is a new captain. No information about this, just the announcement this morning came from a new captain. I wonder who will be in the captain's photos at formal tonight (if anyone)? I'll keep you posted on any developments.

I do have another detailed post to add, but I'll do that later; just wanted to update this board for anyone reading along with friends or family on this sailing, or for those on the upcoming sailing whose departure may be delayed and their cruise affected in some way or another.

Our thoughts are with those onboard who are so ill that we must make this deviation. While we are happy to have an extra sea day in warmer waters, and we don't have too many problems due to the change in plan, since we return on a Saturday (I'm sure others have been more seriously affected), we are very concerned that two people are in such bad straits that this change was necessary.

More later,

-D

Captain's update right now as I am typing: US helicopter en route right now from Puerto Rico, will rendezvous with us in one hour (about 4pm) so helicopter can approach and airlift patient and one of the ship's nurses to safety. Process should take about 30 minutes, after which we head back towards Bayonne. Oh, just learned that the fitness center and all forward areas will be closed during this operation -- that's why my clsas was canceled!

Thank you for the update Denise!! We are scheduled to board on Friday [now Saturday]. It looks like boarding is suppose to be late on Saturday for us with departure in the evening. Boarding is scheduled up to 6pm.

Please continue to update ships expected arrival time if possible. Thank you so much!

Captain's update right now as I am typing: US helicopter en route right now from Puerto Rico, will rendezvous with us in one hour (about 4pm) so helicopter can approach and airlift patient and one of the ship's nurses to safety. Process should take about 30 minutes, after which we head back towards Bayonne. Oh, just learned that the fitness center and all forward areas will be closed during this operation -- that's why my clsas was canceled!

Same thing happened our cruise. Had to turn back south towards PR to meet Coast Guard helicopter. Met up with the helicopter at about 10 PM.

Like you said, all outside decks were closed, so you really did not get to see the operation.

Afterwards, it was full speed ahead to Bayonne. Took us about 4 hours heading south, so I would estimate caused us to lose 8 hours, but Captain Olav got into Bayonne just about on scheduled time, 8:01 AM.

thanks Denise...I knew you'd have info for us here at CC land....

yes, when i was on EX and they had a MedEvac, decks were closed...but we were able to see the helicopter, plane and boat that the USCG sent out...it was pretty neat to watch, even from afar....

Thanks for letting us know. It sounds to me like the captain might be one of the ones who is sick?

We own a travel agency, and this has been the best way to get info. We didn't know this happened until our clients who are due to travel on the next cruise called us to say they had gotten a phone call.

Now, at least, we have an intelligent answer to give.

Thank you.

Thank you Denise for taking time to give us detailed information as to why the Explorer will be delayed, I too will be on the next sailing.

My thoughts and prayers are with the ill.

Edited by cruz4evr

Empress, thanks so much, not only for your thoughtful, detailed posts, but for the updates. I'm sure there's alot of activity onboard now, not to mention huge quantities of speculation and rumor. We on the next sailing are eagerly anticipating our next tidbit of real information from someone who is there, as we wait an extra day to embark. :(

RCL is being particularly tight-lipped about everything, so the rumors are going berserk!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I won't be on the EOS but reading your posts still makes me that much more ready for my Voyager cruise.

Question: Was there some kind of limit on letters or number of words for the announcement you put in cruise critic? I wouldn't mind doing something like that for my sister, since she suggested a "sisters only" cruise for my 50th birthday.

Observation: Yes indeed it does sound as if the Captain is one of the ones ill. I wish them both a speedy recovery.

How does it sound like the captain is ill?

Did I miss something?

This was stated above.....

Also, it seems that there is a new captain. No information about this, just the announcement this morning came from a new captain. I wonder who will be in the captain's photos at formal tonight (if anyone)? I'll keep you posted on any developments.

from empress' statement: "Also, it seems that there is a new captain. No information about this, just the announcement this morning came from a new captain. I wonder who will be in the captain's photos at formal tonight (if anyone)? I'll keep you posted on any developments."

EmpressofPurple

Could you give us the name of the original 1st captain and that of the 2nd new captain.

Thanks