IE 2013 useful info "3" plus some nonsense.

Rebel Rouser

Well here we go boys and Girls...the end of the Island Escape Season is nearly upon us..what memories do you have from 2012 and what are you looking forward to in 2013?

For me 2012 brought us some new friends who we met on the good ship Island Escape..you know who you are ;)

And a lesson :eek: this last cruise as we booked late 3 weeks before sailing we had an inside cabin..we were slightly concerned as normally we always had an inside cabin, but fear not we really enjoyed it....no noise and it was nice being constantly dark as I slept in late all days.

Also we normally book last week in June 1st week July but this next year we have to book late as it's the witches 80th birthday :D so 2/7/13 is booked and firmly marked in my Diary.

For those that have met me...not really a "Rebel" am I :p

RR <<<< not Ross Roberts

Hi Dunribbin, pleased that you find our posts informative and that you are on your maiden voyage on Tuesday.

Watch out for the daily deals on board, like day at sea cheap cigarettes (I don't smoke) but I think they were like £3.50 per packet also around the bars there are 2 for the price of 1 bottles of beer.

Oasis A la carte Restaurant Dine 2 nights and get the 3rd night free @ £14.99 PP

Also watch out for the Cabin Stewards that keep your cabin very very clean 4 times a day..we had fun with ours as every day he left our Towels brilliantly made up into different animals...we re arranged them to do something different and the games began :D

Made this one up with my reading glasses reading a mag ?

P1020249.jpg

Edited by Rebel Rouser

Hi Dunnribbin,

We normally do our own thing as the cost helps fund the next cruise but have copied and pasted 1 from Ekco and 2 from Jenny Wren

If you are thinking of diy-ing Rome for the Vatican and Sistine Chapel I would advise you to book tickets in advance from the Vatican website as the queues are enormous, even at 9.30am (up to 2 hours). Remember it will be extremely hot, up to 35 degrees so don't try and do too much as there can be a lot of walking. I would do a search on Thomson forum for more info as that's where most of the relevant posts are. I did a post last week on the Rome Express thread about the trip we did which although expensive at £82 wasn't that much more that going on the train, paying for tickets and a guided tour, lunch with wine and a coach tour around a lot of the historic sites. Remember, a Ho-Ho bus is about 20 euros each, entrance fees around 15 euros, etc., etc. Also, a lot of people that go on the train do tend to start back a bit too early so as not to miss the ship departure and these trains will be extremely busy if there is more than one cruise ship in port. I believe that there is a good 10 minute walk to the platform at St Peters station which you will have to factor in if you leave from there. If you are just doing the historic sites then the train would be good but, again, I think you can book tickets for the paid ones online. I doubt if you will be able to do the Vatican and the historic sites as we spent two and a half hours in the Vatican, museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peters and could have spent all day there.

If you want to diy to Rome I would suggest either do the Collosseum, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps OR the Vatican I think it would be too much to do all in one day ...unless you just want a quick look from outside....we did the Vatican area on our last trip (a month ago) and had a good look around ....we got our tickets on the day and queued for half an hour ...although it looked a huge queue it did move quickly....it would be better to get tickets in advance online.

I'm not sure kids would be that interested in the Vatican so probably the other option would be better... although it is quite a way to walk unless you do the HOHO bus option.

Got shuttle to port gate and it is 5-10 minute walk along sea front to station....We caught the train (bought tickets on day) which is 9 euros return per person (remember to validate each ticket in yellow machine on wall in ticket hall) and covers the Metro and ordinary Buses (not the HOHO)

The long walk to the platform for Civitavecchia is actually Terminii station...St Peters is Platform 5 and not too far to walk. the Metro is really easy to understand as there are only two lines (if you can understand London Underground its a doddle !!)

From Livorno I would definitely do an organised excursion if you want to go to Florence ....we have done a trip where you just had coach to Florence then did your own thing meeting at the coach for the return journey. It is not so straightforward to catch the train from here and not really enough time to do it in a day.

RR

Edited by Rebel Rouser

We did the Florence On Your Own trip as well where you get the coach into Florence with a guide who gives you goods advice and a map. The map looks a bit basic but is really very accurate. We were dropped off at the far end of the station and walked through as a group to the square nearby. Then you split us and go where you like and meet back later. As most of the sights are in a half mile radius this trip is a good one and we saw everything we wanted. We had around 6 hours which flew by. If you negotiate to the statue of David you will find a pallazzo behind and for around 7 or 8 euros you can spend as long as you like exploring the palace with fantastic views over Florence, also there are toilet facilities in there which is very welcom.

As for Rome we did a full day trip by coach which seems a bit expensive at 80 something pounds but did include lunch and entrance fees to the Vatican. We were dropped off and went straight to the front of a very long queue that stretched the whole way around the block. There we picked up a guide and headsets and were taken into the Vatican, museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peters. We had more than 2 hours there, then lunch and finally a tour by coach around all the sites but no opportunity to get off the coach. All in all we thought it was good value but now we've found our feet we would probably go for the train next time. If you do a search on YouTube for Rome from Civittavecchia there is a video that shows the route from the ship to the station and how to get tickets, etc.:)

Jan

Edited by ekco

Thanks ekco after thinking about it we have decided to do the organised trips as we need to find our feet.

That's just what we thought re. Rome but Florence is a lot smaller to cope with and to be honest with it just being the day after we felt we were organized out with tour guides and it was lovely just to go at our own pace and wander hither and thither. The guides are great but they do talk a lot and there's only so much you can absorb. We grabbed a couple of apples, bananas and buns from breakfast which saw us through the day as we thought stopping for lunch would eat into our time and that worked out well as we got coffee later near the station. Next time we would head for the galleries. Whatever you do in Florence be careful as, even though we didn't see it, I believe there are a lot of pickpockets there so don't take more money than you need or valuables, passports, etc.:)

Jan

Ok just as we have made our minds up we might change. will post when we get back.

Thanks again for all the info.

I didn't know you were going so soon. Have a nice time.:)

Jan

I think with 7 hours to go was a bit of a give away in the countdown timer :D

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit! and I should know.

:D Anyway, I didn't see you spotting it and wishing bon voyage. So there.:p

Jan

Dear girl..when have you known me to be sarcastic :D

I love it when you call me girl.:D:D:D;)

Say nothing more!

Have the swallows flown south for the winter?

Jan

Edited by ekco

My pleasure.;) Welcome back.

Missing Mo, where is she? Lurking?:D

Jan

Aw! thanks Jan! Yeah your right - I'm lurking! :o

Don't have anything booked for next year yet but do hope to be cruising. With the drinks package included now I don't suppose there will be any cheaper deals.

Hope you are all well. :D