what to see in barcelona

esimon

Take a cab to see La Sagrada and if you have energy Las Ramblas as well, would be my two stops.

Pre cruise time in Barcelona -- we'll be tired and not have but a few hours - any 'must see' things - or you should try this??

What about La Bouqeria? Is this worth a look see? We will be in Barcelona for one full day (tired from a long overnight flight) and also hope to spend a few hours the next morning prior to boarding the ship mid-day.

Yes...La Bouqueria is located in the middle of Las Ramblas can't miss it, the entrance is right next to Dunkin Donuts...great fruit smoothies..worth a walk through !!!!

Take a cab to see La Sagrada and if you have energy Las Ramblas as well, would be my two stops.

Yes...La Bouqueria is located in the middle of Las Ramblas can't miss it, the entrance is right next to Dunkin Donuts...great fruit smoothies..worth a walk through !!!!

Thanks. So arriving at 8:30 am with plans to drop our bags at hotel and jump on the HoHo bus to make our way around. With a couple of hours the second day. For La Bouqueria, Las Ramblas, LaSagrada and hopefully Park Guell, which one should we see first and which would be best in the early morning the second day.? How much time should we allow for each place?

Thanks. So arriving at 8:30 am with plans to drop our bags at hotel and jump on the HoHo bus to make our way around. With a couple of hours the second day. For La Bouqueria, Las Ramblas, LaSagrada and hopefully Park Guell, which one should we see first and which would be best in the early morning the second day.? How much time should we allow for each place?

All of that in a couple of hours?? I guess you can if you just see the Sagrada Familia and Parque Guell from the taxi.

All of that in a couple of hours?? I guess you can if you just see the Sagrada Familia and Parque Guell from the taxi.

Goodness no. :) We are arriving one day ahead of our sail date. So we have a full day and night (as long as we can hold out) and then we have a few hours the next morning before heading to the ship terminal.

It depends.

The Sangrada Familia can be seen quickly (15 - 20 minutes,) but if you really want to view the details or go to the top it can take much longer.

It takes 30 minutes or so to stroll the length of Ramblas.

If you have time, I would add the Gaudi Apartments and the Picasso Museum. And, if you do not mind walking, there are some good free walking tours. Last year we took the Travel Bar walking tour the day we arrived for our cruise and the Runner Bean Gaudi tour after the cruise. There is no charge for these tours. You just tip the guide whatever you think the tour was worth. Here are the URLs for these tours.

http://www.travelbar.com/es/free-walking-tour/

http://www.runnerbeantours.com/

The Hop-on Hop-off bus takes a while to get places; however I always enjoy looking at the architecture you pass by.

It depends.

The Sangrada Familia can be seen quickly (15 - 20 minutes,) but if you really want to view the details or go to the top it can take much longer.

It takes 30 minutes or so to stroll the length of Ramblas.

If you have time, I would add the Gaudi Apartments and the Picasso Museum. And, if you do not mind walking, there are some good free walking tours. Last year we took the Travel Bar walking tour the day we arrived for our cruisee and the Runner Bean Gaudi tour after the cruise. There is no charge for these tours. You just tip the guide whatever you think the tour was worth. Here are the URLs for these tours.

http://www.travelbar.com/es/free-walking-tour/

http://www.runnerbeantours.com/

The Hop-on Hop-off bus takes a while to get places; however I always enjoy looking at the architecture you pass by.

What about La Bouqeria? Is this worth a look see? We will be in Barcelona for one full day (tired from a long overnight flight) and also hope to spend a few hours the next morning prior to boarding the ship mid-day

Great questions - We are doing the same thing -- in on 4/29 for a 4/30 sailing -- our TA told us about a park near the hotel that we should see also -

Walking around Barcelona is actually easier then may seem when you read blogs and guides. Everyone should certainly take a stroll on the Ramblas (the first few blocks from the Columbus Statute are the most interesting). If you start at the base (near the water and Columbus Statute) you will find the entrance to the huge market (La Bouqueria) on your left as you walk up the Ramblas. So you simply walk inside and stroll up and down a few of the aisles where you will find every type of food you can imagine. Come back out and continue up the Ramblas for a few more blocks and then make a right turn and walk a few blocks over to the Gothic Quarter where you can reverse course (head back towards the water) and explore this important part of the city. If you are interested in Picasso there is a decent museum in thie neighborood. As some point you should go over to see Sagrada Familia (it takes me about 45 min to walk there from the Ramblas) which you can do by using the Metro, taking a very long walk, or simply grabbing a taxi (they are everywhere). There are many more things to see and do in this city...not to mention some interesting day trips for those spending a few days. The HoHo bus is not very helpful for walking on the Ramblas or in the Gothic Quarter and makes little sense if you just want to get transportation from point A to point B (ie the Ramblas to Sagrada Familia). The HoHo is somewhat expensive and we have often seen folks waiting more then a half hour for the next HoHo (and sometimes they are full so you have to wait for the next one). We think the HoHo is great for folks that have mobility problems, but otherwise you would probably do better to simply walk, use public transit and carry some kind of guide book (Rick Steves has some good walking tour info in his book).

Hank

On day 1 why not hop on/off at La Sagrada and the Park.

Good idea...but buy tickets for La Sagrada Familia online in advance. The lines to get inside are usually long. But, then, it might depend on your energy level after the long flight. We didn't really sleep on the plane, and traveling from the West Coast to Barcelona was a little rough. We spent three days in Barcelona pre-cruise and the first day, we were pretty wiped out. We waited until we had some sleep to go to La Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell -- lots of walking there. Have a great time! Loved Barcelona.

I know I can google this, but you people are so much quicker and more informative. Do we need a cab or can we walk?

If it's walkable, start me in front of the Columbus statue facing La Ramblas.

Thanks.

and how far is Rey Juan Carlos hotel from the Columbus Statue?? Thanks to all the world travelers LOL

I was in Barceloba last summer. I did oodles of research and was excited to walk on Las Ramblas and visit La Bouqueria. When I finally got to these places, I was very underwhelmed. I spent very little time at each. (Bouqueria is the same stalls over and over again...spent 15 minutes there if that)

Gaudi, on the other hand, is amazing. Definitely make some time to check out Sagrada Familia. (Get there early if you want to go inside) Park Guell is also pretty neat. I also went to one of the Gaudi apartments (forget which one but it was also pretty neat)

Do your research. Make a list of places that interest you and go from there. Good luck!

and how far is Rey Juan Carlos hotel from the Columbus Statue?? Thanks to all the world travelers LOL

I had never heard of this hotel so I googled it. Are you sure you want to stay there? Its way out of the way. I would say it would take you at least an hour to walk to the Columbus statue, maybe 20 mins by car. If I were you I would reconsider, you're totally removed from any of the sites.

Goodness no. :) We are arriving one day ahead of our sail date. So we have a full day and night (as long as we can hold out) and then we have a few hours the next morning before heading to the ship terminal.

I know, but you were saying that on your second day you were going to do a bunch of things in "a couple of hours", That's what I was referring to. Seemed like very optimistic, unless "a couple of hours" means at least 4 -5 hrs.

Both are good choices. Beware of gypsies and pick pockets in both locations. The one day in two weeks I don't wear a money belt I had my pocket picked at Sagrada Familia. Wallet was in front pocket of snug pants. Incredibly skilled, those buggers.

Everybody missed the most import thing, TAPAS and SANGRIA, many geat resturants and tapas bars just pick one enjoy

We've seen most of Barcelona on tours, so relaxing, Tapas and Sangria before our cruise sounds great!

Pardon my ignorance, but how does the Tapas thing work? Do you just go into a restaurant and order an appetizer (is that the tapas?)......

Please fill me in.

I love Sangria too!!

Archived