disembarkation Port everglades

Former Goalie

We will be sailing on Eurodam from Port Everglades soon. We have a 2:20 PM flight out of Miami after we leave the ship. Obviously, there will be no time crunch making that flight. Thus, we will be in no hurry to leave the ship. We will have a car service picking us up. As I want to advise the service what time to pick us up, when should I tell them to be there, after immigration, etc. Again, we would like to leisurely leave the ship (knowing that disembarkation day generally isn't too leisurely).

Thanks in advance for any advice you might might be able to give!

We will be sailing on Eurodam from Port Everglades soon. We have a 2:20 PM flight out of Miami after we leave the ship. Obviously, there will be no time crunch making that flight. Thus, we will be in no hurry to leave the ship. We will have a car service picking us up. As I want to advise the service what time to pick us up, when should I tell them to be there, after immigration, etc. Again, we would like to leisurely leave the ship (knowing that disembarkation day generally isn't too leisurely).

They usually want people cleared from their cabins by 8AM for the stewards to prep for the next cruise . The last group is usually scheduled for 9AM.

Schedule for about 9:30 AM.

You cannot know in advance exactly what time you will exit the terminal after clearing CBP and all the car services in South Florida know this. Give them the guideline as to what you hope will be the time but no one can promise just what time the ship will be cleared, when guests will start disembarking and how long it will take to clear CBP Inspection. I agree 9:30 A.M. is a reasonable estimate as to what time.

Edited by sail7seas

When we got off Eurodam last month, we were the first group after self carry and excursions. We were called to get off about 8:40 and found our luggage very fast.

However......there were only two agents working and we waited in line till almost 9:30. The queue was less than half full when we got in line and was completely full by the time we were through, so those had over an hour wait, probably 90 minutes.

9:30 might be too early if you are not in the first group.

Have a leisurely breakfast on your verandah via Room Service or in the Lido. HAL says they want us off the ship not later than 9:15 - 9:30am.

Depending on how long the Customs/Immigration line is, it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2+ hours to clear. 20 minutes is about the time for Handicapped in Wheel Chairs and or scooters take as we are taken straight to the head of the line.

As I said, it depends on Customs/Immigration because most times they have only allocated 2 Officers to clear the HAL Ship:(

We generally leave the ship around 9:15 and are at the Taxi stand by 10am. BUT I am Handicapped so my times are not the average.

Friends of ours disembarking at the same time as we did the last 2 cruises out of Pt Everglades took nearly 2 hours.

You have to decide for yourself what you want to chance.... Later or earlier and not so leisurely.

Keep in mind Interstate traffic congestion, i.e., Interstate closed because of really bad accident.... Major sporting event.........

All in all though, I think you should have no problem disembarking at say 9:15. Planning on 1 hour possibly for Customs..........

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
fixing typos

We were on the Eurodam last October.

Disembarkation went very slooooooow.

There were only 2 agents on duty. Sunday's are very hectic as there are usually 6 - 7 ships in port on that day.

You will get a form to fill out about day 2 concerning your disembarkation plans. It would be your advantage to talk to someone at the front office and explain that you are flying out of Miami and have arranged a car service to pick you up. They will be able to advise you how to complete that form so that you get off the ship in plenty of time to get to Miami.

Disembarkment from Eurodam on Jan. 14th was a nightmare. Since I was not flying out after the cruise, I got one of the later times to disembark. There was much confusion near the exit area. Seems there was only two immigration agents on duty which caused the back-up of people disembarking. I, along with others I knew from the cruise, disembarked before our time since everything was running very late, we simply told the lady at the exit point we were whatever color she was calling. Once off the ship and getting my luggage, the line to go through immigration was nine lines long, each being say 150 feet long. Just before getting to the end, they opened another station of immigration officers. Since you are doing a private car service, I would figure 10:00 am or later.

Our time for disembarkation last month on the Zuiderdam was 8:45... due to a back-up and few customs officers we weren't called until 9:30. Since we have Global Entry cards we were able to walk right thru and outside the terminal in 15 minutes. There was a huge line of several hundred in the regular customs line.

Wow! You never can tell can you. We docked in Ft Lauderdale on Jan 4th on Amsterdam. We expected a long line at customs but were pleasantly surprised. From ship to taxi was about 15 minutes. I guess we lucked out as at the bottom of the escalators we found a porter and it took 10 seconds to find our luggage. We were in line less than 5 minutes and the porter whisked us right out to the cab stand.

Since we live in Florida we just said anytime was fine with us. We were most likely about the 5th or 6th color to leave. WE were off the ship by 9 am after stopping at the hotel for our car we were on route 585 heading west by 9:30 at the latest.

BTW -what is with the people hanging around the hallway to the exit door. When the elevator took us from deck 5 to deck two (or what ever the deck is) we thought it was a line and had trouble getting off the elevator. Come to find out it's people waiting in the hallway for their colors to be called. I think the staff should have sent them back down the hall or to another floor. The whole hallway was clogged with these people. If there were a fire it would have been terrible. I have asked myself. Why stand in a hallway and not sit comfortably in a lounge somewhere? Sometimes you just have to wonder.

We also had an easy disembarkation on January 4th, and think that because it was a Monday, that had something to do with it since there were far fewer ships in port that day than a weekend day. It is one of the reasons I chose that HAL itinerary over those that returned on Saturday or Sunday.

We will be flying out of MIA> What service do you use? We have never had good luck with taxis in FLL in general. Thanks, Tom

We agree (based on a lot of experience) with the 9:30 time. And if the OP has a cell phone that works in the USA, it is also a good idea to trade cell phone numbers with the transfer service/driver. That way you can call them if you are going to be delayed and have a way to reach them if you somehow cannot find your driver.

Hank

Disembarkment from Eurodam on Jan. 14th was a nightmare. Since I was not flying out after the cruise, I got one of the later times to disembark. There was much confusion near the exit area. Seems there was only two immigration agents on duty which caused the back-up of people disembarking. I, along with others I knew from the cruise, disembarked before our time since everything was running very late, we simply told the lady at the exit point we were whatever color she was calling. Once off the ship and getting my luggage, the line to go through immigration was nine lines long, each being say 150 feet long. Just before getting to the end, they opened another station of immigration officers. Since you are doing a private car service, I would figure 10:00 am or later.

Did I read this right? :confused:

You weren't flying after the cruise?

You had a later number because you didn't have to catch a flight?

You chose to tell the person at the exit you had a color other than what you were issued?

You went before you were supposed to go?

There were those with the number currently being called, who probably had to catch a flight, but they had to wait because a group of friends went before they were supposed to?

Those folks may have missed their flight because they had to wait even longer?

Surely I am mistaken?

If I'm not mistaken, Why would a group do that?

Did I read this right? :confused:

You weren't flying after the cruise?

You had a later number because you didn't have to catch a flight?

You chose to tell the person at the exit you had a color other than what you were issued?

You went before you were supposed to go?

There were those with the number currently being called, who probably had to catch a flight, but they had to wait because a group of friends went before they were supposed to?

Those folks may have missed their flight because they had to wait even longer?

Surely I am mistaken?

If I'm not mistaken, Why would a group do that?

It's a me me world. I've seen it happen before on my cruises. Hal should stop these people by asking for there luggage coloured stub.

We always leave the ship in first group after the 'self-debark' people and because of that, we always have to show our tag. They always checked to be sure we were, indeed, supposed to be in that group.

We will be flying out of MIA> What service do you use? We have never had good luck with taxis in FLL in general. Thanks, Tom

We have used and will use Holland Limousine.

Probably the worst experience I had was in FLL. We arrived late - probably 9:30 PM. There were 4 of us, we just wanted to get a cab as quickly as possible. We saw one cabbie floating around, we hailed him, and got in. He was very vague on how much it would cost to take us to our hotel. I got really spooked (rightly so), and left the cab. I really think this guy was an unregistered, rogue, taxi service. We went to where the cab stand was and got a real taxi service, with a meter. Lesson learned, and this can serve as a heads up for others at FLL.

We always leave the ship in first group after the 'self-debark' people and because of that, we always have to show our tag. They always checked to be sure we were, indeed, supposed to be in that group.

I've seen security tell people to step aside when they showed the wrong coloured tags. I'm a rule follower but I've gotten out without showing my tag.