Acapulco suggestions?

daryleann

It has been many years since we were in Acapulco, and now the postings are saying it is too dangerous to get off the ship.

We will be there March 9.

Does anyone have recent info on what to see while there? Have seen the divers several times so something else, please. [if it were not safe, the ships would not go there - that is my opinion.]

Thanks in advance!

Let me start by saying that DW and I have spent our last 10 winters living here in Puerto Vallarta and really love our time in Mexico. However, Acapulco is a place we would no longer choose to visit (we have been their previously). As far as we know, very few cruise ships now stop at Acapulco (because of safety concerns) and other than 2 smaller ships (Regent and Oceania) we are not aware of any upcoming port calls.

If you are going to leave the main tourist area it might be best to use a ship's tour (we personally dislike ship excursions but this might be one of those exceptions). This quote from the US Department of State might be helpful:

"In general, the popular tourist area of Diamante, just south of the city, has been less affected by violence. Any activity outside the hotel zone for U.S. government personnel is limited to the coastal area from La Quebrada to the beginning of the hotel zone and only during daylight hours."

Hank

Why would the ship even go to Acapulco if not safe? We were to go to Casablanca one cruise and they cancelled it due to 'some unrest' but reinstated it the next week. If Acapulco is habitually unsafe, why would we even stop there?:confused:

Why would the ship even go to Acapulco if not safe? We were to go to Casablanca one cruise and they cancelled it due to 'some unrest' but reinstated it the next week. If Acapulco is habitually unsafe, why would we even stop there?:confused:

You ask an excellent question. And we would respond with why does just about every other major cruise line avoid that port? And we recall another post on CC about a cruise ship that once stopped at Acapulco with the cruise line not even suggesting folks take their own excursions.

So what is the truth? Not sure. If DW and I were to be in Acapulco tomorrow (and we are comfortable in Mexico living here 2 months a year) we would probably go off on our own, but limit our travel to a few very safe tourist areas. We would be very hesitant to simply jump in a local taxi and say "please give us a tour of the city." But we are sure that others that know Mexico better then moi will disagree.

Hank

We have stopped at Acapulco twice in the last two years on NCL ships. The port was a stop on a Panama Canal cruise. We made a trip out to a turtle release area on one of the stops and made a city tour and harbor glass bottom boat tour on the other stop.

The city tour included the sculpture Diego Riviera made at his lover's house plus the Flamingo Hotel and the Casa Blanco Hotel lookout. The mural on the second floor of the Casa Blanco was also done by Diego Rivera.

The Harbor tour on a glass bottom boat was interesting but the narration was all in

Spanish. The price was very low and it took us out to an underwater statue near the harbor entrance , then to a restaurant in the same area with a nice small beach. We could get off and spend some time, then catch another boat back to the point where we boarded. A couple of the teenage boys gave us a diving exhibition from the rocks for tips.

We felt the daylight hours were safe, but we didn't spend the evening or go out after dark.

The taxi and van drivers are aware of the areas of the city to avoid.

Edited by swedish weave

Could you point us to info on the turtle release and underwater boat tour?

thanks!

We were a group of eight people and asked a van driver outside the terminal building where we could do the turtle release. He took us a few miles out of town to a place that does it. Keep in mind that the turtle hatch is seasonal, so may not occur when you are there.

There are two glass bottom boat operations in the city. One has double deck boats that sell tickets about a half block from the main downtown intersection along the waterfront walkway. It is about three or four blocks from the cruise terminal.

The other operates single deck boats from the old pier in the older section of the city a few blocks from the Flamingo Hotel. You can take a taxi or bus to that pier.

Edited by swedish weave

• 2 weeks later...
Interested in this too.

The last time we had a port stop in Acapulco some years ago we were discouraged from getting off the ship and all excursions through the ship were cancelled (safety issues).

Hoping things are better there now.

Things are even worse now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3464121/Now-Mexico-drugs-gangsters-ride-beach-JET-SKIS-blasting-victims-death-James-Bond-style-execution-Acapulco-12-murders-DAY-648-year.html

318DDEB800000578-3464121-Operation_It_was_over_so_quickly_and_I_m_not_just_talking_about_-a-21_1456506476862.jpg

A little late to this thread and quite some time since posting on CC but I've just wrapped up a terrific 2 week vacation and would not hesitate ever in returning. As a matter of fact this is the 10th straight year that my wife and I have visited and till 2 years ago we had taken our daughter's as well.

They are too old now to hang with mom and dad lol. Aca has its issues and they won't dissappear tomorrow BUT do leave the ship there is so much to experience we still do so many touristy things.

After the papal visit the federal police returned to there Acapulco duties of protecting the population and of course the tourists. I've seen soldiers since the late 1980'S and I say good morning to them every morning to smiles.

This is a terrific port of call the USD is so strong now and the cost of dining out for a US traveler is wonderful. Unlike other Mexican resort cities Acapulco caters to its nationals not alot of foreign tourist like Cancun, PV and so many others that will raise there prices to compensate for the strong dollar.

In 2 weeks in a high end restaurant my most costly dinner for 2 was about 51 USD plus tip. And cheapest about 20 bucks lol. Wonderful people who are eager to please.

Anyone coming in who wants a good dinner spot Terra Luna right on the golf course is out of this world. I don't check in much here but trip advisor is a great spot as well for reliable Aca news as well.

Things are even worse now:

Most of the problems in Acapulco are between the cartels struggling for power and do not involve tourists.

It would be a shame to miss the many attractions of this city because of fear. I have not heard of any problems that have caused harm to tourists or cruise passengers.

• 8 months later...
We used Roberto Alarcon who took us on safe tours of Acapulco - I'm sure he'd set up something for the day for you or you can contact him and see what he advises you to do.

Thanks for suggesting Roberto!

We booked a private tour with him in October to celebrate our anniversary & it was an absolutely AMAZING day!

Juli