Petra dress code

chloe kitty

We visited last April the captain told us to wrap up as it was going to be cold. I thought what does he know Im from the uk and used to the cold. I went in my jeans and tshirt , Well it was cold when we got off the bus at a viewing point I could see my own breath, I was frozen all day and it snowed on the way back.

If you go remember it is high up in the mountains and could be cold (hopefully it will be warm)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Bacardi..

We visited last April the captain told us to wrap up as it was going to be cold. I thought what does he know Im from the uk and used to the cold. I went in my jeans and tshirt , Well it was cold when we got off the bus at a viewing point I could see my own breath, I was frozen all day and it snowed on the way back.

If you go remember it is high up in the mountains and could be cold (hopefully it will be warm)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, very important to understand the difference between summer & winter in Petra.

Sounds like Chloe is going in summer, so no worries.

But this is the high desert - and in winter it can be balmy in Aqaba but snowing in Petra.

So for October to April, take warm clothes. If it turns out to be warm when you get there, you can just leave them on the bus.

JB :)

JB is right but it's nt just that.

I have been there in April two different times.

One time it was sunny and hot.

Other time it was windy and cloudy and cool.

So not just the month but as we find in many places the weather is not the same year over year or even day to day.

By the way, it gave us a different perspective.

You will see different colors as you walk depending on whether it is sunny or cloudy.

And the experience is different. It's a bit easier if it isn't so hot.

Keith

Petra is at 2657 feet altitude, which means that under normal circumstances with dry air, the temperature there would be about 13-14 degrees F cooler than at sea level. Of course, this does not factor in wind chill or clouds that may form over that area/altitude.

As they say, best to dress in layers. :)

For more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapse_rate

Edited by notjaded
Clarification

Again, we've been there the same time of year and the weather has been different.

It can be hot and it can be cool in April.

Not that much different than other places we have visited.

It's best to check out the weather the day you will be visiting.

Keith

Again, we've been there the same time of year and the weather has been different.

It can be hot and it can be cool in April.

Not that much different than other places we have visited.

It's best to check out the weather the day you will be visiting.

Keith

Yep, the weather versus climate conundrum, Keith.

Monthly averages are one thing, but weather on the day can be very different. :rolleyes:

Petra's average in April is 25C, but Bacardi's post kinda proves the point that averages count for nothing.

And we were there in February, noticeably cooler than Aqaba but definitely t-shirt & shorts weather, yet the previous week it had been snowing!

Yesterday it was 26C. Tomorrow is forecast to be 16C.

Almost everyone goes by Petra by tour bus, just a few by taxi hired for the day, and there's no useable public transport.

So it's easy to take something warm & decide when you get to Petra whether to leave it on the bus.

No wind-chill factor, and altho nights can be cold the temperature is the least of your worries if you get left behind :D

JB on a related note this is one of those places that I highly recommend do a tour by themselves or in a very small group.

In our case we have booked a tour through our cruise line that the first time was just for my wife and myself and two other times were for us and one other couple.

We had a driver and tour guide who narrated to and from Petra and then once we arrived to Petra they arranged for us to have one of the local guides take us around.

It was so much better because we could go at whatever pace we wanted so we covered much more ground, and we had the full attention of the tour guide with no distractions. On top of this we arrived to Petra before most people so that was nice too.

We don't like to waste time with lunch so we brought a boxed lunch from the ship which we ate on the way back. Of course as you know the local town does have lots of restaurants.

I want to go back again. So much to see. One of my most favorite places.

Keith

JB on a related note this is one of those places that I highly recommend do a tour by themselves or in a very small group.

In our case we have booked a tour through our cruise line that the first time was just for my wife and myself and two other times were for us and one other couple.

We had a driver and tour guide who narrated to and from Petra and then once we arrived to Petra they arranged for us to have one of the local guides take us around.

It was so much better because we could go at whatever pace we wanted so we covered much more ground, and we had the full attention of the tour guide with no distractions. On top of this we arrived to Petra before most people so that was nice too.

We don't like to waste time with lunch so we brought a boxed lunch from the ship which we ate on the way back. Of course as you know the local town does have lots of restaurants.

I want to go back again. So much to see. One of my most favorite places.

Keith

Hi Keith,

As you know we always like to do our own thing.

Sometimes it works out better than others.

Petra was one of the "others" :D

We lined up a taxi at half the cost of ship's coach excursion.

But when we got to Petra we were staggered by the entrance fee. It swallowed everything we'd saved except for a pound.

So we ended up with a total saving of just £1.

Ship's excursion included lunch in a 5 star hotel.

Ours included a muddy cup of roadside coffee.

Some you win........... :rolleyes: