Waterproof Camera

I had a quick scan and saw nothing so. Can anyone recommend a compact waterproof camera that won't break the bank. I'd also like it to take decent out of water pics too so I don't have to take two cameras on days with water activities. Many thanks. H

Olympus makes some good rugged models, including some that can be used under water. I would look there.

Sorry, no 1st hand experience though.

I had a quick scan and saw nothing so. Can anyone recommend a compact waterproof camera that won't break the bank. I'd also like it to take decent out of water pics too so I don't have to take two cameras on days with water activities. Many thanks. H

A friend that we cruise has an Olympus underwater camera and he took some great photos with both underwater and above. His model is now discontinued. I ordered an Olympus Stylus Tough TG-860 online for $279. It was just delivered yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but so far I really like it. It has built-in GPS for geo tagging your pictures and built-in WiFi for connecting to your smart phone and it is waterproof to fifty feet. You might want to check that one out.

I cannot recommend the Kodak D20. It took really good pictures but after using it in the water about the 10th time, it became waterlogged and died (many, many reports of this can be found on the Internet). I also had issues with Waterdrops clinging to the lens so,it would distort above water shots. the camera died mid cruise so we were "forced" to buy a new camera on the ship. Only brand they carried was Fuji. I had the Fuji WP and did not really care for it, but gave the XP a shot. It is ok. I have only used it a few times. The locking system makes me comfortable that it will not get waterlogged but the pictures are not as vibrant.

Another frequent cruiser, Mitsugirly, used the Kodak D10 but she went with the Olympus on her last purchase and loves it more than the Kodak. I would definitely do the same on my next purchase. I need to give the Fuji one more try in October before deciding to replace it.

Hope that helps!

Lauri

The best two Olympus and Ricoh cost $350, the best bang for your buck is the Fuji xp70 it was just replaced by the xp80 so you can pick it up for alittle more that a $100 if you can find one

John

I have found the Sony DSC-TX30 to be a great wee camera - small enough to wear on a belt pouch all the time, robust, fast, waterproof and pretty shock resistant - highly recommend it!

I love the Olympus Tough cameras so much that I actually have 2 of them. I have the models 620 & 830 and they take awesome pictures both underwater and above. They have some pretty neat "extra" features on them as well like the tilt shift photos (one of my favorites) and also you can video and take pictures at the SAME time on the 830.

All of my reviews (listed in my signature line) are done with these cameras over the last 3 years.