Nightlight for inside cabin?

ken02802

We've booked an inside cabin (no window; no balcony) to save money.

Should I bring night-lights or are they provided?

We're sailing on the NCL Pearl in Alaska this August. I'm concerned about it being too dark in the morning. I know we could leave the lights or TV on but that seems wasteful.

I figure I'll use my iPad for an alarm clock. It can also be used as a night light, if it's plugged in. We'll also have our cell phones as flashlights, if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've booked an inside cabin (no window; no balcony) to save money.

Should I bring night-lights or are they provided?

We're sailing on the NCL Pearl in Alaska this August. I'm concerned about it being too dark in the morning. I know we could leave the lights or TV on but that seems wasteful.

I figure I'll use my iPad for an alarm clock. It can also be used as a night light, if it's plugged in. We'll also have our cell phones as flashlights, if needed.

You should bring one unless you want to prop the bathroom door open (which is too bright for me but DW likes it).

Too bright for me too. This time I'm going to bring some of those LED tea lights for the bathroom.

Also got one of those soft green glow night lights. They don't need lightbulbs and are easier to pack.

Have a great cruise!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

We werent inside, but our balcony was just as dark at night with curtains closed. When we left the bathroom light on, but left the door closed, there was just enough light coming from underneath the door to give a tiny glow. Just enough to get find our way that direction if needed.

Thanks! The unanimous opinion seems to be to bring a night-light.

I'm adding it to my packing list!

In hotels there's usually enough ambient light for me to see, even in a "completely" dark room. But, with no windows, "dark" could be really dark! ;)

At home, we keep a tiny LED night-light on continuously. It's enough to see to walk around but not enough to disturb sleep. It uses about 1 watt and packs small.

We were on the Star for 26 days in an inside cabin. What we did for a nightlight and also to know when it was daylight was we left the tv on the ship's bow camera channel, turning off any sound if music was on.

There was just enough light to make it a nightlight and we were always able to know when it turned to daylight.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Star for 26 days in an inside cabin. What we did for a nightlight and also to know when it was daylight was we left the tv on the ship's bow camera channel, turning off any sound if music was on.

There was just enough light to make it a nightlight and we were always able to know when it turned to daylight.

Now that's a great idea that I'd never though of. Thanks!

That's what I love about CC! Useful advice from someone who's been there / done that.

I too was in an inside on the Dawn and didn't have a nightlight. I like the idea of the tea lights. It wasn't until 3 days in that I found the light in the closet. It worked very well as with the doors closed you could see just enough to walk to the bathroom without bumping into the table or desk chair.

When I have a balcony I usually find I have plenty of light to see by to move around the room. It's a bit dark in the bathroom unless I leave the door open. But I like sleeping with the curtains OPEN!

For those in the Studios, I found that leaving the "window" to the hallway unshuttered provided plenty of natural-seeming light. I really liked the adjustable lighting in there -- but still missed having actual daylight.

Edited by Valen9

• 2 months later...

Just got back from 8-day cruise to Alaska on the Pearl.

Based on the advice here, I brought a night light. Glad that I did!

With the room lights off, it was so dark that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. There was a tiny bit of light coming through the door's peak hole. That was enough to know where the door was but not enough to move around.

We trying leaving the TV one but decided it was too bright for us.

If we left the closet light on, the amount of light in the room was reasonable.

Even the night light I had brought from home proved to be too bright for us. I wound up blocking the light by putting something in front of it. That worked perfectly! Enough to get into and out of bed but not enough to be able to detect with my eyes shut.

I had selected an old 7-watt incandescent nightlight that we no longer use. I was afraid that I might lose it. Good decision. When I got home, I realized that I'd left it plugged in back on the ship. Hope someone can use it. :o

I believe the Pearl has a light under the shelf inside the closet that will provide a little bit of light under the door .

The battery operated tea lights are also very handy and nice.

On Dawn the closet light helped a lot . :D

On the Pearl last month, we just left the TV on the "bridge-cam" (sound down). Since it is a pretty static image, no flicker to speak of.

I know the OP is asking about an inside cabin but, as a side note, we were in a balcony cabin and always leave the curtains open day and night.