1st. Celebrity Cruise *Disabled* Questions?

Peery5

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise [Equinox] after having sailed on both Carnival and RCCL. Have always been able to book a handicap access room in the past but they are all spoken for on this cruise. As I require a mobility scooter for my muscular dystrophy, I plan either to take mine or rent one online. We have booked a C3 Concierge Class stateroom. My question(s) are:

1. If I can get my scooter into the stateroom, will there be enough room to walk around the room with the scooter present?

2. If I can't get the scooter into the room, what are the chances that our cabin steward could store it at night, securely, until the next day?

3. What are the chances that a handicap accessible room would become available between now and January?

Although I can walk a few feet with my cane, I definitely require my scooter for any ambulation.

I have sent an email to special needs at Celebrity but have not received an answer.

Thanks for any advice.

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise [Equinox] after having sailed on both Carnival and RCCL. Have always been able to book a handicap access room in the past but they are all spoken for on this cruise. As I require a mobility scooter for my muscular dystrophy, I plan either to take mine or rent one online. We have booked a C3 Concierge Class stateroom. My question(s) are:

1. If I can get my scooter into the stateroom, will there be enough room to walk around the room with the scooter present?

2. If I can't get the scooter into the room, what are the chances that our cabin steward could store it at night, securely, until the next day?

3. What are the chances that a handicap accessible room would become available between now and January?

Although I can walk a few feet with my cane, I definitely require my scooter for any ambulation.

I have sent an email to special needs at Celebrity but have not received an answer.

Thanks for any advice.

1. Only if you don't want to get from the door to the other side of the room, or your scooter is one of the tiny ones that take apart and fit into a box/case. Average width of standard scooter from 29-32 inches. Width of door on non-accessible cruise cabin 22-23 inches.

2. No, that is not permitted any more. You must keep your chair/scooter in your own cabin, and it MUST have gel cell batteries, or you cannot bring it with you.

3. You can only hope.

Accessible cabins tend to become available at or around the final payment date.

If you booked directly with Celebrity, you may have been told that there were no accessible cabins available, but that's not always the case. You can call Celebrity back and have them contact the Special Needs department to see if anything is available for you.

Bear in mind, if you book it yourself through Celebrity's website, none of the accessible cabins will show as available. Try looking at w w w. s e a s c a n n e r. c o m (remove all the spaces :rolleyes:) to see what's actually available.

See if there are any Sunset Veranda cabins available for your cruise. I had one on Solstice and it fit my scooter without any problem. It's a fantastic cabin and I had plenty of space to park the scooter and still have lots of walking around space in the cabin. But, make sure you get the Sunset Veranda where the bed is near the balcony window and not near the bathroom door---it makes a huge difference in how you manage the scooter.

You absolutely cannot leave the scooter in the hallway nor can you ask the cabin attendant to keep it for you. How would you contact him at the end of the night, especially when he's off duty? You have to keep the scooter in your cabin.

1. Only if you don't want to get from the door to the other side of the room, or your scooter is one of the tiny ones that take apart and fit into a box/case. Average width of standard scooter from 29-32 inches. Width of door on non-accessible cruise cabin 22-23 inches.

2. No, that is not permitted any more. You must keep your chair/scooter in your own cabin, and it MUST have gel cell batteries, or you cannot bring it with you.

3. You can only hope.

IMPORTANT: The door widths stated above are from side to side of the door frame . You need to deduct 2" for the depth of door that will cut into opened clearance.

it MUST have gel cell batteries, or you cannot bring it with you.

Could you define 'gel cell' for me? Would this be 'sealed lead acid' or 'lithium-ion'?

I am aware that there are issues with the lthium-ion battery when flying, but had not heard of any limitations on the type of battery used for mobility scooters on cruise ships.

Can you tell me where you found this information?

Marlee

It is no longer allowed to park a scooter outside the door of your own room. Too many people are crusing with scooters these days and the number of scooters has become a hazard when the hallways are blocked. Nor can you leave them in the elevator lobby on your floor.

There are no other storage areas for scooters.

Could you define 'gel cell' for me? Would this be 'sealed lead acid' or 'lithium-ion'?

I am aware that there are issues with the lthium-ion battery when flying, but had not heard of any limitations on the type of battery used for mobility scooters on cruise ships.

Can you tell me where you found this information?

Marlee

Neither. Gel means that the "liquid" inside the battery is in gel form so that it cannot leak, rather than the standard acid type battery. All cruise lines and airlines require gel batteries if you are transporting a scooter or power chair. It minimizes the risk of explosion and fire.

Incorrect information in previous posting.

Please check with your airline and cruise line for correct information.

No, it's not totally incorrect information. SOME cruise lines require the gel battery rather than the acid based. I know I had to sign a waiver before my Crystal cruise and input all the information about the battery. They would not let me board until they had this information about the scooter and the battery.

Incorrect information in previous posting.

Please check with your airline and cruise line for correct information.

Airlines are to follow the FAA regulations for Hazardous Materials regarding battery operated wheelchairs and scooters. Refer to pages 7 through 9 of the attached link from the FAA's website: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/media/MaterialsCarriedByPassengersAndCrew.pdf

Additionally it should be noted that in recent months the FAA has been updating the regulations for lithium batteries (like the ones being used in the compact TRAVELSCOOT portable scooter) "QUEENIE2" who is a regular poster on this forum and editor of Emerging Horizons has recently posted an update on Airlines regulations regarding lithium Batteries. Please refer to the following link http://barrierfreetravels.com/serendipity/archives/571-US-Airlines-Prohibited-From-Transporting-Lithium-Ion-Powered-Scooters.html

Most cruise lines do require scooters and electric wheelchairs spillable gel-cell batteries.

Airlines are to follow the FAA regulations for Hazardous Materials regarding battery operated wheelchairs and scooters. Refer to pages 7 through 9 of the attached link from the FAA's website: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/media/MaterialsCarriedByPassengersAndCrew.pdf

It should also be noted that the "exceptions" for mobility devices do not apply to li-ion powered scooters and wheelchairs. They are not considered "spillable" or "non-spillable" as defined for air travel. They are in a separate category, and as recently clarified by the PHMSA/DOT actually prohibited. It's explained further in my articles.

But (and I've done a lot of research on this) I've yet to find a cruise line that SPECIFICALLY prohibits li-ion bateries. Some do have limits (as noted in this thread) but the li-ion battery issue hasn't really been addressed yet. But then again we don't have ADAAG regs yet for cruise lines either.

Candy

The special needs number for Celebrity is 866-592-7225. They are open during the week, not weekends, and are incredibly helpful. The S-class have wonderful automatic doors, even in the public areas, as well as the hc cabins. These cabins have great set ups for electric scooters right by the beds so even someone who cannot walk at all can manage.

Keep checking for your perfect cabin and have a wonderful trip.

Received a reply email from "special needs". They said "once onboard to speak with your stateroom attendant and they would be able to store and charge your scooter".

That is a relief to all of us since we were unable to book a handicap stateroom. Hope this holds true. Thought I would post this for any others who were in the same predicament as myself.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Received a reply email from "special needs". They said "once onboard to speak with your stateroom attendant and they would be able to store and charge your scooter".

That is a relief to all of us since we were unable to book a handicap stateroom. Hope this holds true. Thought I would post this for any others who were in the same predicament as myself.

Thanks to all for your responses.

It's nice to know that you received the answer you were wanting . However it's really important for you to understand that the decision to have it stored out of your control has possible negative consequences.

• You store it at your own risk. The cruise line will not take any responsibilityshould something happen to the scooter while it's being stored.
  • The key has to be left with it when it's being stored. You can't be certain that the key will not lost. So you better have a spare key with you.
  • You have no control over who's using the scooter when it's not in your possession .The staff enjoys riding the scooters. Just look around in the dining room when they all come up asking you if they can park the scooter for you. I have seen on several occassions where when the dining room attendant was joy riding around the deck rather than parking it.
  • You can't be certain that it's actually being charged. Though the person storing it may have plugged it in for chargin , you can't be certain that another staff person doesn't come along and unplugs it because they need to sue the electrical socket.
  • Not certain how your scooter works but mine if the key is in the ignition . Even if's it turned off. Suggest you attach sheet with all charging instructions clearly stated. Also you need to tag it in several places with your name and cabin number.
  • You will always be at the mercy of having to find someone to go collect the scooter and bring it to you. Particularly if your room attendant is off duty. The wait can be a while.

XXOOCruiser:

Thanks for the advice. The special needs reply was not the exact answer that I was wanting but suffice it to say an answer none the less. I probably will not take mine but I will take my wheelchair and cane. I'll probably rent one like I did for our previous Alaska Cruise. It will be a 3-wheel one and is definitely smaller than my own, but, it serves the same purpose. Then I can insure it with their company in the event there are mechanical problems.

I have found that if you offer a generous tip to cabin stewards, they go the 'extra mile' to please a passenger(s). An extra $50. - $100. is not much to ensure that our whole traveling party has a memorable and enjoyable cruise.

It is no longer allowed to park a scooter outside the door of your own room. Too many people are crusing with scooters these days and the number of scooters has become a hazard when the hallways are blocked. Nor can you leave them in the elevator lobby on your floor.

There are no other storage areas for scooters.

This is what I've always read here (on Cruise Critic) but the following posts indicate otherwise. Is there a new policy on Celebrity regarding scooters? What about power wheelchairs?

XXOOCruiser:

Thanks for the advice. The special needs reply was not the exact answer that I was wanting but suffice it to say an answer none the less. I probably will not take mine but I will take my wheelchair and cane. I'll probably rent one like I did for our previous Alaska Cruise. It will be a 3-wheel one and is definitely smaller than my own, but, it serves the same purpose. Then I can insure it with their company in the event there are mechanical problems.

I have found that if you offer a generous tip to cabin stewards, they go the 'extra mile' to please a passenger(s). An extra $50. - $100. is not much to ensure that our whole traveling party has a memorable and enjoyable cruise.

I never bring my own scooter. Rather I rent one through CareVacations. Usually get the 3 wheel Elite Traveler Go Go. I ask them not to put the arms on it. This way I'm certain it will fit the the doorway of a standard cabin. BTW I usually book an inside cabin and have never had a problem with getting the scooter in or out. The trick is to have the cabin steward remove the coffee table. Push the desk chair in and park the scooter parallel to the desk. The scooter seat swivels so I use it when doing my makeup and hair at the desk instead of using the desk chair. I can also do a tight 3 point turn so I can drive it forward out of the cabin. This way it doesn't have to be stored out of my sight.

When I had the Sunset Veranda cabin on Solstice, it was perfect for my scooter, and I did not need to have the table removed. With the arms removed you just have to make sure you aim straight through the cabin door, head on. Otherwise, you will not fit. Also, when going over the doorway threshold, make certain you put the scooter in "turtle" mode or else the wheels will jam and the scooter will stop.

Be careful about not bringing any extension cords to plug in the scooter for charging. They are now illegal, and the cruise line is taking them out of every passenger's suitcase when they scan them for security. You cannot bring power strips anymore, either. So you'll have to make sure that you can park your scooter close enough to the desk where the plug is located in order for the supplied battery charger to reach the outlet.

As for Special Needs Department note, I've gotten that response also from Celebrity, but once I got on board, they were adamant that I could not rely on the room steward to store the scooter. The SND can say whatever they want, but it's up to those on board as to what really happens.

Kitty:

Thanks for the advice. But, where did you find the info. on extension cords. I can find nothing regarding your statement on Celebrity's web site nor anywhere else. I did find some new restrictions regarding Carnival but even at that, they say that "fans and extension cords may be removed if they pose a hazard". So I called Celebrity and they said that extension cords are not a problem. They prefer U/L listed, though.

For future reference: There are HC cabins on Infinity (and possibly others) on the very front of the ship that are enormous. We were in room 6005 (385 sq. ft.) that was easily as big as a suite. I could even turn the scooter around in the bathroom.

Kitty:

Thanks for the advice. But, where did you find the info. on extension cords. I can find nothing regarding your statement on Celebrity's web site nor anywhere else. I did find some new restrictions regarding Carnival but even at that, they say that "fans and extension cords may be removed if they pose a hazard". So I called Celebrity and they said that extension cords are not a problem. They prefer U/L listed, though.

Over on the Celebrity board, there is a huge discussion on this issue. They have not updated their website so it's not reflected there. But many, many recent cruisers have reported that their extension cords were removed from their bags and returned at the end of the cruise.

BTW, don't bother calling Celebrity with questions because they are always in the dark. Heck, I called with questions about their drink card packages and the guy I spoke with told me in no uncertain terms that Celebrity did NOT have drink cards, but he was wrong because they had started these cards 6 months earlier. So, those people at their call center know bupkis.

Here's the link to the Celebrity board and the discussion on how Celebrity is taking the cords:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1212403

Hi everyone:D

I am learning alot from everbody. I am taking my mom on a b2b cruise on the Solstice in Oct. We have a hc with a veranda 6137. Will the room be large enough to use the scooter in? She is also bringing her walker.

Thank you,

Carrie

Well, we just upgraded to Aqua class so we could get handicap access stateroom. That way I am sure that my mobility scooter could stay in the cabin with us. Although the cost was a little more, the extra room and peace of mind for an eleven night cruise far outways the cost. Has anyone else stayed in AC handicap access cabin on Celebrity? We have searched for videos or pics. without success and would very much like some pics. or input as to what to look forward to.

Archived