Meet and Greets - if you sign up, please attend

k4btzs

Hi all - I just wanted to put a reminder out there that if you sign up for a meet and greet, please make the effort to attend. They don't have to last long, they are painless, you can learn lots of information and meeting some great people.

I just recently returned from a cruise on Epic. We had over 45 folks sign up for the meet and greet. I was excited! The Epic staff was wonderful, they had name tags and a sign up sheet all laid out and a nice spread with coffee, juices and pastries. We had 7 officers show up! And guess what, out of those 45 that signed up... we had 10 people including myself there. I was very disappointed and honestly embarrased because they had gone to so much trouble to help us get this together and to attend and then folks did not show.

So please, if you sign up, come, enjoy - at least for a while so that they will agree to keep letting us do these meet and greets. I would hate to see them cancel this opportunity for us to meet other cruisers and the officers because people weren't showing up.

Thanks for reading my vent.

I, certainly understand your wanting to vent. We have hosted 2 M & G's

on the Dawn, and the Sun. The folk's at Norwegian, take this kinda serious. The ship's Officer's attend, they , bring all, the snack's, and refreshment's,and supply the room. Sometimes,thing's get in the way,making it difficult for people to attend, some time's they had no intention. You did what you could. Enjoy your cruising. All the best.

A couple of things I have learned organizing many roll calls plan on 50% of the total who post to show up and make sure the headcount you give NCL reflects that. I found asking members to confirm their attendance the last month. I have managed to get 95% of those that confirm. Current roll call I am keeping has 259 on it bit only 144 confirmed so I have told NCL to plan on 140.

I asked for cabin#s and I personally delivered reminders for the M&G on our last cruise. We had almost every single person show up - and even a few people who didn't know what CC was but heard us having a good time and wandered in. I found that many people have the best intentions of attending but get caught up in all that's going on the ship once they board. That's why the reminders are helpful.

On the Pride of America, everyone who showed up at our January Meet 'n Greet had Chocolate Covered Strawberries sent to their cabin by NCL. What a nice show of appreciation! On the last full day of the cruise, our roll call had a debriefing with NCL officers. They were anxious to get feed back on the cruise.

On the Pride of America, everyone who showed up at our January Meet 'n Greet had Chocolate Covered Strawberries sent to their cabin by NCL. What a nice show of appreciation! On the last full day of the cruise, our roll call had a debriefing with NCL officers. They were anxious to get feed back on the cruise.

Wow. Never heard of either of those things happening.

Hi all - I just wanted to put a reminder out there that if you sign up for a meet and greet, please make the effort to attend. They don't have to last long, they are painless, you can learn lots of information and meeting some great people.

I just recently returned from a cruise on Epic. We had over 45 folks sign up for the meet and greet. I was excited! The Epic staff was wonderful, they had name tags and a sign up sheet all laid out and a nice spread with coffee, juices and pastries. We had 7 officers show up! And guess what, out of those 45 that signed up... we had 10 people including myself there. I was very disappointed and honestly embarrased because they had gone to so much trouble to help us get this together and to attend and then folks did not show.

So please, if you sign up, come, enjoy - at least for a while so that they will agree to keep letting us do these meet and greets. I would hate to see them cancel this opportunity for us to meet other cruisers and the officers because people weren't showing up.

Thanks for reading my vent.

I agree with your post/vent.

I asked for cabin#s and I personally delivered reminders for the M&G on our last cruise. We had almost every single person show up - and even a few people who didn't know what CC was but heard us having a good time and wandered in. I found that many people have the best intentions of attending but get caught up in all that's going on the ship once they board. That's why the reminders are helpful.

Great idea Carmen!

I was curious about a few things. I'm organizing my first M+M and we have 15 people signed up for it so far( 7 are from my party lol), it is a pretty quiet posting page, and we are still 7 months out from sailing.

What I was wondering is do most cruise Roll Call get a bigger bump in members just before a sailing, is there a minimal number of attendees that NCL will accommodate with a formal M+M?

I was thinking if we only had 20 sign up, and half might show up, should I bother asking NCL for a meet spot?

Thanks for any advice.

I agree about attending, but there are occasions where NCL schedules events at the same time as the M&G. I have hosted quite a few, and always tell people that usually the Poker Tournament will interfere with the M&G, so to let me know if they are planning/hoping to do that tournament. On our last two sailings, NCL also hosted the Platinum Ship Tours at the exact same time as the M&Gs and that is a big issue, since many CC members are Platinums - I missed out on both tours as M&G Host (my first and only two since making Platinum)!

Robin

I was curious about a few things. I'm organizing my first M+M and we have 15 people signed up for it so far( 7 are from my party lol), it is a pretty quiet posting page, and we are still 7 months out from sailing.

What I was wondering is do most cruise Roll Call get a bigger bump in members just before a sailing, is there a minimal number of attendees that NCL will accommodate with a formal M+M?

I was thinking if we only had 20 sign up, and half might show up, should I bother asking NCL for a meet spot?

Thanks for any advice.

I suspect you will get a lot more signing up as the sailings gets much closer.

Robin

Thanks for any advice.

I'm currently planning our M&G and it did take a while for people to really start posting in our Roll Call. It was very slow at first. We are currently 1 month away and I would say, the last 2 months have been the busiest. So, don't give up, give it time.

That was our experience on the America as well. Those officers really set the bar high! One of our best experiences ever.

I agree it can be highly embarassing to help organize a M&G, function as a sort of cheerleader for the upcoming cruise, submit a signup list to the Group Event Coordinator, comprised of those Roll Call members who also decide they wish to attend a meeting on their NCL cruise with ship's officers....and then have a small turnout. It would seem to say something about us to them, and how they might view us in future :(

BTW: We've had anywhere from 20 to 50 people sign up and had between 12 and 30 show up...so around half showed up in our experiences aboard the Spirit, Sky and Jewel, respectively. NCL had 6-8 officers attend on 2 of the get togethers, with just the HD and CD stopping by for our largest.

Between signing in, donning a name tag, the introduction of officers and grabbing some light refreshments, takes roughly 15 minutes of your crusin' vacay...and if you choose to say hi and participate in a little Q&A about your ship/NCL as a whole, add on another 10-15 minutes...so not a huge committment. YMMV.

Extras such as small gift exchange, slot tournament, cabin crawls and what have you are just frosting on an already lovely cake. How fun to put faces to CC 'handles' and share a bit of fun during your week (or whatever) time together.

Of course, life happens, conflicts occur and I myself am now getting more forgetful, but color me proud that NCL listens and shows an interest in CC members as a savvy consumer feedback entity. Pay it foreward for future pax having a voice as well :cool:

Please try to understand that just because folks post on a Roll Call does not mean they will or be obligated to attend the Meet & Greet.

LuLu

~~~~

Posting on a Roll Call and signing up for, or saying you will attend, a M & G, are two different things.

It's embarassing for the person who sets it up to have more officers than passengers attend, not to mention bad manners.

Posting on a Roll Call and signing up for, or saying you will attend, a M & G, are two different things.

It's embarassing for the person who sets it up to have more officers than passengers attend, not to mention bad manners.

Agreed. I only go to the M&G depending on who I'm cruising with. I know I won't make it to my next one, so said so on the roll call. If I say I'm going to go, I will go, even if only for a few minutes.

Honestly for all the chit chat and friendliness of the Roll Call, most Meet and Greets are people sitting, looking around and not talking. At least the ones I've been to, it's too bad.

I would never give my cabin number to a stranger, but that's just me. I usually do the opposite, I just show up for the M&G. No need to sign up for it.

Well that's pretty rude. The person organizing it needs to know how many people intend to show up so he or she can give that number to NCL. Have you no consideration for others?

Well that's pretty rude. The person organizing it needs to know how many people intend to show up so he or she can give that number to NCL. Have you no consideration for others?

Wow. I find your comment a bit rude.

This person is concerned about their personal safety and you take the time to belittle them.

I completely understand why they may not want to share their cabin numbers with strangers. You should as well.

Here are Cruise Critic rules on posting personal information including cabin numbers.

Guard Your Personal Information Carefully

It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. Also, keeping as much information about yourself private should be your first priority. Think carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum, such as your stateroom number or your real name, city, state and dates of cruising!

If we come across a posting that contains too much personal information, we will remove it automatically. It is, however, *your* responsibility to keep your personal information safe. If you see too much information on the boards, please use the Report a Post feature, or write to boards@cruisecritic.com with a LINK to the specific posting/thread.

I know this is a NCL thread, but it doesn't appear that our September RCCL Liberty is going to have a m&g. There's 3 people on the roll call. The person who started the thread didn't make it sounds very exciting, and it doesn't seem like any one of us know how to plan a m&g. (I'll be attending my first one in May.)

Is there a way to take that thread and change the heading or something to make it sound a little more exciting?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Archived