Turkish Air to VCE June 2014

Mineu

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience flying with Turkish Air. We would save quite a bit of $$- but would have a 4 hour drive to Houston with layovers in Istanbul both ways. The agent I spoke with said due to the length of the layovers we would be provided with a free hotel room at the airport. Is the process fairly easy or not worth the trouble? Thanks

We also will be flying on Turkish Air next month (for $233 lee pp than any other carrier) We'll be on a non stop JFK-Istanbul. I've been reading that it has a very high satisfaction rating and is considered "one of the best" European carriers.

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience flying with Turkish Air. We would save quite a bit of $$- but would have a 4 hour drive to Houston with layovers in Istanbul both ways. The agent I spoke with said due to the length of the layovers we would be provided with a free hotel room at the airport. Is the process fairly easy or not worth the trouble? Thanks

Yes, very true about the free hotels. If you have a "forced" layover, ie there's no other flight leaving that day then you get free lodging! Should be ample time to pop into Istanbul to see some stuff.

We also will be flying on Turkish Air next month (for $233 lee pp than any other carrier) We'll be on a non stop JFK-Istanbul. I've been reading that it has a very high satisfaction rating and is considered "one of the best" European carriers.

I flew TK last year from Washington-IAD to Istanbul-IST in economy and was very pleased. Their service was excellent! I'll try to find and upload a few pictures of the cabin....

EDIT: Uploaded a few here: http://www.weekendblitz.com/turkish-air-photos/

IMG_4438-600x450.jpg

IMG_4440-600x450.jpg

Edited by jmgriffin
add photos

Yes, very true about the free hotels. If you have a "forced" layover, ie there's no other flight leaving that day then you get free lodging! Should be ample time to pop into Istanbul to see some stuff.

I flew TK last year from Washington-IAD to Istanbul-IST in economy and was very pleased. Their service was excellent! I'll try to find and upload a few pictures of the cabin....

Please do:)

We are travelling Manchester UK to Singapore via Istanbul. We were wary about booking as the price was so much cheaper than all the other airlines (why?), but reviews are good, so we decided to risk it

EDIT: Uploaded a few here: http://www.weekendblitz.com/turkish-air-photos/

IMG_4438-600x450.jpg

IMG_4440-600x450.jpg

Wow-those are great! Thanks! Which menu did you select-there are too many to choose from...

Are these pictures of standard coach cabin seats? If so, what aircraft?

Thx

Yes, that's a standard coach on a Turkish Air Airbus 340-300 about to take off from Washington-IAD to Istanbul-IST.

It looks like the IAH-IST route is operated by a Boeing 777-300ER, who knows if that will be the case by Apr 2013 though. They're configured with 28 Business + 63 Comfort + 246 Economy seats.

Here's a video someone shot while flying "Comfort Class":

Please do:)

We are travelling Manchester UK to Singapore via Istanbul. We were wary about booking as the price was so much cheaper than all the other airlines (why?), but reviews are good, so we decided to risk it

No need to be wary, Turkish has been releasing some very cheap fares over the past few months, mostly because they've been adding routes to the US like crazy. The Houston route is new and they just announced a route to Boston starting in 2014.

Flew them in April from Frankfurt to Nairobi and received a free tour of Istanbul for in transit passengers including small vehicle transport, driver and guide, sit down meal, and all entrance fees paid by the airline.

The service was very good but planes were older.

Great onboard service, their new planes are wonderful, but the planes on the European routes are a bit outdated. Also, their own ground staff (not handling staff, but TK ticketing staff) are sometimes aren't always the way they should be in terms of service.

But give me TK over any other European airline.

I think we're going to book-but have a few questions:

1. Our flight arrives in IST at 15:55 and departs the next day at 8:15 so, we qualify for the free hotel-will they let us retrieve our checked bags to take to the hotel? Same thing on the return-arrive from Venice at 17:45 depart for Houston the next day at 13:05.

2. We would like to explore the city-will we need a visa? Thanks

I think we're going to book-but have a few questions:

1. Our flight arrives in IST at 15:55 and departs the next day at 8:15 so, we qualify for the free hotel-will they let us retrieve our checked bags to take to the hotel? Same thing on the return-arrive from Venice at 17:45 depart for Houston the next day at 13:05.

2. We would like to explore the city-will we need a visa? Thanks

There's any extensive thread on this over at FlyerTalk, it should answer all of your questions and more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1429423-faq-8-free-hotel-tour-when-connecting-ist.html

Sorry-one more question (hopefully). I have been corresponding with a travel agency in Istanbul about tours. The agent there has offered to book our air as she said it can be less expensive if booked through a Turkish agency than through the website. Any dangers booking this way? Thanks!

Sorry-one more question (hopefully). I have been corresponding with a travel agency in Istanbul about tours. The agent there has offered to book our air as she said it can be less expensive if booked through a Turkish agency than through the website. Any dangers booking this way? Thanks!

You won't have the same consumer protections that you would if a US agency messed up the reservation, went out of business, never paid the airline, etc. OTOH if they seem like a major, reputable agency then it's not as much of a concern.

The bigger issue is the exchange rate and credit card transaction fees applied. Some foreign companies provide the "convenience" of converting the cost to US dollars at a very unfavorable exchange rate. Insist they submit the credit card charge in local currency and let your CC company do the conversion. Also, your CC may charge a fee from 0-5% for non-US transactions. Be sure all this will result in real savings...it sounds like the agency hasn't provided the actual cost.

Lastly, be sure the tickets aren't bulk or consolidator tickets, or be aware of the difference.

Hope this helps!

We have been to Turkey a number of times. We have found that it is MUCH less expensive to book your flights in Turkey on a Turkish web site. They have several very good discount airlines, one of which is owned by Turkish Airlines.

If you are flying in and out of Istanbul to/from other Turkish cities, be aware that there are two airports-IST and the one on the Asia side.

We checked on air prices for a three flight trip within Turkey. The price per person on Kayak and Expedia was just over $600.. We then went to a Turkish site and booked the same flights/same dates, etc. for $ 210. We used our credit card...no issues whatsoever. On the same trip we were also going to tour Cappadocia on our own. We found that it was easier and more cost effective to book a tour with a company in Goreme.

We typically find that it is much more cost effective to book vacations in Europe with European agents-especially with UK agents. NA TAs seem to be much more expensive, and in some cases, simply do not seem to have access to some of these deals.

Edited by iancal

IAD-IST-TLV and then reverse for the return. Overall a very good flight, several excellent meals, snacks, liquor, excellent IFE. My only complaint was it was very difficult to book seats. We had to call several times; 30 days out for the IAD-IST legs and 7 days out for the IST-TLV legs, and even then, they ended up changing aircrafts and we got totally different seats.

• 1 month later...