Planning world cruise

PeteBull64

Hi all, glad to be here.

We are planning a world cruise for 2016 or 2017. I know its still early but for me to plan on the budget its important to have a good idea of what cruise line we gonna use.

Our priority in cruising are in order :

Food

Entertainment

Ports

The rest we can live with ( we dont care being in a inside room per example )

We cruised twice so far once on Diamond Princess 16 days Asian cruise and once on RCCL Liberty on a 7 days med cruise.

We enjoyed princess a lot more.

Budget is a factor as I like prices from Princess or HAL but not so much that Id consider P&O or Fred Olsen.

Like Oceania ports a lot but the price is at the extreme limit of the budget.

Suggestions and comments are appreciate please

Pierre and Thelma

Welcome to Cruise Critic Pierre and Thelma

I'm like you - looking to do a world cruise in 3 or 4 years. I've had a number of cruises on several different lines so have narrowed down my choice of cruise line for a world cruise.

Unless you are going on Cunard or P&O, other lines which offer world cruises tend to have ships quite a bit smaller than the Diamond Princess and Liberty so whichever cruise line you decide on it might be a good idea to try a shorter cruise on that particular ship to see if you like it.

I'm following several world cruise blogs at present by passengers on 4 different cruise lines and this is also giving me an idea of what entertainment and enrichment programs are on board (eg watercolour, cooking and photography classes and lectures etc). Some of the smaller ships such as on Oceania and Crystal don't seem to offer as many entertainment venues, especially in the evenings.

I could do a world cruise out of Sydney on Princess Australia which would have me miss our 'winter' but at this stage I am leaning more towards HAL - it just depends on the final itinerary as to which year I will do it. I like the size of the Amsterdam and the size of its cabins and after reading several bloggers on its world cruises over the last few years know that HAL's world cruises generally offer a higher standard of food, service, entertainment and lecturers than on its normal cruises which I have been happy with. Hopefully this will continue into the future.

So, my advice is to keep researching and reading. I'm sure others will come on here and give their views too.

Bev

TY Bescotti, any chance you would post the links of the blogs u are actually following ? Id like to read that too

Thanks

Pierre

Hi

Here are some of them:

HAL:

http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com.au/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1954366

http://gowithme.net/

http://snoopsistercruiser.wordpress.com/

Cunard:

http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com.au/

Keith on Crystal is also doing a live blog but you have to go across to the Crystal board to contact him to get access to his blog.

A woman is on P&O's Aurora doing the world voyage but hasn't posted after the first day so I haven't put that link here. If I find the blog becomes active I'll add it.

The top 2 links are by passengers who have done several world cruises and while Jeff concentrates on photos John and Dianne answer questions along the way and give pretty unbiased impressions of the ship, fellow passengers, food etc.

Hope this helps,

Bev

I forgot to add that there are always a number of blogger on the Princess Australia world cruise which leaves Sydney in May each year but none are active at the moment.

It's also worthwhile reading the roll calls of the world cruises as you can pick up lots of ideas as they prepare for their cruises and also links to anyone doing live blogs.

Unless you are going on Cunard or P&O, other lines which offer world cruises tend to have ships quite a bit smaller than the Diamond Princess and Liberty so whichever cruise line you decide on it might be a good idea to try a shorter cruise on that particular ship to see if you like it.

Excellent suggestion, and I've noticed the same thing about ship size. For example, the ship that Princess currently uses apparently doesn't offer "anytime" dining and thus is probably a non-starter for me. :-(

Hi all, glad to be here.

We are planning a world cruise for 2016 or 2017. I know its still early but for me to plan on the budget its important to have a good idea of what cruise line we gonna use.

Food

Entertainment

Ports

We cruised twice so far once on Diamond Princess 16 days Asian cruise and once on RCCL Liberty on a 7 days med cruise.

Budget is a factor as I like prices from Princess or HAL but not so much that Id consider P&O or Fred Olsen.

Pierre and Thelma

We have done a world in 2006 and I really think you need to be in an outside cabin. Its ok to be inside on a short cruise but it will be like prison for 3 months trip. We are on for next year 2015 on a 112 night World on QE Cunard and we like the food and entertainment. You need the light coming into your cabin in the morning for the brain to sort of work properly, especially when you have early morning excursions to be ready for.

Hope that helps.

Koo

We originally booked the 2015 Princess w/c out of LA but changed to the 180 Oceania.

I compared a lot of factors. While Oceania had a higher per day cost, they include a lot more making the cost closer. They came out ahead in most of the comparison points I looked at.

For us the main thing against the Princess cruise was too many sea days - over 60%. Both cruises (originally sister ships) actually circled the world, Oceania did it in 69 more days meaning a lot more ports with a lot more overnights.

Oceania does not have a great rep. for entertainment but they have not yet done a full w/c so it may be different on the long voyage.

The 180 day is a long cruise but segments are available - all the cheap cabins sold out very quick.

Most so called world cruises do not fully circle the world - they get called world cruise as they cover so many areas, this means from North America there is a need for a longer flight usually at the end.

Looking at the blogs suggested will be very helpful in giving a feel for life on board far beyond what can be done in single post here.

Unfortunately, I cant afford Oceania at 42k/pers. My budget for the trip is about 60-65K for 2.

I will have to settle with either P&O / Fred Olsen / Princess / HAL / Cunard

Priority goes to Food and Evening shows. Thats what we love most.

Then itinary is next.

Im really not sure about P&O and Fred Olsen, they scare me...reviews arent that good...

I know princess but I hear quality is going down lately...

Im trying HAL this spring...heard mostly good things about it...

I dont know what to think about Cunard yet

I also read in a review that sometime prices goes down a lot if you wait long enough...anyone knows about that ?

Pete

I will have to settle with either P&O / Fred Olsen / Princess / HAL / Cunard

I've also been tackling this dilemma. For me, I would strongly prefer embarking/debarking in North America. That probably limits the "affordable" choices to Princess, HAL and Cunard.

I like the Cunard itineraries, but their dress code is a bit too formal for me.

The smaller boat that Princess uses sounds great, but it apparently doesn't offer "anytime" dining. So probably doesn't work for me.

So that leaves HAL, which would probably be fine, but I'll wait for further restrictions in their smoking policy before booking myself onboard for 3 months.

Most so called world cruises do not fully circle the world...

I suppose what most people consider to be a 'round the world cruise is an "equatorial orbit." But there are other ways of doing it that just as much "circle the world." These would include a "polar orbit" (yes, of course, a cruise line can't go DIRECTLY over the poles...) or a "hemispheric orbit." Many cruises, as you note, fall into the latter category.

It would be interesting to trace some of the itineraries on an actual globe rather than a flat map. This would probably give a more accurate impression as to what is or isn't 'round the world. :-)

Not that any of this really makes a difference. An "equatorial orbit" is what I'm looking for. :-)

Pete, Will be interesting, as I assume you are a Frenchman, to see what you end up with.Most of the cruises are on Brit ships with Brit food.I am a single lady who has decided to do a WC in next few yrs. I agree with Wayne about O, which I have cruised. Best food, itins and service. Just below Luxury lines.Note fewer sea days too. But a small ship, same size as Pacific Princess. I probably will end up combining cruises. And they change itins. yearly.A wonderful blog is Kweenkaren.com if still up.

Hi zoncom, I am actually a french Canadian. Does it show that much in my writing lol...You sure could tell when I speak tho.

Oceania 180 seriously looks great but we simply cant. We have 6 months off but after the cruise my wife and I are going to walk Compostelle part 2 ( 2 months walk ) so only 4 months available.

Is the brit food so hard to digest ? LOL

But yeah food IS a factor and thats why im scared about lower end like P&O and Fred Olsen.

Unfortunately budget is also a huge factor. Like said before max we can spend is about 65K for both.

At this time its a tie between HAL, Princess and Cunard.

If I was going in 2015 I think Id go with Queen Victoria. Like the reviews and the itinary AND the deals :)

2017 still far but will come fast

Pete

I guess British food not my style. Does Cunard still have 2/3 classes with different dining rooms? Used to.I have a Princess 14-15 Atlas. Shows them all. They will send you one, complimentary.2015 Pacific has really extensive WC, nice. Pacific does Alaska 2014 out of Vancouver if you wish to try out ship.Dawn does 4 segments on 14 WC. HAL has beautiful ships but the oldest clientale.

Yes zon they still do, depending on the cabin you take cunard will assign you a different dining room...witch is a tad annoying...feels like the 1910 era when 3rd class cruisers were eating down below...on they other hand if foos is still excellent on the main DR and it can lower my cost a little why not...

I am already a past princess customer so I should get that atlas.

I am please my WC is not 2015 because I dont like the princess 2015 WC itinary...not enough ports vs sea days.

Im also waiting for more reviews on Princess because lately I heard the quality was going down especially on the evening shows...

Its so hard to find reviews that you can actually use because we are all different. Some blogs I am reading are interesting but those bloggers dont do evening shows...

But I realize at some point Ill have to choose and dive...but usually once I decide I dont look backward anymore...good thing for me :)

Pete

O is offering 8 (yes eight), segments on their first one. Came out in Sept. according to Oceania site here. .Blog is Oceania 2015 World Cruises by HostAndy. Several pages long, post 106 by Pacheo18 has the segment divisions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the 2015 WC segments on O Insignia are reduced in the upper 60% off. Several include 109N at 28K,Sing.-LA, 93N at 24K Good perks too. On V site..These will not break the bank and serve as guides for possible reductions for 2016. Theres hope for me.

• 4 weeks later...

The 60%+ off is misleading. All Oceania cruises are sold at a minimum of 50% off brochure price - they call it 2 for 1 pricing but it really just over priced brochure price that cruises are never sold at.

The world cruise started selling last July at 70% off (2 for 1 plus additional 20%) with lots of extras included. Brouchure price went up slightly and the 2 for 1 price also went up at the same time. It is a long time to be away but on a per day price basis it is a great deal for an Oceania cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all, glad to be here.

Food

Entertainment

Ports

Pierre and Thelma

Pierre & Thelma,

As fellow Canadians, when planning a WC, if considering a departure and return to a US port you also need to remember that we are limited in the number of days we spent each year in the US.

On shorter cruises from and returning to a US port we have to count the entire number of days aboard ship as being in the US. This may also apply to a WC.

For this reason we discounted the Princess WC departing Fort Lauderdale and will only consider those from UK or Australia.

• 4 weeks later...

Just catching up on this forum and have a couple of comments.

Neither HAL nor Cunard have anytime dining on world voyages (Cunard only has it if you are in a suite [the Grills]).

Other than eating in different dining rooms (with different selections of food), there is really not a "class" system on Cunard. The bars, entertainment, activities, etc. are open to all. Unless someone mentioned it, I never knew who was in the "Grills" and who were not.