Disney Fanstasy Inaugural Preview Cruise highlights

@joetolley

With it's maiden voyage a week later, we were among the first passengers aboard the Disney Fantasy for this press event, and we tried to break it in as much as we could. Here is a list of our ten favorite experiences while on this three-night cruise.

7030948617_bc36c730db.jpg

An Art Director's Dream

As an art director, I was immediately in awe of the detail, design and thought put into every inch of this ship. It was truly amazing how NOTHING was stock. Light fixtures, carpeting, color schemes, wall textures,... completely custom form stern to bow.

7030956301_c301e3cec4.jpg7030952559_df6127d169.jpg

Cabanas – A horse trough with class

Yeah it's a buffet, but its the nicest one I've feasted at on a cruise ship. It was not open during dinner hours on this particular cruise, but their morning and afternoon displays were spot-on. From fresh donuts to eggs benedict for breakfast and crablegs to cured meats and cheeses for lunch, dinners became quite a struggle as the week progressed.

Muppet Show Mystery – Finally, a good use for "QR codes"

The girls had a blast with this interactive, ship-wide scavenger hunt. There are, I think, four different scenarios of which they did two. I wish I had a pedometer with me. We definitely burned some calories.

Video –>

Pirate Party

The second night of the cruise, the pool was covered and transformed into a giant stage and dance floor. Jack Sparrow made his cameo as the "pirate" cast performed on deck. About 20 minutes into it, the fireworks began. Projectile dynamite on top of a giant deisel tank? Who am I to judge? After the explosive finale, the music started blaring and we all danced until the wee hours of the morning. Well, about 10 minutes. Madden couldn't hang.

Video –>

Pelican Plunge

The only stop the ship made was to Castaway Cay, Disney's private island. There's nothing bahamian about it and everything Disney about it. I'm not a big fan. But they now have the Pelican Plunge, a sweet waterslide floating 50 feet off shore... I'm still waiting for space mountain.

Video –>

Men's Locker Room

What? that's not creepy. The showers in the cabins are too small. The ones in the spa area are at least 4 times their size and full of aromotherapy. Add a 20-minute steam prior and I'm as good as new. Besides, the spa's too expensive. Don't judge me.

Eye Scream – Sugar and fat deliciousness whenever you want it

You can't just not eat an ice cream cone every time you walk by. That would be rude.

7046659277_f6fb576884.jpg

The Europa District – No kids allowed

Europa is the adult nightlife area on the ship and its awesome. It's made up of five bars offering up their own themes and signature drinks. We started off at The Tube, the Fantasy's night club designed after the Original London underground... and that's pretty much where we parked for the night. There's also a martini bar, an Irish pub and a champagne lounge. Maybe next time.

7030932131_cdf0cc67fa.jpg6884835086_ec7f6100d7.jpg

Animator's Palate – Dinner "Theater"

One of three main restaraunts, the Animator's Palate features a crazy-unique dinner experience. Prior to dinner all patrons were given a "placemat" to draw a character of our own choosing. During dessert, the following was shown on about 50 screens throughout the restaurant:

Video –>

The Aquaduck – The first water coaster at sea

It turns out, Disney Cruise Line doesn't allow recording devices on this ride. Don't tell anyone.

Video –>

Unfortunately it was only a three-night cruise. The Fantasy was built to entertain for it's seven-night itineraries it will be sailing, and it feels like we didn't even scratch the surface. But, with as much as they have to offer, I'm not sure seven nights would be long enough either.

Full photo Gallery here

This was an awesome report!! Thank you!

Love all the photos and videos as well.

We sail on the Fantasy in 36 days so I've been devouring any and all info..... So far, yours is right up there as one of the best!

I watched your AquaDuck videos onTwitter when you posted them!! Loved it! I do love AquaDuck!

May I ask why CC is not a "Bahamian" island? What about it don't you like?

Thank you!!

Thanks for all the comments. I love being able to post stuff like this.

May I ask why CC is not a "Bahamian" island? What about it don't you like?

Thank you!!

It's just purely my snobby point of view.

I love cruising mainly because of travelling to different destinations and getting a taste of other cultures/flavors. I'm not a fan of ALL the cruise line private islands (and Disney is by far the best of them - I haven't been to RCCL Labadee though) because they are nothing more than an extension of the cruise brand (of which Disney is the worst) and an attempt to get even MORE of your money.

Castaway Cay, though very beautiful, is Orlando in the middle of blue water. Disney as far as the eyes can see. inhabited and employed by Disney, not locals. One of the lifeguards I talked to was Australian, cool, but wrong hemisphere. I just had no sense of being somewhere else. And the beaches are beautiful because they are man-made and groomed every morning, lacking in authenticity.

Having said that, like everything else Disney, everything on the island is top-notch. Beautiful landscaping, great rustic design, SAFE, clean,.... just not bahamian.

If you don't mind that, its great and you'll love it. But if you love a sense of being somewhere else, it'll probably fall short.

I loved it the first time I went there. This was my third DCL cruise. If I'm fortunate enough to have a fourth, I would just as soon stay on board and enjoy the ship.

Joe I totally agree with your self admitted snobby attitude! Lol

I was just curious to hear your views on it. I too think it is a beautiful island and while I know I'm in the Bahamas

...... Your description is dead on. I myself, while I LOVE traveling and going to foreign and new destinations,do not mind laying in a lounge chair on a beautiful beach for an afternoon. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Joe - in the video of Pelican Plunge, where was the camera? We clearly see both your hands as you launched yourself.

Both that video and the AquaDuck are using a GoPro camera, strapped to my head. Best $200 bucks I've spent. Of course I look like an idiot, but I'll never see those people again :)

Joe I totally agree with your self admitted snobby attitude! Lol

I was just curious to hear your views on it. I too think it is a beautiful island and while I know I'm in the Bahamas

...... Your description is dead on. I myself, while I LOVE traveling and going to foreign and new destinations,do not mind laying in a lounge chair on a beautiful beach for an afternoon. :)

Thanks for the reply!

No prob. Thanks for reading :)

Thanks for all the comments. I love being able to post stuff like this.

It's just purely my snobby point of view.

I love cruising mainly because of travelling to different destinations and getting a taste of other cultures/flavors. I'm not a fan of ALL the cruise line private islands (and Disney is by far the best of them - I haven't been to RCCL Labadee though) because they are nothing more than an extension of the cruise brand (of which Disney is the worst) and an attempt to get even MORE of your money.

Castaway Cay, though very beautiful, is Orlando in the middle of blue water. Disney as far as the eyes can see. inhabited and employed by Disney, not locals. One of the lifeguards I talked to was Australian, cool, but wrong hemisphere. I just had no sense of being somewhere else. And the beaches are beautiful because they are man-made and groomed every morning, lacking in authenticity.

Having said that, like everything else Disney, everything on the island is top-notch. Beautiful landscaping, great rustic design, SAFE, clean,.... just not bahamian.

If you don't mind that, its great and you'll love it. But if you love a sense of being somewhere else, it'll probably fall short.

I loved it the first time I went there. This was my third DCL cruise. If I'm fortunate enough to have a fourth, I would just as soon stay on board and enjoy the ship.

Sounds perfect to me. Exactly what I want out of a private island stop. :D Thanks so much for your pictures and review. Very entertaining!

Loved your videos Joe!! I'm the one on your roll call with the teenage daughter in the wheelchair so you're videos of the aquaduck and waterslide made me feel like I was there! We didn't even make it over to Castaway Cay so we'll have to do that another time.

I totally agree with all your view points. Thought the buffet was the best cruise buffet I've ever seen, loved Animator's Palate and my daughter played all four of the mid-ship detective agency games (in a wheelchair which meant I pushed her all over the ship). Worked off some calories though!

Can't wait to go again. Your photos are awesome!

Loved your videos Joe!! I'm the one on your roll call with the teenage daughter in the wheelchair so you're videos of the aquaduck and waterslide made me feel like I was there! We didn't even make it over to Castaway Cay so we'll have to do that another time.

I totally agree with all your view points. Thought the buffet was the best cruise buffet I've ever seen, loved Animator's Palate and my daughter played all four of the mid-ship detective agency games (in a wheelchair which meant I pushed her all over the ship). Worked off some calories though!

Can't wait to go again. Your photos are awesome!

Thanks so much. I think I we may have past you guys on one of your four detective games. So you liked how one clue was deck 3 forward and the next was deck 8 aft, I see. :)

We didn't get off at Castaway Cay (it looked so gorgeous from the ship!) so we spent hours doing the game. My back was so sore the next day from pushing her wheelchair around. Plus we had to use the elevators every single time instead of running the stairs. Definitely a great way to work off calories.

Thanks for the great post and videos! December can't get here fast enough for me!

Question for you on the Aquaduck - do they shut it down at night or is it open when it's dark as well? Seems it would be fun to ride in the dark too... :eek:

Thank you so much for uploading your lovely photos. My daughter Jessica works in the Irish bar. I keep looking for her in photos but never find her. Loved your videos too. I'm thinking of buying a Go Pro camera too but can't decide if I'd ever use it?

fantastic report!!!

can anyone use the spa lockers rooms?

is there a fee?

you mention pre-shower steam - is there a steam room in the locker room?

Showers are open to everyone. There are only 3 (one for disabled) so it may be full at peak gym times. But, yeah, there's a steam room that seats 3-4, towels, robes, creams, shaving supplies... I actually seek these out on all cruises. Hard to go back to the cabin shower after doing so, though.

Thanks for the great post and videos! December can't get here fast enough for me!

Question for you on the Aquaduck - do they shut it down at night or is it open when it's dark as well? Seems it would be fun to ride in the dark too... :eek:

Not exactly sure how late it's open. Maybe 9, 10pm? But yes it's awesome to ride under the lights.

Thank you so much for uploading your lovely photos. My daughter Jessica works in the Irish bar. I keep looking for her in photos but never find her. Loved your videos too. I'm thinking of buying a Go Pro camera too but can't decide if I'd ever use it?

At that price point, buy it. You'll find a reason. I have a bike mount, sticker mounts and of course a head strap. Check out these videos from our last cruise. Worth the price right there in my opinion:

Archived